Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 10.0.7 keeps playing after stop command

I started using 10.0.7 today and noticed that when you are playing or recording and hit the stop command, the cursor stops, however Logic contines to play for at least a full second. Happens with both Midi & Audio. This was NOT the case in 10.0.6 and it is driving me CRAZY!! Why does Logic continue to play after you hit the stop command? I've tried to modify every option in the prefernces and nothing changes the behavior. Is anyone else experienceing this? Does anyone have a solution to make Logic STOP when you hit STOP. I can't believe that with this new update they introduced NEW BUGS. Apple: you should focus on fixing this bug invested program instead of jamming new features in.

I'm very close to jumping ship to Cubase....

Mac Pro 12 core 64 gb ram

Logic Pro 10.0.7

Posted on May 21, 2014 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2016 9:00 AM

I had this problem after I imported tempo information from an Acidized WAV file. For some reason it turned on plugin latency as well as pre-roll. I turned both of these off and Logic was back to normal.

(Pre-Roll settings are in the project setting and not in Preferences. Knowing this then would've saved me a lot of headache, hopefully it saves you some, just in case.)

In regards to the music playing after hitting stop,

before resetting your custom key commands (which I love mine dearly) try this:

Preferences>Audio>General>Plug-in Latency>Compensation: Off

User uploaded file

This fixed that incredibly annoying "post-roll" that was driving me crazy.

Wasn't a thread issue, or a preferences file issue.

I'd complain about the pointlessness of some of these features but it would be personal bias, I'm sure somewhere out there some studio can't operate without the things I find incredibly irritating.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2016 9:00 AM in response to Ed Alton

I had this problem after I imported tempo information from an Acidized WAV file. For some reason it turned on plugin latency as well as pre-roll. I turned both of these off and Logic was back to normal.

(Pre-Roll settings are in the project setting and not in Preferences. Knowing this then would've saved me a lot of headache, hopefully it saves you some, just in case.)

In regards to the music playing after hitting stop,

before resetting your custom key commands (which I love mine dearly) try this:

Preferences>Audio>General>Plug-in Latency>Compensation: Off

User uploaded file

This fixed that incredibly annoying "post-roll" that was driving me crazy.

Wasn't a thread issue, or a preferences file issue.

I'd complain about the pointlessness of some of these features but it would be personal bias, I'm sure somewhere out there some studio can't operate without the things I find incredibly irritating.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

May 21, 2014 5:43 PM in response to Ed Alton

If it makes you happier.... Please jump to Cubase..... no one here will care..... We are all just users like yourself.... and neither Apple nor Logic's Devs use this forum to any degree...

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5671

Seriously though, I cannot reproduce your issue here..

By Stop command, you mean you press the space bar yes?

When I press the space bar, Logic stops immediately....

So....

Do you have any 'read ahead' plugins in your project?

Try with a new project and no plugins other than a single SI in an instrument track..to make a sound or a single apple loop in an audio track and test... See if it still does this.

If not, look at which plugins you are using....especially those used for Mastering that read ahead...

May 22, 2014 8:01 AM in response to Ed Alton

10.0.7 and 10.9.3 here....

Various Motu Ultralites..... and several different Macs.. (iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Mini Server, MBP and so on..)

None have this issue so Im guessing something else is going on.....

Dd you test using a brand new project?

If you have the same issue then it's time to trash LPX's prefs and then test again...

Delete the user preferences

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro X back to its original settings. This will not impact your media files. To reset your Logic Pro X user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.
  2. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  3. Press the Go button.
  4. Remove the com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step. See the Logic Pro X User Manual for details on how to do this. If you are having trouble with a control surface in Logic Pro X, then you may also wish to delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder.
  5. If you have upgraded from an earlier version of Logic Pro, you should also remove ~/Library/Preferences/Logic/com.apple.logic.pro.
  6. Restart the computer.

May 22, 2014 9:55 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thanks for the advise, I tried everything you suggested but the problem was still there.

After much experimentation I did discover a way to improve it, yet the solution seems very wrong and frustrating.

I have a new Mac Pro 12 core with 64GB ram

In the Preferences/Audio/Devices setting I had the "Processing Threads" set to 24, since there are 24 threads in a 12 core. When I changed this setting to 12 threads the problem improved greatly. I went back and tried "automatic" as the setting and the problem returned. I started with "automatic" (Processing threads) and then went down from there , 24,22,20,18,16,14, the problem persisted. It was'nt until I set it on 12 threads that the problem improved.

Apple says that 10.0.7 supports 12 core Mac Pros, but there seems to be some issue with that.

Any thoughts?

May 22, 2014 12:12 PM in response to Ed Alton

Apple says that 10.0.7 supports 12 core Mac Pros, but there seems to be some issue with that.

Thats quite possible.... I cannot test for that here as the most cores I have is 8 via an i7 Quad core.. but given they have just added support for 12 cores.. it is possible this new implementation might be a little buggy as this early stage...

All I can suggest is for you to submit feedback via this form...

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

...and hopefully the problem will be resolved in the next update, if indeed, it's the 12 core implementation that is the problem...

Cheers..

Nigel

Jul 14, 2014 11:06 AM in response to Ed Alton

Thanks for finding this solution, Ed. I also have a 12-core Mac Pro that was set to automatic and I was being driven crazy by the same issue. Dropping it down to 12 threads made the stopping lag more reasonable. I agree - I hope that the ProApp folks address this in a future update. For now I'm going to leave it at 12 threads and see if it affects the performance and also do a little investigating (and submit a bug fix request to the apple support area).

Thanks again.

Jul 14, 2014 11:30 AM in response to kobb

I think what you're seeing is added buffers, the more threads, the more buffers. If this is what's happening it's not a good sign as it shows the operating system is becoming very inefficient and that added buffers are required to make things run smoothly, it's probably true for Logic-x as well. There a lot more overhead than in previous incarnations of the OS & Logic. Unfortunately, it doesn't bode well for real-time applications like Logic.

Logic 10.0.7 keeps playing after stop command

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.