Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth keeps dropping and reconnecting

In the car bluetooth keeps connecting and dropping several times a minute

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 4:10 AM

83 replies

Jul 11, 2014 6:21 AM in response to lesleywash

WOW I searched online and stumbled on this thread - we are having the EXACT same problem with an couple of interesting twists. My wife and I each have an iPhone 5 (one black and one white) and just like lesleywash we have a 2014 Honda CRV. My wife in particular really likes the hand free blue tooth link feature but after updating to iOS 7.1.2 her iPhone started having the same problem described above. Dropping blue tooth connection, re-establishing and getting "The Phone Is Connected" message through the sound system constantly. Really annoying.

Twist #1 is that the problem is not happening with my iPhone only hers. Same exact phones bought at the same time, the only difference is one white/one black (a glitch related to color?...JK).

Twist #2 is that it seems to be a location problem, not time. She takes a regular drive everyday and found the problem happens at the same places on the road. "It always happens at the intersection with the 7-11" as opposed to "it happens every couple of minutes". And, it only seems to be a problem at those locations. It's a mix of in-town and highway places so I don't think it's another device trying to link?

Very strange, I'm fairly certain it's the phone and not the car (again, my phone is no problem) and I'm looking for a permanent fix. She tried the tip about shutting off Wi-Fi and that does work but what a pain constantly toggling Wi-Fi on and off. This is my first time posting on an Apple Support Community. Does these problems get looked at here by Apple Support or do I need to contact someone else?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Jul 11, 2014 7:46 PM in response to asearch

Our situation is as you described. My phone (black iPhone 5) works fine her phone (white iPhone 5) drops connection. I did find a fix with turning off her wifi. It was obvious too, as soon as we turned her wifi on the connection was dropped.... I wonder if the wifi and Bluetooth antennas are in different locations relative to the color of the phone?.... but the issue is definitely the phone not the CRv.

Jul 11, 2014 8:52 PM in response to ResQU

I'm taking some degree of comfort that it's happening to others and not just us. I joked about the white vs. black phone and hadn't thought about the antennae in different locations. In our case the problem started only after she updated to iOS 7.1.2. and it had been working perfectly before so I'm thinking it's a software glitch.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the "freshman question" but do you (...or anyone) know if these posts are monitored by Apple Support? I'm considering contacting them directly but wanted to see if anything came out of posting here.

Jul 11, 2014 9:13 PM in response to asearch

She had already updated to 7.1.2 so I don't know if it would have worked before. I'm running 7.1.1 on mine so you are probably correct about the software update. Did the turning off the wifi work for your wife's phone? As far as Apple folks here I have seen some people post that have Apple ID in their signature so I guess they may check in occasionally. I too was going to try contacting them directly. I'd really appreciate a simple acknowledgement by them that it is a software issue....I'm afraid I'll just get the standard "must be at your end our end is not at fault" response. . Who knows, I just know it should work without any modifying by the user. My local Honda dealer was not too helpful.

Jul 17, 2014 2:19 PM in response to asearch

OMG!!! I'm so happy to see you guys are having the same issue!

I had no troubles with my blue tooth and my phone till I installed ios 7.1.2. I have a WHITE iphone 5c and a 2012 Honda Civic. I have tried several things.....the latest I found on another thread this afternoon. I just tried it and will be in the car soon I'm hoping it will work!

Go to setting Airplane mode on, Do Not distrub on power down for at least 10 minutes, turn phone back on and Airplane mode off and Do not distrub off.

If that does not work I will try to the wifi option!

It's so frustrating ................... i've had the car and phone together for a year with absolutely no problems till July!

Please keep us posted if the Apple Store has any other thoughts!

Thank you!

Jul 17, 2014 6:04 PM in response to tayloem2

Thanks for the update, again kind of glad that it's happening to other people so I know I'm not crazy. I may give the tip you suggested a try. Here are some things I learned this week...

I had another car in for service at my local Honda dealership and asked if they had heard of the problem. They hadn't but made a note of it and said they'd let me know if anything comes up. I know, that sounds like a blow off and an easy "not our problem" BUT the dealership I go to is fantastic and they've said that to me before and I've gotten follow ups from them and Honda USA. We'll see with this one.

I went to our local Apple Store (King of Prussia, PA), talked to a rep and found out that there is NO internal difference between the white and black iPhone. Probably rules out the antenna placement idea. He hadn't heard of the problem I was describing but gave me two things to try. (1) turn off WiFi and see if the problem stops. Told him I tried that already and it works but isn't a permanent fix. Based on that he suggested (2) resetting all network connections and re-pair the phone. To do that go to Settings > General > Reset (bottom of list) > Network Settings. It will wipe out all of your blue tooth and wifi connections so you'll have to set them back up. I haven't tried that yet because, honestly, I haven't had time but might give it a go this weekend.

For now the "turn wifi off" is a temporary fix and it's working. If resetting the network connections or the solution in the post above doesn't solve the problem I'll probably have my wife continue with shutting wifi off, try to contact Apple directly (email?) and hope for a bug fix update.

I went into an iPhone skeptically and this is the first problem I've encountered with it in over a year. It truly is a fantastic product and I've been completely satisfied up to this point. Considering some of the nonsense I've seen friends & co-workers go through with other phone brands I still feel that it's the best brand available no contest. Just feeling a bit let down and hoping Apple will take steps to correct.

bluetooth keeps dropping and reconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.