Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error -4hdd/11/40000000:sata(0,0)

hardwere testerroe error -4hdd/11/40000000:sata(0,0)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 5, 2014 11:21 AM

6 replies

Nov 2, 2015 4:46 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi Ogelthorpe,

I had the same issue on my MBP early 2011. The computer got slow and eventually did not boot anymore (grey apple logo with spinning wheel lasting forever).

Apple Hardware Test (AHT) gave me the error mentioned in this thread and I initially suspected it was the SSD which I installed 6 months ago. I replaced that SSD with another disk but still my MBP didn't boot (it booted fine if I connected the SSD via USB using an external enclosure, though).

Then I came across your post and checked the cable, that looked fine at first sight, so I thought the hard disk controller on the motherboard was at fault (£ 700 or more for its replacement!). I then decided to have a thorough check at the hard disk cable and I found a tiny, almost invisible, mark on the external rubber, exposing the internal wire, which is likely to get in contact with the inside part of the bottom alluminium cover and causing erratic behavior for the disk.

I am attaching a close up picture so that everyone can see what I am describing.

After replacing the cable, the MBP started working as before. Running again the AHT, no errors did appear. So it's not like I read on some posts where someone said the AHT is not accurate and doesn't recognise the modern SSD.

In essence, in case you run the AHT and you get the error 4hdd/11/40000000:sata(0,0), be aware. Open your MBP and have a good check at top part of the cable because there is the chance that, sooner or later, it may fail completellyUser uploaded file.

Regards

Valpix

Nov 2, 2015 5:11 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

i am useing

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27

SMC Version (system): 1.69f4

Serial Number (system): C0*******V7L

Hardware UUID: ******

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

<Edited By Host>

May 5, 2014 3:18 PM in response to msaidurrahman

If your MBP does not boot, take the internal HDD out and install it in an enclosure. Attach it to the MBP via USB and start the MBP holding the OPTION key down. It should show the external HDD. Click on it and see of the MBP will boot. If it does, the odds are that the SATA cable need to be replaced.

If it does not, select the recovery partition and open Disk Utility>First Aid. Run Verify and Repair. If that fails, then you probably need a new HDD.

Ciao.

error -4hdd/11/40000000:sata(0,0)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.