Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Sculpt keyboard + OS X issues

Hi all, I'm using the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard with my 15" MacBook Pro Retina, and have a few weird problems:

1. [Shift]+[v] does not work. Typing [v] prints a lower case v, and [Shift] uppercases all other letters just fine, but [Shift]+[v] is unresponsive, nothing is output.
  2. Typing [r] with no modifiers refreshes web pages when it's not supposed to - any time the browser is in focus, and even when a <form input type=text...> is focused. It does not refresh when a textarea is focused, though.

The keyboard is recognized by OS X as a standard 101 key ANSI keyboard.

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), iTunes 11.1.5

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 11:31 AM

27 replies

Apr 14, 2014 7:20 PM in response to Byron Gibson

Windows keyboards don't always "map" properly with OS X, nor do Apple keyboards with Windows. I know that doesn't help a whole lot, but it's why I never use anything but Mac keyboards with Macs and Windows keyboards with my PCs.

Ergonomic keyboards are one area where there aren't many Mac options.

Have a look here, though: http://www.trulyergonomic.com/store/index.php

That's a programmable ergo-board and it can be configured to your needs.

Apr 16, 2014 2:32 PM in response to Byron Gibson

I've recently started having issues with my Sculpt as well. Given that the keyboard has worked perfectly well for quite some time in my setup as have a number of other, non-Mac keyboards, it shouldn't be a mapping issue. Two potential trouble areas:

1. Wireless interference: the Sculpt operates on/around the 2.4 GhZ frequency, which is a crowded area of spectrum to begin with. However, USB 3.0 ports are also known to give off wireless interference which could be causing issues—try using a USB 2.0 extension cord to attach the Microsoft USB transceiver to either the MacBook itself or your USB hub.
  2. Input device bug: this is entirely within the realm of speculation, but in the past week I've faced some serious system slowdowns and buggy interactions with all of my input devices (official bluetooth peripherals like the Magic Trackpad, USB mice, etc.). I'm investigating the issue but something may have cropped up with a recent update. I'll keep posting with any developments.

Another option might be to try PRAM/SMC resets; I've not had too much luck with that, but it's worth giving a shot.

Apr 16, 2014 2:48 PM in response to Byron Gibson

If you want an MS keyboard, you have to choose one that comes with Mac keyboard drivers. Here's a list of keyboards MS sells that are Mac compatible:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/keyboards

I saved this link with the check box for "Macintosh Compatible" on. But if it's off, just check it again. You'll see there are only a total of nine choices.

Personally, I've been using the Ergonomic 4000 with various Macs for years.

Jul 20, 2014 1:18 AM in response to Byron Gibson

Hi,

I have the same issue, and more:

The keyboard worked well for some time (about 6mo), then the following weird things started happening:

• I cannot type a capital V using the shift. Only when the CAPS-LOCK is chosen. shift-v does not do anything.
  • The shift key itself becomes sticky on-its-own-mind without me pressing it. If I press the shift again it unsticks itself.
  • I get repeat keys when I type, even if I set the "Delay Until Repeat" interval in the System Preferences to a very long time. This is very annoying, as every few typed words I have to go back and delete few repeated characters. [Even while typing this short reply!]

I tried switching USB hubs, replacing the batteries in the keyboard, resetting and other 'vudu' steps, but to no avail.

I could not find OS X drivers for this keyboard, this is very frustrating.

Would be glad to know if you (or someone else) managed to solve this annoying issue.

Thanks,

Liran

Aug 20, 2014 11:16 AM in response to Byron Gibson

Wanted to share my experience with using the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard with OS X 10.9.4.

I've been using it for several months without issue. Suddenly, last week, pressing Windows Key + Right Arrow (which I have mapped the Option key to the Windows Key) - it brings up the Display Preferences. Further, it oftentimes will decrease my laptop screen brightness to 0.

After restoring mapped keys to defaults, this same key combination (Windows + Right Arrow) has no effect whatsoever - it should bring my cursor to the end of the line.

It seems that this is likely an OS X issue since there are no drivers or software for this keyboard.

Cheers,

Dan

Aug 20, 2014 3:20 PM in response to Hey Dan

So I discovered a workaround thanks to BetterTouchTool and a review on Amazon for this product written by Rian "R" Gray - thanks a bunch!

I tried to remap the keyboard combo of Option + Right Arrow using BTT, and it showed me that it recognized this combo as F14.

Rian's review mentioned that F14 = Scroll Lock, so I used Karabiner to remap ScrollLock Key to F13, and now my cursor-skipping ability has returned!

Thanks to Rian, BTT, and Karabiner : )

Sep 19, 2014 6:01 PM in response to Byron Gibson

Hi,

I've had other problems with my microsoft sculpt keyboard.

Although not documented to be supported, I installed the latest version of this from Microsoft:

IntelliType pro and IntelliPoint software

I installed the dmg, restarted the machine, and now my keyboard copy/paste all work as I would expect, as well as other combinations with command and option. I hope this works for you too. The Microsoft Sculpt keyboard is one of their best products.

Ryan

Oct 2, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Byron Gibson

I had my Sculpt working fine with OS X since I got it last December 10 months ago. I have been having a similar issue with the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard and my 15" MacBook Pro Retina (2013) OS X 10.9.5, 13" MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.9.3 (2013) & 27" iMac (Late 2009) & Dell (something or other) Windows 7 SP2(?). Recently the command + s key combination and command + shift + s and shift + x have stopped working anywhere. I was able to test on a windows once I found the shift x issue. I am concluding this is a hardware or keyboard based software/firmware issue in my case. I have tried the above methods and found no workaround for my issues. Interestingly when I try to see what is being sent in better touch tools it is as if the keys are not being pressed at all when the combinations occur.

I will have to follow up with Microsoft Support now that I have replicated in Windows 7.

Oct 8, 2014 8:59 AM in response to Byron Gibson

I am having a similar issue w/ the MS Ergonomic Sculpt, running 10.9.5. Upon first connecting the transceiver I was presented w/ the standard box for identifying a new keyboard. However my keystrokes were not recognized and I couldn't set it up. Now after restarting, reseting smc/pram the keyboard is not recognized at all. My system is recognizing the USB transeiver but not the keyboard itself.

Oct 23, 2014 9:44 AM in response to glucopilot

I too have had no problems with this keyboard for many months using it with my Mac Pro & MacBook Pro. Suddenly yesterday I was getting repeated keystrokes on several keys on the left side of the keyboard (E & B were the worst offenders). These symptoms don't seem to match what others are having, so I was losing hope.

Long story short - glucopilot saved me. In my case it was the F6 key that was stuck down. It looked like it was a very small grain of sand sticking the key - I had to look very closely to see that one side was slightly depressed. The HVAC folks have been poking around in my ceiling recently, so even if you never ever eat near your keyboard etc. it only takes a very small particle to jam up these keys. I'm just happy to be typing at speed again.

Microsoft Sculpt keyboard + OS X issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.