Previous 1 2 Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2014 10:27 AM by babowa
Zimmer1956 Level 1 (0 points)

I am trying to prepare for a new iMac, and wonder if I am able to use my CCC drive as startup drive and erase the Macintosh HD? I have the Time Machine on a separate drive and CCC on another drive. Is this recommended, if not would like to hear any other options.

Thanks,

Don

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), two OWC external drives.
  • Allan Eckert Level 9 (50,731 points)

There is absolutely no reason to clean a brand new iMac.

Just use Setup Assistant the first time you start it to restore everything to it from Time Machine.

Allan

• Zimmer1956 Level 1 (0 points)

I am not speaking of the new Mac. Speaking of my old Mac that is being sold.

In addition, if I am using Mavericks and my original was Snow Leopard which has been updated through Mavericks, are there any old stuff, files etc from Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion on my Mac?

Thanks,

Don

• Allan Eckert Level 9 (50,731 points)

Sorry. I misread you original message

Try http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5189

Allan

• babowa Level 7 (29,965 points)

Speaking of my old Mac that is being sold.

You need to remove anything that you've upgraded to and sell it with the original system. The reason: anything purchased/downloaded/installed from the app store is not transferable; it is tied to your apple ID forever - the buyer needs to get their own using their own Apple ID. You should also obviously wipe your entire drive to delete any personal files.

I was told that and I plan to do write zeros to the hard drive and reinstall Snow Leopard.

Wondering if I am able to do that now while using my CCC external drive as a startup disk?

Thanks,

Don

Should be able to - just test your CCC clone to make sure it works before doing any zero-ing....

Yes, it works so I may do that...

one other thing about using Migration Assistant - are their any olf files from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion that remain there?

Thanks,

Don

You have to remember that PPC applictions still worked under Snow Leopard, but haven't been supported since Lion, so you may have some issues if you have any of those.

Also, using Setup Assistant at the beginning of the setup of the new Mac is much easier as it will port over your user account. If you use Migration Assistant later, you will have already set up an account, so that will create a second one and you'll need to sort it out manually with the duplicate folders, etc.

And, you can use Time Machine for that, but I can't help with that as I choose not to use it at all.

I'm sorry but what are PPC applications?

I am unclear about Migration Assistant and comments about using it again.

Thanks,

Don

PPC applications were the old PowerPC apps before Apple changed to Intel in 2006 (I think).

Not sure what you mean about using MA "again"? Have you set up your new Mac or what exactly are we talking about?

If you're talking about your old Mac, you don't need MA or Setup Assistant - you simply want to install the original OS.

Let me know what I am not understanding here.

My old Mac is an Intel Mac.

I mentioned the wrong app. I saw migration assistant and thought I would be using to setup the new Mac but really will be setup assistant, correct?

Since my old Mac is 2010 (7/2010) is Intel, there shouldn't be any issues? If I use setup assistant that will use my Time Machine to set up, if I choose, correct?

I pick up my new Mac on Thursday . Just trying to get ahead of the prep like erasing my HD.

Thanks, don

• nbar Level 5 (6,980 points)

Use setup assistant. Follow the late Pondini's instructions for doing so. The instructions for Mountain Lion are still applicable in Mavericks.

Setting-up a new Mac from an old one, its backups, or a PC

I have asked but still not sure...my original OS was snow leopard and I have updated everyone through mavericks...when I use setup assistant will any "garbage" from those OS's still be there?

Thanks,

Don

Previous 1 2 Next