Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5s phone uses too much data

I am new to IPhone however when I compare my usage to other iPhone users it's definitely excessive. I'm on wifi at work all day so only use my phone at night time and on weekends. My usage easily goes up to 3gigs per month if not more. I do not download videos or large attachments. I mostly use the internet to browse news websites or Facebook. My background refresh and my automatic updates have been turned off. I constantly monitor my usage and make sure I've closed my apps or browser. A friend has also reported excessive use when she upgraded to 5s. She spent $600 last month and says her previous bill was usually under $100. Other friends on I phone (not the 5s) report their data usage to be around 500mb - 1gig. There is definitely something not right with the amount of data I am using. Please help? Really not happy with my iPhone account at the moment:(

iPhone 5s

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 8:39 AM

24 replies

Apr 8, 2014 8:54 AM in response to Julz100

You can identify and track what is using the cellular data by going to Settings > Cellular and look at the list of apps in the section titled "Use Cellular Data For." Apps that have used data since you last reset the statistics will show the amount used under the app name. Also if you tap on "System Services" in that section it will give details of which services are using data. Watching those numbers should help you identify the source of the usage. You can resest the statistics at any time at the bottom of the same screen.

Apr 9, 2014 2:24 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do however know about this feature, but it still doesn't solve the problem of 5s using excessive data. I have a friend on a different phone who downloads videos and bigger files for work and easily only uses 500mb of data a month. If it wasn't for my wifi at work I'm sure I'd double up my usage to 6gigs a month.

Apr 15, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Julz100

We are in the same boat. Got our daughter a 5S in February, it came with iOS 7.1 and it consistently uses at least double, if not tripple the amount of data that her 4S did (with 7.1 loaded). She uses the same apps that she did before, no more, no less. We have done ALL the tweaks recommended on the various boards, shut off cellular to apps, etc. We have been arguing with AT&T (our provider) and Apple. AT&T states that the usage is the usage and what is being reported by the device. We have been to Apple and had the phone wiped clean and new iOS 7.1 loaded. As a test with the 5S, with everything off cellular except Safari, I reset the statistics to 0 and then went to three websites (google, ask, webcrawler). I then used my personal iphone 4S (on verizon), reset the statistics and went to the same three websites. The 5S used more than double the data that the 4S did to load the same pages.

(I went to the pages first prior to resetting the statistics so that they would be cached)

Can anyone explain this? The Apple Genius tech could not and replaced the device. Guess what..... The new device does the same thing.

I am so disgusted with this whole thing AT&T <----- | -----> Apple....... No answers. Its obviously a problem.. Either Device, iOS (starting with 6) or communication between device and networks (Sim Card?)

Has anyone ever solved this since it arose in 2012??

Apr 15, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Chris CA

I actually did it both ways. Went to the pages then again figuring, like a computer, any images would be cached. I was trying to see if just the page request used more data. In both cases the 5S uses at least double the data that my 4 does. All the apps were closed when I reset the stats.

When I went back to the tech to show him the comparison the 5S actually showed additional usage for safari in the stats then when I closed it prior.

Apr 22, 2014 3:49 AM in response to Julz100

I use Safari for Facebook, google browsing and a News 24 website mainly. I heard that using the apps also uses too much data. I occasionally use Google maps, but have also found it uses excessive data. We have figured out that my Iphone uses more data than my partner's laptop and phone put together!!!! The assisstant at the store where I bought the phone from could also not understand the excessive use. I will not get another Iphone with my contract renewal.

Apr 22, 2014 5:12 AM in response to Julz100

The test I have done repeatedly proves excessive data use on the 5S. My iPhone 4 for a google load in Safari uses anywhere between 32 - 50k.. Google's page size is about 22k. The 5S used 184k to load a 22k page.. It is just obscene.... Apple's answer to me was to replace the device, which we did. It still does the same thing - their answer to that was it must be AT&T's network.

Neither party takes responsibility and we as the consumer are stuck in the middle.

Apr 25, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Julz100

Even though I have not changed my behavior and do not use streaming services, my data usage with AT&T has more than tripled since getting the 5S in January. AT&T says that since the iPhone 5S uses the 4G network, it automatically demands more data and faster transport is provided. I have turned off nearly every app from access to celluar data and still the usage climbs. I have removed Facebook and Twitter completely. I do not access email until I am connected to WiFi; nothing has helped.

I have upgraded my data plan with AT&T twice since getting the 5S, yet they continue to add on additional blocks of data charges each month. This is profundly frustrating!

I have installed three tracking apps as of today..My Data Manager, Onavo, and DataManager Pro😠

May 12, 2014 11:54 AM in response to Monsignor423

I am having the exact same problem with my sons iPhone 5s. Used over 10GB of data. AT&T said the usage is coming from iTunes??? Possibly an app that is consuming all the data by continuing to download. Our bill showed an excessive amount of data used at 3am on Sunday. I had my sons phone that night so I know for a fact that he was not on it and neither was I. I reset his phone but didn't help. He's at school right now and I am receiving alerts that we have exceeded our extra 1gig of data??? There's definately an issue because this did not happen before he updated his iPhone. When he gets home I will delete any apps that could possibly be causing this. AT&T did credit our account.

May 12, 2014 12:03 PM in response to aRose4u

Is anyone else experiencing locks and freezes under iOS 7.1 on an iPhone 5s? Almost immediately after installing iOS 7.1 my iPhone 5s began displaying freezing and locks of apps as well as a hang in an app causing the phone to get very hot even though it was not on charge. I have not yet identified which apps are hanging and causing the phone to get hot and run the battery down in a very fast manner. The error that I am seeing the most is the kbd.IPP app that is hanging and freezeing. The app that hangs uses all the memory up to 100%, which of course causes the phone to get hot.

I have had several conversations with Apple technicians trying to figure out what is causing this. If anyone has any ideas I'd sure like to hear about it, and if you're having the same problems, you need to call Apple and let them know what is going on! The more of us that call and complain or tell them about a problem the faster it will be repaired!

Whatever is causing our devices to lock up, freeze over heat etc. has been caused by iOS 7.1. iOS 7.1 .1 has not helped either. So Apple get off your butts and figure out what's happening!!!

*I have done:

Several restores some from the cloud some going thru iTunes on laptop. And it has followed devices as my iPad 3 is also displaying some freezing. No hangs though. This is also the second brand new out of the box I5S that has displayed the exact same behavior!

5s phone uses too much data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.