Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anybody else have this DiskWarrior 4.4 issue in Mavericks 10.9.3?

I just installed Mavericks 10.9.3 a few days ago. I purchased DiskWarrior 4.4 not long ago to use with 10.9.2, and DW worked fine. Last night I tried to load DW into my Mac Mini with the new 10.9.3 installed and DW came up as a blank UntitledDVD.fpbf on my desktop. Alsoft sent me instructions to make a dupe iso of the disk using my old G5 iMac (where DW loads just fine), and we have been getting very snotty back and forth over this. My question is, why does the DW disk open normally on my old G5 iMac and not my new Mini? Does any of this suggest the disk is damaged? No other disk anywhere in my library has a problem with my Mini but the DW disk does, which as I stated worked correctly with 10.9.2 but now is a blank DVD in 10.9.3. I am convinced it has something to do with the new Mavericks and the Alsoft tech insists it doesn't. Anyone?

Message was edited by: dirk bill

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 19, 2014 11:21 AM

24 replies

May 19, 2014 11:55 AM in response to dirk bill

It can't have anything to do with Mavericks, much less any other version of OS X when you are starting up directly from the DVD. The Mac boots to whatever runtime OS is on the DVD, as long as the hardware is supported by whatever version is on the DVD.

Restart and hold down the Command+Option+P+R keys. Keep holding them through two or three startup chimes. Let go as the Mac is beginning to restart and hold down the C key to boot to the DVD.

May 19, 2014 12:12 PM in response to dirk bill

OK, the situation again is this: My Mac Mini is on; I put the DiskWarrior 4.4 disk in my Mac Mini disk drive; the drive spins a little, and the DiskWarrior disk appears on my desktop as a blank DVD, UntitledDVD.fpfb, and I am curious why that happens. That's all.

However, daikambu65, yes, I am very familiar with permissions, and I have had some recent issues with those as well, in my startup disk. That is one reason why I would like to find out about this DW issue I'm having.

Appreciate all the responses so far, regardless.

May 19, 2014 12:16 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I found using the DW as a boot disk drove me crazy. Startup times were in excess of 20 minutes from the

DVD running on an ext USB CD drive. My iMac doesn't have a slot.

I always run DW from a USB 3 remote HD. Much, much faster boot times. And DW executes much quicker. For awhile I was angry with Steve Jobs for eliminating the DVD slot on many Macs. But lately, I have come to recognize the wisdom. CDs and DVDs are definitely 20th Century technology.

That's jiust one man's opinion. Two, actually. Me and Steve Jobs. And he knew what he was talking about. I'm not sure about myself. 😁

May 19, 2014 12:23 PM in response to dirk bill

DiskWarrior requires that the DW disk be in your drive before you can C-boot from the disk. Makes sense; you can't boot up from a CD or DVD if it's not in the disk drive in the first place, right? Again, when I put the DW disk in the drive just so I can boot from it, it comes up as if it's a blank DVD. It's not even recognizing that the disk is DiskWarrior. That's what I'm talking about. I'm sorry if my description of this issue is not keen enough.

I'm just hoping I'm not the only one out there with this problem. It doesn't make sense that this program disk shows up on the desktop of every other computer I own except the one computer that it is designed to run on!

May 19, 2014 12:31 PM in response to dirk bill

I was on the phone with Alsoft tech support when I had my DW troubles. Their printed documentation isn't easy to understand. Thus, users often flounder around.

I think that the the physical CD disk must be squeeky clean, or it fouls up. I don't have much experience with DVD or CD drives, but I think they also need clearning from time to time. Or they won't read an OS file on the disk.

And here is what they told about moving the DW program to an HD or SSD. You can move it simply with a drag and drop for the original CD. BUT, that DW file MUST be placed in the Applications on the target drive.

It's all there in print, they say. But who the heck can find those facts? Good luck. Get out the Windex and a soft cloth.

May 19, 2014 12:53 PM in response to daikambu65

I use both TechTool Pro and Disk Warrior.

My advice for using these utilities is that you should be using these utilities as a last or near last resort, only.

When you have tried other fixes for OS X that still aren't helping your system all that much.

Despite what you may read from the more experienced users here than I, I have been using these two uitlites for years and have never had an issues with these Uitlities corrupting my OS X as long as I have kept these utilities up to date.

And keep these two utilities completely up to date so, as to not cause issues running an older version of these utilities that wasn't ever intended for newer, current version of OS X.

DW is really only a directory repair app. I only use this when a suspect that my Mac is ruuning in a way that maybe caused from a corrupt directory issue. Usually if I run into a file/s that pops up a corrupted data or data error message.

I run TechTool mainly for defragging my hard drive/s only every once in a while as well as running TTP's other utilities other than Directory repair as I feel DW does a more thorough job of this.

I try NOT to run these two uitilites very regularly, but only when no other solution/s have help.

Both of these have worked to solve my most stubborn Mac issues when there was no other way to fix the issue/s.

May 19, 2014 12:52 PM in response to dirk bill

Again, when I put the DW disk in the drive just so I can boot from it, it comes up as if it's a blank DVD.

Ignoring what 10.9.3 says the drive is named, or (un)recognized as on the desktop, you should still be able to do a C key boot to it.

Something is goofy that the DiskWarrior disk is the only CD or DVD not being recognized as a disk in 10.9.3. As daikambu65 noted, check to see that it's not soiled or scratched on the non printed side. Also check that there are no scratches on the label side. Especially ones that go all the way through and allow light to pass through the scratch.

May 19, 2014 1:01 PM in response to dirk bill

As I stated before, my disk drive will read any other disk in my house/world/universe but DiskWarrior. I am not worried about the cleanliness of my drive.

10.9.2, it worked fine. 10.9.3, it doesn't work. I haven't found anything yet that explains this.

Alsoft ended their last support email with this (the tech wanted me to dub off an iso bootable on my old G5 from the original DW disk to see if it worked):

I am suggesting you utilize the G5 to test for what the problem may be with the DVD. Because, if the DVD reads on the G5, it is unlikely that the DiskWarrior disc is non-functional.

Please follow my previous instructions and report the results.

At least he said Please! I might still try making a copy but I seriously can't follow the logic of what he is saying. "It is unlikely the DiskWarrior disc is non-functional." In other words, "If it reads on the G5, then there's probably nothing wrong with it." !!! If that's so then why have me make a copy of the disc? It's been in a plastic case for months on the shelf! It worked last time I used it! Then I put it back in the plastic case! I am not happy!

Some people, when they don't have an answer, are still providing an answer.

May 21, 2014 6:52 PM in response to Kurt Lang

DiskWarrior 4.4 is compatible with Mavericks. That's why I bought it. It worked fine when I had Mavericks 10.9.2; now it won't work on 10.9.3, like I said. When I stated "It comes up fine on my G5" I simply meant that when I put it in the disk drive it appeared on the desktop as DiskWarrior, unlike my Mac Mini running 10.9.3, where the DW disk comes up as a blank DVD. I am not booting from it at any point on either of my machines.

Anybody else have this DiskWarrior 4.4 issue in Mavericks 10.9.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.