Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Diverging stacked bar chart in Numbers?

Am looking for instructions on how to create a diverging stacked bar chart in Numbers. I can create this type of chart in Excel, but I want to provide the instructions to someone else who uses Numbers. For an example, see figure 3 on this page: http://realnumeracy.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/diverging-stacked-bar-charts/ Thank you in advance!

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 1:26 PM

Create a table where the first row is a header and the first column is a header.

To make a header select the row(or column) then use the contextual menu to convert to a header:

User uploaded file

similar procedure for a row.

User uploaded file

Enter the data for your chart.

select columns B and C by clicking the column header for column B, then shift-click the column C.

Now select the stacked, horizontal bar chart from the charts menu:

User uploaded file

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2014 1:26 PM in response to Lis7

Create a table where the first row is a header and the first column is a header.

To make a header select the row(or column) then use the contextual menu to convert to a header:

User uploaded file

similar procedure for a row.

User uploaded file

Enter the data for your chart.

select columns B and C by clicking the column header for column B, then shift-click the column C.

Now select the stacked, horizontal bar chart from the charts menu:

User uploaded file

Apr 14, 2014 1:31 PM in response to Lis7

Here's a bare bones start:

User uploaded file

1. Set up Results table with a Header Row and a Header Column.
  2. Enter Agrees as positive and Disagrees as negative.
  3. Select cells in table, and choose stacked bar:

User uploaded file

Drag Legend where wanted, add Title and Axis labels, etc. The vertical line showing the divergency was added via choosing a line under the Shape icon in the toolbar and dragging it into place.

SG

Apr 14, 2014 2:27 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Thank you Wayne and SGIII for your helpful replies :-) Is there a way to change the settings so that the x-axis to the left of the y-axis intercept displays positive rather than negative numbers? Same issue for data labels embedded in the bars on the left side.

Here is a 100% diverging stacked bar example from Excel that shows what I mean with regard to the x-axis and data labels (the legend values are out of order, haven't yet figured out if there is a way to fix it.)

User uploaded file

Apr 14, 2014 4:07 PM in response to Wayne Contello

was there something wrong with the solution I presented?

Wayne,

Did you read the op's comments about the drawback to the solution you presented (I also presented one with the same drawback)?

Unfortunately there are negative numbers to the left, both on the axys and in the data labels in the bars.

Do you know how to avoid that? (I don't, save superimposing a text box, which would be fiddly.)

SG

Apr 14, 2014 5:01 PM in response to SGIII

I missed that post earlier. I think they will have to add a custom x-axis using a separate table... like this:

User uploaded file

The table, below, should be filled white, then you should remove all the cell borders, then move to the front using the menu item "Arrange > Bring To Front".

Finally slide to the bottom of the table. You can also, for good measure, select the chart then open the chart formatter then turn off the x-axis labels:

User uploaded file

Apr 14, 2014 6:14 PM in response to Lis7

Lis7 wrote:

Hi Jerrold, I'm trying to help someone else who uses Numbers, which I don't have - I use Excel.

Lis,

Numbers is sort of the household spreadsheet version of the more industrial Excel one. There are several charting variants in Excel that aren't supported in Numbers. The same goes for almost any aspect of the Excel program, except for the integration of graphics, which is better in Numbers.

A two-series Column Chart (not the Stacked Column suggested above) would tell the same story, and is well within Numbers' capability. without resorting to any Axis Label trickery. Another chart type that could work well would be the Area Chart. Even a basic Line Chart would do. I'm a fan of picking the chart that does the best job of telling the story, but here I don't see any special reason to use the opposed bar chart, and in fact I would rather see the Value Axis points for the two series closer together.

Jerry

Apr 14, 2014 6:50 PM in response to Lis7

Lis,

Here's another approach. It's a basic 2-D Stacked Bar Chart, as has been proposed above, but I've succumbed to some easy trickery.

User uploaded file

In this example, I did have to change the sign of the data in the chart, which does cause negative labels on the value axis. You can hide the column of negative data, as long as you use it to make the chart. The trick here was to place a mask over the minus signs in the value axis labels. In order to do that easily, I had to make them line up. I did that by formatting the data as Numeral System, Base: 10, Places: 2.

A non-visible rectangular shape resides just below the labels. Fill is set to white and border is set to None.

Jerry

Diverging stacked bar chart in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.