Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Requirement to enter passcode every 48 hours

i use the touch id function on my iPhone 5s but am required to enter the passcode every 48 hours. is this normal and can it be turned off?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on May 4, 2014 7:58 AM

214 replies

May 4, 2014 8:57 AM in response to Chris CA

I don't "think" I have to do it. The phone TELLS me I have to do it. After two days, the start screen displays a message that the passcode has to be entered every 48 hours. It will not let me advance past the start screen until I enter the passcode. After that, the touch ID works as normal until the next 48 hours have expired. I don't know if it was a result of one of the recent updates, but it just starting happening a few weeks ago.

May 4, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Chris CA

I can't bring up the exact message since I entered the passcode to clear it this morning. However, after turning on the phone and placing my finger on the pad to logon with touch ID, the start page will jump to the passcode page where a message akin to "The PASSCODE must be entered after 48 hours" appears at the top of the screen. No, this is my personal phone, not an employer issued phone.

May 4, 2014 9:37 AM in response to kvance83

Its working as designed - following quote is from http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5949

To configure Touch ID, you must first set up a passcode. Touch ID is designed to minimize the input of your passcode; but your passcode will be needed for additional security validation:

• After restarting your iPhone 5s
  • When more than 48 hours have elapsed from the last time you unlocked your iPhone 5s
  • To enter the Touch ID & Passcode setting

May 4, 2014 10:08 AM in response to dilbert41

My question then, is logging on to the phone using Touch ID not considered "unlocking" the phone? This is in reference to the statement:

When more than 48 hours have elapsed from the last time you unlocked your iPhone 5s

I ask this because I logon to my phone several times a day everyday. So normally there will never be a consecutive 48-hour period where I don't access my phone. Yet, I still get the message to enter the passcode every two days.

Thank you for the link to the article as well.

Oct 2, 2015 11:50 AM in response to kvance83

I don't know if you've solved this problem - I am having the same issue.

And it seems like all these people replying are not reading what you are saying or not understanding it. People - the issue is this.

I "unlock" my phone several times a day using the fingerprint recognition touch pad. It works every time. No problem. BUT, every couple of days when I try the exact same thing, I get the pop-up that says the passcode has to be entered every 48 hours. Again, this is despite the fact that I have been using the phone continuously and repeatedly unlocking it via fingerprint for the same 48 hours. The phone was not turned off. The phone did not reboot. This just happens for no logical reason.

The only thing I can think of is this is some security thing uploaded from the company. This is my phone but I sign onto Exchange to be able to retrieve and send work email. I have asked local IT and they tell me it's not them.

Is anyone else besides kvance83 and I having this problem?

Oct 2, 2015 12:36 PM in response to j wfromtorrance

Woke up this morning...to this exact message. Definitely have used my phone in the last 48 hours! More like had used it 4 hours before since I'm oncall this week for work. Ive had some buzzaro stuff since iOS 9...after first updating Siri would activate just be pressing home button to wake up the phone, same as I have ever done. Felt like the phone was bogged down by some thing running. Restarted a few times and seems to have subsided. Also had just once that I had an error with an app and the phone appeared to lockup... hit the power to shut off the screen (not powered off)and when I turned it back on at the lock screen...touch ID wouldn't work, swiped to put in passcode and it just logged in like no password was required. Very disconcerting but have only seen these once so definitely feel like its a bug created by some sequence of events. Never even knew about the 48 hour message as I don't know I've ever not used it for that long of a period;)

Oct 2, 2015 12:38 PM in response to j wfromtorrance

j wfromtorrance wrote:

The only thing I can think of is this is some security thing uploaded from the company. This is my phone but I sign onto Exchange to be able to retrieve and send work email. I have asked local IT and they tell me it's not them.

It IS your company.

If you have an Outlook/Exchange account from your company on the iPhone, then you have a profile loaded onto your iPhone and it is set to require a passcode every 48 hours.

If you remove this profile, this 48 hour requirement will go away.

Oct 2, 2015 4:45 PM in response to Chris CA

Nope I actually have a 4s that I carry additionally that has my exchange email, and have never seen this on that device or the 4 I used before it. I specifically keep my 6+ off our Corp network so they have no control over it. Have only gmail setup on the phone. Not to mention this is the first time I've ever seen this and have had the phone for about 7 months. Something else did this.

Oct 3, 2015 7:37 AM in response to Chris CA

It has nothing to do with Exchange. I just had this happen to me 10 minutes ago or so, and I only have a gmail setup, and an old work email that doesn't use exchange (very small company) and is no different than a ISP provided e-mail. I also used my phone a number of times last night before I went to bed so it has definitely been used inside 48 hours. (I have a 5S I bought on launch day on iOS 9.0.1)

Oct 3, 2015 7:47 AM in response to 2manygadgets

Since the OP wrote in May 2014, the problem seen then is likely different from the last couple of posters from Oct 2015, but I saw this this morning as well, and I suspect it's a bug in iOS 9.0.1.

It's also being discussed over at Ars Technica in the forum about iOS 9--several folks observing this.

Using an iPhone 6 that I've used since it was released with Touch ID activated--never had any surprises.

Personal phone, not corporate--no one in control of security settings but me.

No Exchange accounts on phone.

I unlock the phone many times every day, and yesterday was no exception.

Last night, last Touch ID unlock was probably around 10 PM.

This morning, attempted Touch ID unlock a little after 7 AM...got the screen dialog telling me that Touch ID required passcode entry after 48 hours.

As I say, I have to imagine this is due to my recent installation of iOS 9.0.1, I assume it's a bug, and I hope it's fixed soon.

Requirement to enter passcode every 48 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.