Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Order Book from Aperture

Hi all,

This is the first time I've had to use the support forum; hopefully it helps!

I have tried repeatedly to order a book from Aperture however recieve the following error message: "Did not receive a response from application. It is possible that the application does not exist, or that the requested URL is incorrect.

I am using version 3.5.1, am based in Australia, have tried different internet connections and have ordered books using this same method previously. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks in advance!!!

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 11:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 11:41 PM

This error can be caused by timeouts - either due to too much traffic on Apple's severs, or firewalls or antivirus software interfering, or incompatible third party software installed, or simply the Energy Server kicking in too early. Try to temporarily disabling firewalls like Little Snitch, antivirus software, and the Energy Saver in the System Preferences.

Check the system status at Apple's page: http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

For iPhoto books it usually helpes to boot the computer into Safe Mode, before trying to order Print products. Safe mode will disable third-party extensions and Preference panes, so some problems with incompatible software will be prevented. Only, Aperture will be terribly slow in Safe mode, if you can launch it at all. But booting into Safe Mode may help to clear some settings, even if you have to reboot again back to normal mode, so give it a try.

Perhaps this time-out glitch is related to the end of daylight saving time in Australia. Check your settings for date and time in the System preferences, also your location settings in System Preferences > Language&Region. your region should be set to australia, if you are ordering from an Australian Store.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2014 11:41 PM in response to Bentendo1980

This error can be caused by timeouts - either due to too much traffic on Apple's severs, or firewalls or antivirus software interfering, or incompatible third party software installed, or simply the Energy Server kicking in too early. Try to temporarily disabling firewalls like Little Snitch, antivirus software, and the Energy Saver in the System Preferences.

Check the system status at Apple's page: http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

For iPhoto books it usually helpes to boot the computer into Safe Mode, before trying to order Print products. Safe mode will disable third-party extensions and Preference panes, so some problems with incompatible software will be prevented. Only, Aperture will be terribly slow in Safe mode, if you can launch it at all. But booting into Safe Mode may help to clear some settings, even if you have to reboot again back to normal mode, so give it a try.

Perhaps this time-out glitch is related to the end of daylight saving time in Australia. Check your settings for date and time in the System preferences, also your location settings in System Preferences > Language&Region. your region should be set to australia, if you are ordering from an Australian Store.

Apr 6, 2014 12:06 AM in response to Bentendo1980

Other possible problems:

• Are you ordering from the correct store? Make sure, the "region" settings in the System Preferences "Language&Region" are set to Australia.
  • If your book contains a corrupted image file and the preview cannot be rendered, you may receive misleading error messages, when you try to order the book. Check the preview: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1040
  • If there is a problem with your AppleID and services have been disabled for security reasons, you may get similar error messages - try, if you can buy a free item from the iTunes Store or the AppStore, to check, if your AppleID is working. If there is a problem, reenter your address and credit card details at https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

If all fails, give the Australian Print Products Store a call - use the phone number on this page: http://store.apple.com/au/help/print_products

Apr 6, 2014 12:20 AM in response to léonie

Thanks again Léonie.

Unfortunately Safe Mode provided the same error message. I tried ordering a book I have previously ordered and this didn't work either.

• I am set to the correct region.
  • I was able to purchase from the Apple Store
  • Both books had an image that was "washed out" in the preview. I dont recall my first book order having this issue. The image appears fine in both the project and within the book (editing).

Do you have any idea on how I might be able to fix that?

Really appreciate your help.

Apr 6, 2014 4:19 AM in response to Bentendo1980

Try this:

Create a new version from one of the corrupted images:

From the "Photos" menu: New version from original.

Is this version correct? Then use the "Lift&Stamp" tool and try to transfer the adjustments from the previous version.

I'd try to transfer the adjustments one by one - you can deselect them individually in the Lift&STamp HUD.

Apr 6, 2014 5:02 AM in response to Bentendo1980

😮

What happens, when you reimport one of the originals? Does it stay o.k.? (This test will tell you, if the edited version is currupted)

What happens, when you import one of the originals into a new Aperture library? Does it stay o.k.? (This test will tell you, if the problem is caused by the current library).

What happens, when launch Aperture from a different user account and import a few of your washed out images? Are they o.k in differentt user account? (This test will tell you, if the problem is caused by settings in your current user account).

Apr 7, 2014 4:08 AM in response to léonie

New updates 🙂

- Tried to repair the permissions on the database - images are still horrid

- Reinstalled Aperture - no change

- Reprocessed the originals and previews - still horrid (and now the previews are washed out as well)

- manually created a new version from the original, and applied the metadata and adjustments stamps... worked!

Whilst I am somewhat more comfortable that I have my originals in good order, this REALLY concerns me given the thousands of files which are washed out and all the manual edits I need to do. Not to mention this will break the relationships I have with Smart Folders and Albums.

Why does God (Jobs) hate me?!!?!?!!?!?

Unable to Order Book from Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.