Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can MS send SysEx commands to hardware synth?

Hello all,

I'm wondering how I can get MainStage to send a SysEx command (F0 43 10 7F 12 0A 00 00 20 F0) to select a Patch in Master Mode of a Motif XF. I can successfully do so from an iPad app, - though I cannot see a place to send this command from a patch in MS. I see where to set MSB/LSB and PrgCh in the MIDI Output tab of an External Instrument Channel strip, but no where to have MS send a SysEx command? Is it possible?

Thank you for time and information in advance,

G

MainStage, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 19, 2014 11:34 AM

33 replies

May 19, 2014 7:54 PM in response to lifenoise

I meant to say the external channel strip inspector. I'm doing exactly what your attempting with my MO6. You can create the MIDI file in Logic or other DAWs. If you get the sysex command written correctly, it works like a charm. Once you get the first command written, you can change just the program change byte to write the commands for all 128 patches.

User uploaded file

May 21, 2014 3:06 PM in response to lifenoise

Thaks for the speedy reply lifenoise. I'm having difficulty create the MIDI file.

I opened an empty project in Logic, created an empty MIDI region with pencil tool, opened the MIDI event list editor and added a SysEx command from the local toolbar; however, the formatting is confusing. The SysEx command is: F0 43 10 7F 12 0A 00 00 20 F0. Where/how do I put each bit of information? How should this look?

Again, thanks in advance, G

User uploaded file

May 21, 2014 6:07 PM in response to lifenoise

Ok, so I created a MIDI file to change into MasterMode, and I created a MIDI file to select a specific Master Pgm, once in MasterMode.

Next question, since you said you were doing the same thing on your MO6, - did you create 129 MIDI files?! One for MasterMode select, and 128 for each patch location in MasterMode?! Wow, how tedius. Or do you have a workflow suggestion to make the process less tedius...?

Thanks, G

May 21, 2014 6:25 PM in response to lifenoise

Gotcha. Last few questions...

1. So, does each MIDI file contain both the MasterMode select SysEx command AND the Patch select SysEx command? Or do you keep them separate?

1a. If they are together, do you have any space (time/beats) between each command or is it best practice to have one right after the other?

2. How do you organize them in your Mainstage Concert, - first patch is MaterMode select just to get Yamaha into MasterMode, then, each MS patch after that contains an external instrument track with a Master Patch select MIDI file?

3. Do you use it live?

4. Any other snags to watch for, or best practices?

Thanks, G

May 22, 2014 4:51 AM in response to GRod0926

I only use patch select sysex commands, although I could use master mode select. Since I have the MO6 set to power up in master mode and I only use master mode, there's no need. If I did use the master mode command, I would in include it in the first patch in Mainstage. I would put it first in the chain and put a beat of space before the patch select command. I have a folder with all 128 MIDI files named by patch number. I create an external channel strip, then select MIDI output in the external instrument channel strip inspector, check send MIDI file and press select. Select the desired MIDI file and you're done. I keep my MIDI sysex folder on the desktop, but you can put it wherever you like. I use it live. I works flawlessly. One thing to watch out for: in the ext channel strip inspector>MIDI input>keyboard, do not route your Motif to itself. Instead select "none". Otherwise you'll get a MIDI loop with repeated notes. The only way I was able to stop the MIDI echo after this happened was to reboot. Other than that, it's really cool and it always works.

Can MS send SysEx commands to hardware synth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.