Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate External HDD won't show up.

Hi.

I have a 1TB Seagate Back up Plus external harddrive, and it wont show up in my Mac Pro.

The Mac Pro is the 2006 Intel Xeon model running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. The System requirements for the external HDD are snow leopard or higher, so I don't know why it isn't working.

P.S. When I plug in the USB cable into the computer, the HDD starts to spin, but it never shows up in the finder or on the desktop. Also, this HDD works in my MacBook Pro, but not the Mac Pro.

If anyone has any useful information, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac Pro 1,1

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 8:27 AM

144 replies

Feb 8, 2017 11:29 PM in response to DisneyWorld

Perhaps this is too late, but i wanted to put my solution here in case anyone else comes looking for this as i did.

My situation was the same, the drive was setup for Time Machine.

Suddenly it no longer mounted - although in a windows pc it also wouldn't mount but said in disk management that the drive was healthy.

I went into my Activity Monitor and saw that a process called fsck_hfs was running at 100%.

Ended this process in activity monitor and it threw out an error about time machine, but then the disk mounted.

Might help - might not - but it worked for me

Feb 15, 2017 10:20 AM in response to Pixie_0

Thank you so much for posting this. I had the same problem...left my Seagate 2TB USB backup drive plugged into my 2009 iMac,walked away, and when I returned, the disk was still there on the desktop, but reading as empty. Tried all the usual things (changing cables, restarting, different MAC, etc.) but nothing worked. System report would show the drive as being there, but when attempting to use First Aid to mount it...nothing...just the perpetual spinning wheel. Tried your suggestion of checking the Activity Monitor, and there it was... fsck_ms. Quit it and, immediately, my drive was back up on the desktop, 100%. Thanks again. Never would have gotten that one on my own in a million years!

Mar 3, 2017 7:40 AM in response to DisneyWorld

Had this same problem and tried many of the obvious solutions everyone suggested: rebooting, looking at finder options, etc.

My solution was to plug the same drive into a laptop running Windows. As soon as it was plugged in I received an error message stating that there was an error with the drive. Windows suggested a "Scan and Fix" - I allowed Windows to do it's thing. When the scan and repair were complete I took it back to my Mac, plugged it in, and everything works fine now.

Mar 14, 2017 2:33 PM in response to DisneyWorld

Okay, I seem to have similar problem, yet nothing of the described here methods seem to help:

1) I am running Macbook Pro Retina (late 2015)

2) my Seagate drive is 1TB Backup Plus portable drive that I had previously used on both Windows and much older Macbook, hence it is formatted in FAT32

I am fairly certain that I have used this drive on my macbook, yet right now when I plug it in, it doesn't appear in neither Desktop / Finder / Disk Utility / System Report (USB). The cable is connected, the light is on, I can feel the drive working. Also, I connected it to my windows laptop and it is working without problem there. I don't have the Paragon NTFS drives installed at all and I am not sure if that is supposed to be an issue since, as I mentioned, the drive is FAT32.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Jul 1, 2017 6:04 PM in response to DisneyWorld

I had this problem and thought my drive was damaged or "dead." And then I searched for "Seagate" on my Mac and found the "Seagate Dashboard" under applications. I didn't realize that was even installed when I first used my hard drive. It recommended updating the software. I ignored the "you may lose everything" message, because it meant you will lose your previous dashboard info. Anyway, after I updated and restarted my hard drive worked and I could see it on my desktop! What a relief!

Seagate External HDD won't show up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.