Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone experience iMac memory issues with One Drive (previously Sky Drive) - uses 5GB of my 8GB memory!

I recently started experiencing memory issues with my iMac due to One Drive using up to 5GB of my iMac memory (total of 8GB). Every time I start up my iMac Activity Monitor shows One Drive uses around 4-5Gb of the internal memory for no reason. Previously Onde Drive seemed to work fine, it's only since about 2 weeks I notice this. It's really annoying as the iMac freezes up regulalrly and I need One Drive to synchronise my files across different devices.

Has anyone experienced this too and are there any known fixes?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 4:43 PM

24 replies

Jun 28, 2017 2:12 PM in response to SBuro

I upgraded to 16 GB RAM, and it seems to lock up less often.

I have asked Microsoft about this, and they are walking me through a process. First thing we did was to delete the OneDrive entries in KeyChain. Then restart OneDrive, reconnect with passwords, etc. We'll see if that fixes the problem.

Coincidentally, just before I was able to do the procedure today, Microsoft forced an upgrade on me for OneDrive.

Hopefully, something has changed and OneDrive will behave.

Aug 25, 2017 9:33 AM in response to Barnabas

I saw this problem on my dad's imac, I tried deleting the onedrive keychain entries as someone suggested here.

I restarted it and left it on overnight then checked back in the morning, it grew from 312MB to around 520MB. Restarted it again and it went back up to 312MB.

So I made a little cron job which will hopefully keep it under control (you can edit your crontab with crontab -e in terminal):

0 0,12 * * * * pkill OneDrive; sleep 3; open -a OneDrive

This will just restart OneDrive twice a day so that its memory usage doesn't grow out of control, if it works well I'll post back here.

Apr 16, 2014 1:18 AM in response to Gert001

Yes this is happening to me too, since the last upgrade. Eventually MacOS starts insisting I "Force Quit" all my applications as I have run out of application memory.

OneDrive doesn't appear in that list because it's not an application... but Activity Monotor clearly shows it's the culprit, taking up 5GB+ of RAM.

I've raised the issue on Microsoft's forums:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/sdperformance-sdother/onedrive -for-macos-memory-leak/fe04cf60-949f-47b6-b886-10539b5c5cc3?tm=1397636232934

Apr 17, 2014 1:06 AM in response to paulianharman

Hi Paul, I am in touch with Microsoft's support team and it's a challenge to have them looking into it. There are others too experiencing the same issue after the last update of the Mac version. Will keep you informed on this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/sdperformance-sdimpperf/excess ive-memory-use-of-one-drive-running-on-apple/71983c70-5d35-462e-84f5-e26b84a331e 9

Cheers,

Gert

Apr 17, 2014 3:02 AM in response to Gert001

If you are saying since the upgrade to Mavericks this has happened, remember Mavericks is designed to maximise (or rather optimise) the amount of RAM used. everything will seem to use much more RAM than before, but this is intended. It makes 4GB of RAM act like it was 6GB in performance terms.

If this is the only symptom, i.e. RAM seems to be much higher, don't worry.

Has anyone experience iMac memory issues with One Drive (previously Sky Drive) - uses 5GB of my 8GB memory!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.