Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't import AVCHD to iPhoto 9.5.1 after upgrade to Mavericks

I have a Sony nex-5N. I used to be able to see the video files on the SD card and select them individually for import, which was annoying. Not sure what changed, but even prior to my upgrade to Mavericks, the video thumbnails stopped showing up in iPhoto and it was just a blank rounded rectangle that I could select for import. Now that I upgraded to Mavericks, when I insert the SD card, the photo thumbnails are the only ones that show up in the import screen, not the videos. It's possible I changed the recording codec on the cam months ago, which caused the initial change in thumbnails. Any idea what the codec import parameters are from iPhoto?

This is for my 2013 mac mini, 16GB RAM, 2.5 GHZ i5, OS 10.9.2

Posted on May 10, 2014 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2014 4:55 AM

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5251

explains what iPhoto does and how to use it with some AVCHD containers. Not all are supported.

A note on AVCHD: This format was developed for people who are shooting to edit the material afterwards. If you're shooting to edit, then iMovie or Final Cut are the correct home for this material. If you're not shooting to edit consider using one of the other video formats on your Camera.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2014 4:55 AM in response to Ariane Fisher

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5251

explains what iPhoto does and how to use it with some AVCHD containers. Not all are supported.

A note on AVCHD: This format was developed for people who are shooting to edit the material afterwards. If you're shooting to edit, then iMovie or Final Cut are the correct home for this material. If you're not shooting to edit consider using one of the other video formats on your Camera.

May 10, 2014 5:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I read that post before posting. It does not work with this version for me. Could be the camera settings. I have it set to record at 60p.

Following that post, there is no way to access to the AVCHD folders from the iPhoto import screen. They are packages which require right clicking to access.

It did however get me curious. I changed the camera setting to 60i and the files are now recognized in iPhoto again. Thanks again.

May 10, 2014 3:09 PM in response to Old Toad

How did you know I'm a total math geek??? That was perfect! I'm left with a bit of a conundrum though. That post recommends never shooting interlaced, but iPhoto is unable to see 60p. When I'm editing in FCPX 60p is fine, but for every day stuff, that's not my workflow. And rectangular pixel mp4s don't sound all that efficient or high quality. Well, this will be some fun testing. I'll play around with 24p AVCHD and 30p mp4s to see which works best with my workflow and quality needs.

can't import AVCHD to iPhoto 9.5.1 after upgrade to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.