Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Flickering Apple Logo and Cancel Symbol

Hi, I bought a MacBook Air from a lawyer. I didn't know how to restore it so I deleted a ton of files manually. I think I deleted a file I wasn't supposed to. It boots to a flickering apple and cancel sign. Help! MacBook Air running 10.6.8 (no superdrive) I believe its 2011. Can I make a boot disk on a usb drive? Thanks

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 7:25 PM

23 replies

Apr 6, 2014 8:11 PM in response to Nasher98

If your Air is a MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later), download and install Mavericks. Mavericks is a free update. You can check this site to see if you have any expensive software that would require updating first.

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

I suggest you clone the drive first using one of these free clone apps.

SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

CCC http://www.bombich.com/download.html

Apr 7, 2014 10:09 AM in response to dianeoforegon

upgrading to Mavericks has a LOT of consequences.

research the abilities and features that are available in Snow Leopard, but no longer available in Mavericks - there are many - versus the abilities and features that are available in Mavericks but no in Snow Leopard (fewer).

If you have proof of purchase then an appointment with a genius at an Apple Store could help - they can reinstall Snow Leopard for you, and maybe give you some pointers too.

Apr 9, 2014 3:36 PM in response to Nasher98

If it is indeed a 2011 model, it came with Lion, 10.7.x.

Restart and hold down the Command+Option+R keys to boot into Internet Recovery mode. Once at the work screen, use Disk Utility to erase the drive. Exit Disk Utility and install OS X. The machine specific version of Lion that Mac came with will be installed.

When done, the Mac will restart and behave as if no one had ever used it before and you will be able to setup the initial admin user account for yourself.

You do need an Internet connection to do this. Easiest would be to use an Ethernet cable and connect it directly to one of the LAN ports on your DSL or Cable modem.

Apr 11, 2014 6:34 AM in response to Nasher98

Well, the good news is that there are no system disks to acquire because there never were any. A successful Command+Option+R restart proves that.

Apple's help page on the topic states:

Your computer's serial number is sent to Apple as part of this process to help authenticate your request to download and install OS X Lion.

Did you have a wired Ethernet connection from the start? Though that shouldn't make a difference to recognizing the drive.

Start again, only this time do a Command+R restart for normal recovery mode. Launch Disk Utility. Does the SSD drive show up in the left column at all? If it does, click on the physical drive name (far left indent) and then check the lower right corner of DU's interface. What does it say for the Partition Map Scheme?

Apr 11, 2014 8:21 AM in response to Nasher98

Okay, that's why you can't install OS X.

Restart into Recovery mode. Launch Disk Utility and click on the physical drive again. Click the Partition tab to the right. Change the drop down menu over the graphic of the drive layout to anything other than Current. If one partition is all you want, choose 1 Partition. Make sure the format field to the right is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

The Options button below that will now be active. Click that and change the radio button to GUID. Click Okay, then click Apply.

Exit out of Disk Utility. With a standard Ethernet connection to your router, you should now be able to choose the SSD and reinstall OS X.

MacBook Air Flickering Apple Logo and Cancel Symbol

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.