Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

code 31 error on apple mobile device usb driver

code 31 error, i can't use my itouch 5th gen as a usb device nor it will appear on my computer screen, i've done ever troubleshooting steps that i've read here like re-installing the driver and etc. but still to no avail. Btw, my ipod can sync w/ itunes

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 12:27 AM

4 replies

Apr 23, 2014 1:57 AM in response to coolytz_06

See

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

- I would start with

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

or

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

However, after your remove the Apple software components also remove the iCloud Control Panel via Windows Programs and Features app in the Window Control Panel. Then reinstall all the Apple software components

- Then do the other actions of:

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

paying special attention to item #5

- New cable and different USB port

- Run this and see if the results help with determine the cause

iTunes for Windows: Device Sync Tests

Also see:

iPod not recognised by windows iTunes

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

- Try on another computer to help determine if computer or iPod problem

Apr 29, 2014 6:01 AM in response to coolytz_06

Alas and unfortunately, Illass has not answered the question since iTunes is working OK.

I have just discovered the same issue with my iPhone 4S updated recently with IOS 7.1.1 which is specifically; the iPhone happily works with iTunes for backup and syncing etc. but the disk drive element fails to show. There are two devices that the iPhone uses in Windows 7:

(1) "Portable Devices > Apple iPhone": This device states "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". This is the error described by both me and coolytz_06.

(2) "Universal Serial Bus controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver": This is the generic data transfer device that iTunes uses. If this device reports a Code 31 if it is not working, then Illass' solution above will apply.

Now iTunes does not start automatically for the same reason, so this is started manually after connecting the iPhone. Both devices point to the same location (the iPhone).

I've also tried fixing the registry which is a great way to get stubborn USB devices working again but this has failed also. So my hypothesis is that IOS 7.1.1 has introduced this problem so perhaps a future IOS 7.1.2 will fix it again or a new Apple iPhone device is released with a fix. Trouble is, I failed to backup my previous iPhone release to roll it back and test this hypothesis so we'll just have to await more community reports.

May 1, 2014 3:30 AM in response to bikegreeny

Yeah, I've had exactly the same problem. My ITunes won't open automatically and I can't download photos from my iphone 4s. After several attempts to fix it, all I got was:

"Portable Devices > Apple iPhone": This device states "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".

I guess I can just hope IOS 712 will fix it.

May 1, 2014 7:07 AM in response to dogg171

I've found a solution while trying to resolve 3 problems including this one. Problems were:

(1) Could not install Windows updates. Error Code 80070005.

(2) Rogue processes starting then taking-up CPU. Java 32, notepad x 3.

(3) iPhone disk won't show but iTunes works OK.

Microsoft Safety Scanner at http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Found 3 malware objects, 2 of which attacked the svchost process. This solved (2) but (1) was still happening with just 2 remaining updates (the rest installed one-by-one OK).

Then I investigated the particular update that would not install and stumbled onto a specific discussion. Search for "trouble installing kb2800095 error 8007005". This discussion recommended Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/ This scan took 21 minutes and found 96 defects! With this malware removed, all installations worked and the iPhone disk reappeared! Thus, both (1) and (3) were completely resolved as well by removal of malware.

code 31 error on apple mobile device usb driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.