Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

de interlacing video

I have an interlaced video in Final Cut X. since the project is Interlaced, no option to interlace appears. I want to export as uncompressed as possible. Normally I use the export (current settings) in the SHARE menu. How can I deinterlace my video ? I don't have COMPRESSOR...

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 10:59 AM

17 replies

Apr 12, 2014 6:55 PM in response to marcsoucie

Set up a project to be progressive (you have to do this manually or FCPX will create in interlaced project with the "first drop" media.)

Select the interlaced footage in the Event, go to the Info Inspector and select Settings from the dropdown menu at the bottom left of the inspector column.

In Field Dominance Override, for all things DV (DV, DVCPro, DVD [a.k.a. MPEG2]) etc. set Lower First. For *everything else* set Upper First. FCPX will automatically conform your interlaced video to the progressive format.

Export in ProRes 4444 (the best codec you've got.) Even the "Uncompressed" codecs available are chroma subsampling 4:2:2. ProRes 4444 has 12bit sampling depth as well as 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. (The fourth 4 is for Alpha which you will not need in most cases unless exporting with an alpha channel.)

Apr 12, 2014 8:42 PM in response to marcsoucie

Deinterlacing is an automatic feature of FCPX. It's done by setting up a progressive project and informing FCPX of the video properties being inserted into the storyline. Conforming is automatic. However, if you "lie" to FCPX, it will get it wrong. You must make sure that the interlaced footage is defined as interlaced (not progressive) and has the proper Field Dominance information. If that's set up properly, you have nothing more to do.

Apr 12, 2014 10:51 PM in response to marcsoucie

If your project was set up to be "progressive" — it will be deinterlaced under current settings. If the video looks a "bit weird" on export, then perhaps you've gotten the Field Dominance backwards. You should not try to deinterlace media before importing into FCPX unless you know exactly what you're doing. You have to consider the original source of the video when deciding field dominance. If the import is handled correctly, FCPX usually gets the field dominance right.

What are the specifications for the original source of the video and what steps were taken importing into FCPX?

de interlacing video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.