Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in maps there is a huge blue circle around my "current location" and I would like to get rid of it, and I did not do a "pin drop" either?

in maps there is a huge blue circle around my "current location" and I would like to get rid of it, and I did not do a "pin drop" either?

iMac, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 2:15 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

At the top left corner of the Maps app you should see this button in blue:

User uploaded file

Just press it to turn the button grey (like in that screenshot), so the blue circle around your location will disappear.

23 replies

Jul 13, 2017 11:18 AM in response to Barney-15E

Well...im sorry to say....but apple ***** donkey testicles!! Yes they are more secure in many ways...but its like they make everything difficult so if you take the enormous amount of time to figure everything out you never want to change...smart strategy in one sense. I ructantly went to an android platform and am MUCH HAPPIER! good luck with your complaint to Apple it's like sending the complaint to Microsoft...donkey balls...lol! pretty soon our phones will be running the company and we won't have to worry about voting since we have such good choices to choose from..

Oct 24, 2014 11:46 AM in response to mariowynjones

Hi

Many thanks for your prompt reply, very much appreciated. Unfortunately though, as with many details from Apple, things aren't that straightforward. I followed your instructions and indeed was able to remove the blue circle. Job done I thought, but It also removed the whole of the location feature and the solid dot so I was unable to press the arrow button to get me back to my home address. So until Apple change the feature just to remove the blue circle I guess I'll have to stick with the blue circle. I have often wondered what it does. My only answer is that it is a built in error identifier in that your home address should be somewhere within the circle.

Thanks again

Regards

Rob

Dec 3, 2014 1:12 PM in response to Barney-15E

Not being able to remove the location "blue circle" is a BIG shortcoming and the reason I do use Apple map. There should be a simple way of being able to not have the giant blue circle or the blue dot displayed on your map; like making the location arrow a toggle button - click on, click off. Being forced to go into settings and turning off location services to all apps and programs is NOT the way a user should have to deal with this issue.

Dec 3, 2014 3:51 PM in response to Barney-15E

"Not sure why you chose my post to reply to..."

Because your post was the last in the thread and it was easier instead of replying to the original post or one of the ones thereafter that dealt with an old OS, not the current OS.

"...as I can't fix it,..."

If you were in the position to fix it you probable would be working for Apple and not posting in these threads and I did not think or expect that you would be able to fix it nor did I ask you to fix it.

"...nor did I express an opinion on its efficacy."

Neither did I.

"However, if you want it fixed, you should complain to Apple instead of me."

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that someone within Apple would at least be reading THEIR "Apple Support Communities" forums that are hosted on THEIR web site.

Now, take a couple of chill pills, listen to some relaxing music, and remember, If you have nothing nice to say to some you might consider saying nothing at all. :-)

Mar 28, 2015 6:12 PM in response to mende1

For the record, this is broken or doesn't work in Yosemite. Given that Yosemite is close to being replaced already by the new OS, this is just abominable. To have such a giant BUG survive across an entire year of updates is pathetic.

The only answers I have found to this is that you can "turn off location" which is a ridiculous thing to suggest in a mapping application, or turn off Wi-Fi, which isn't even possible on most modern computers because they don't have any other method of accessing the network.

Why is Apple Maps even included on my computer if it's not even useable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.