Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro speed problems and strange behaviour

Hi all,

The last few weeks I experienced a serious performance fall back of my MacBook Pro (sometimes it takes minutes to open a simple application like Safari, or show the content of a folder). So yesterday I decided to address this problem. This is what i did:

° Cleaned up my desktop

° Cleared up some space on my HD (to about 110 GB = +20% of 500 GB)

° Cleaned up

° In Disk Utility verified and repaired the Disk

° In Disk Utility verified and repaired Disk Permissions

° Disabled Dashboard

° Deleted MacKeeper (I keep on reading bad reviews of the application)

° Purged my RAM

° Ran Onyx Maintenance Scripts

° Cleared most of the cache using Onyx

….

Between all these activities I repeatedly restarted the MacBook Pro.

All with little or no result. The Mac is still very slow. It’s getting really frustrating. But even worse is that after deleting more than 60 GB from my hard drive there seems to be only 50 GB available on the HD, the same amount as before I started deleting stuff.

At least that’s what System Overview (About this Mac) is showing me, the same number that iStat Menus 4.1 and Onyx are showing. But when I open a Finder window, or ctrl click the HD icon and choose Show Info, I see that there is 110 GB free space on the hard drive.

Given the fact that the Mac is still very slow and the fact that the system apparently doesn’t recognize the free space to its full extend, I wonder if these two are related.`

Furhtermore I experience some minor problems, like incorrect dates of files…

I would appreciate any suggestions to get this solved.

Cheers,

OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), MacBookPro8,2, Intel Core i7, 2GHz

Posted on May 31, 2014 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2014 12:15 PM

This might indicate that your hard disk is failing, even if Disk Utility isn't reporting any issues.

Try installing a copy of Smart Utility http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php and check the condition of your HDD. (Note: Smart Utility is a commercial application, but you don't have to buy it: you can use it in trial mode for free.)

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2014 12:15 PM in response to Canticleer

This might indicate that your hard disk is failing, even if Disk Utility isn't reporting any issues.

Try installing a copy of Smart Utility http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php and check the condition of your HDD. (Note: Smart Utility is a commercial application, but you don't have to buy it: you can use it in trial mode for free.)

May 31, 2014 12:29 PM in response to Canticleer

The space could be taken up by Time Machine local backups. When you attach your Time Machine drive, it's supposed to dump the local snapshot to Time Machine.

If you turn off Time Machine this should erase the local snapshots.

Disable Time Machine Local Backups

http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/28/disable-time-machine-local-backups-in-mac-os-x-li on/

Most likely you are going to have to start with a clean install but let's first test in a new User to see if you see same behavior.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out under the Apple in the Menu bar.

Do you still see the slow behavior?

If yes, do you have an external drive that can be used to back up your data as a clone? If no, you'll need get an external drive. I suggest a clone backup for easy restore.

Both of these applications can be used to create a clone.

SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

CCC http://www.bombich.com/download.html

We can go over details of doing a clean install when you have your backup complete.

May 31, 2014 1:38 PM in response to Canticleer

Hi Canticleer,

Your problem could be software or hardware related..........

1. Create a test user account on your machine

2. log in using the test user account (skip using appleid when prompted) and see if performance is faster than in your own account - open Safari, for instance and see if it opens straight away. Test finder too, open folders and compare to your usual account.

3. Try logging in using safe mode (turn on mac and hold down the shift key straight away until a progress bar appears under the Apple logo at startup (you can release the key at this point!). When you get to the logon screen, enter password as normal.

When into your desktop, test the environment again using safari and finder to compare this "safe" mode to your usual logon.

You mention that dates of files appear to be incorrect , this can sometimes indicate that Spotlight needs to be re-indexed. This can cause slow performance.

This is simple to do and instructions are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2409

There are also a bunch of folders that can be cleared out of un-necesary clutter but which ones are cleared depend on whether the test user account works fine or not.

For now, just delete the contents of the caches folder in the user library and the contents of the caches folder in the main Library

~/Library/Caches

/Library/Caches

Deleting these files will have no adverse effect on performance, they are not needed.

You could also remove any login items that could be causing slow performance

Go to System Preferences/Users and Groups/Login items - then highlight any login items in the list and click the minus sign to remove them - 3rd party apps are often the culprits

Also, empty your trash

I hope this helps

May 31, 2014 2:07 PM in response to Canticleer

Thanks for the link to Smart Utility Esquared. I’ll certainly give it a look.

And thanks Dianeoforegon for your help. Yesterday I logged in as a guest, maybe that’s not exactly the same as creating a new user account, but the MacBook behaved the same, so I thought that the problem was not account related, but rather system related.

I’ve been using SuperDuper for quite a while now and I last cloned my HD before I upgraded to 10.9 a month or so ago. For the time being I’d like to keep that clone, because it is the most recent system that really runs smooth. Tomorrow I’ll try to clear out another external drive to create a new bootable clone of my present HD.

After I posted my original question I remembered DiskWarrior. I restarted the MacBook from an external drive and ran DiskWarrior on the HD. The application found a couple of errors and rebuilt the directory. In the report that DW created one of the lines reads: „Incorrect values in the Volume Information were repaired”.

After I restarted the MacBook it was a lot snappier than before and the free space on my HD is the more or less same in System Overview, iStat Menus (both 101,92 GB) and Finder (105,19). Still a difference of more than 4GB though. When I turn off Time Machine in System Preferences all the readings show the same number (105,19). So this was a very valuable tip dianeoforegon.

So I don’t think I need a clean install, but I’m very tempted to do it anyway. When I do, I might come back to you for some guidance, as you were so kind to offer. Very much appreciated.

Thanks to you too Boyblue33, though the MacBook is a lot faster than yesterday, I’m not sure it is as fast as it used to be. So tomorrow I’ll create a new account and compare the two. Now night has already fallen on this part of the world and it’s time to call it a day.

Cheers.

P.S. Thanks for the links Eric.

May 31, 2014 3:11 PM in response to Canticleer

Yesterday I logged in as a guest, maybe that’s not exactly the same as creating a new user account, but the MacBook behaved the same, so I thought that the problem was not account related, but rather system related.

This does indicate it's at the system level. Download EtreCheck and paste results here for help troubleshooting.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

May 31, 2014 4:21 PM in response to Canticleer

First, do not follow the wretchedly bad advice that circulates on this site to disable local snapshots. They have nothing to do with your problem.

1. This procedure is a diagnostic test. It changes nothing, for better or worse, and therefore will not, in itself, solve the problem. But with the aid of the test results, the solution may take a few minutes, instead of hours or days.

2. If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before doing anything else. The backup is necessary on general principle, not because of anything in the test procedure. Backup is always a must, and when you're having any kind of trouble with the computer, you may be at higher than usual risk of losing data, whether you follow these instructions or not.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

3. Below are instructions to run a UNIX shell script, a type of program. All it does is to collect information about the state of the computer. That information goes nowhere unless you choose to share it. However, you should be cautious about running any kind of program (not just a shell script) at the behest of a stranger. If you have doubts, search this site for other discussions in which this procedure has been followed without any report of ill effects. If you can't satisfy yourself that the instructions are safe, don't follow them. Ask for other options.

Here's a summary of what you need to do, if you choose to proceed:

☞ Copy a line of text in this window to the Clipboard.

☞ Paste into the window of another application.

☞ Wait for the test to run. It usually takes a few minutes.

☞ Paste the results, which will have been copied automatically, back into a reply on this page.

The sequence is: copy, paste, wait, paste again. You don't need to copy a second time. Details follow.

4. You may have started the computer in "safe" mode. Preferably, these steps should be taken in “normal” mode, under the conditions in which the problem is reproduced. If the system is now in safe mode and works well enough in normal mode to run the test, restart as usual. If you can only test in safe mode, do that.

5. If you have more than one user, and the one affected by the problem is not an administrator, then please run the test twice: once while logged in as the affected user, and once as an administrator. The results may be different. The user that is created automatically on a new computer when you start it for the first time is an administrator. If you can't log in as an administrator, test as the affected user. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this section doesn’t apply. Don't log in as root.

6. The script is a single long line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, though you may not see all of it in the browser window, and you can then copy it. If you try to select the line by dragging across the part you can see, you won't get all of it.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/libexec;clear;cd;p=(Software Hardware Memory Diagnostics Power FireWire Thunderbolt USB Fonts 51 4 1000 25 5120 KiB/s 1024 85 \\b%% 20480 1 MB/s 25000 ports 'com.autodesk.AutoCad com.evenflow.dropbox com.google.GoogleDrive' DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES\ DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH -86 ` route -n get default|awk '/e:/{print $2}' ` 25 N\\/A down up 102400 25600 recvfrom sendto CFBundleIdentifier 25 25 25 1000 MB );N5=${#p[@]};p[N5]=` networksetup -listnetworkserviceorder|awk ' NR>1 { sub(/^\([0-9]+\) /,"");n=$0;getline;} $NF=="'${p[26]}')" { sub(/.$/,"",$NF);print n;exit;} ' `;f=('\n%s: %s\n' '\n%s\n\n%s\n' '\nRAM details\n%s\n' %s\ %s '%s\n\t(%s)\n' );S0() { echo ' { q=$NF+0;$NF="";u=$(NF-1);$(NF-1)="";gsub(/^ +| +$/,"");if(q>='${p[$1]}') printf("%s (UID %s) is using %s '${p[$2]}'",$0,u,q);} ';};s=(' /^ *$|CSConfigDot/d;s/^ */ /;s/[-0-9A-Fa-f]{22,}/UUID/g;s/(ochat)\.[^.]+(\..+)/\1\2/;/Shared/!s/\/Users\/[^/]+/~/g ' ' s/^ +//;5p;6p;8p;12p;' ' {sub(/^ +/,"")};NR==6;NR==13&&$2<'${p[10]} ' 1s/://;3,6d;/[my].+:/d;s/^ {4}//;H;${ g;s/\n$//;/s: [^EO]|x([^08]|02[^F]|8[^0])/p;} ' ' 5h;6{ H;g;/P/!p;} ' ' ($1~/^Cy/&&$3>'${p[11]}')||($1~/^Cond/&&$2!~/^N/) ' ' /:$/{ N;/:.+:/d;s/ *://;b0'$'\n'' };/^ *(V.+ [0N]|Man).+ /{ s/ 0x.... //;s/[()]//g;s/(.+: )(.+)/ (\2)/;H;};$b0'$'\n'' d;:0'$'\n'' x;s/\n\n//;/Apple[ ,]|Intel|SMSC/d;s/\n.*//;/\)$/p;' ' s/^.*C/C/;H;${ g;/No th|pms/!p;} ' '/= [^GO]/p' '{$1=""};1' ' /Of/!{ s/^.+is |\.//g;p;} ' ' $0&&!/ / { n++;print;} END { if(n<200) print "com.apple.";} ' ' $3~/[0-9]:[0-9]{2}$/ { gsub(/:[0-9:a-f]{14}/,"");} { print|"tail -n'${p[12]}'";} ' ' NR==2&&$4<='${p[13]}' { print $4;} ' ' END { $2/=256;if($2>='${p[15]}') print int($2) } ' ' NR!=13{next};{sub(/[+-]$/,"",$NF)};'"`S0 21 22`" 'NR!=2{next}'"`S0 37 17`" ' NR!=5||$8!~/[RW]/{next};{ $(NF-1)=$1;$NF=int($NF/10000000);for(i=1;i<=3;i++){$i="";$(NF-1-i)="";};};'"`S0 19 20`" 's:^:/:p' '/\.kext\/(Contents\/)?Info\.plist$/p' 's/^.{52}(.+) <.+/\1/p' ' /Launch[AD].+\.plist$/ { n++;print;} END { if(n<200) print "/System/";} ' '/\.xpc\/(Contents\/)?Info\.plist$/p' ' NR>1&&!/0x|\.[0-9]+$|com\.apple\.launchctl\.(Aqua|Background|System)$/ { print $3;} ' ' /\.(framew|lproj)|\):/d;/plist:|:.+(Mach|scrip)/s/:[^:]+//p ' '/root/p' ' !/\/Contents\/.+\/Contents|Applic|Autom|Frameworks/&&/Lib.+\/Info.plist$/ { n++;print;} END { if(n<1000) print "/System/";} ' '/^\/usr\/lib\/.+dylib$/p' '/\/etc\/(auto_m|hosts[^.]|peri|sshd?_c)|Preferences\//s/^\.\/[^/]+//p' ' /\/(Contents\/.+\/Contents|Frameworks)\/|\.wdgt\/.+\.[bw]/d;p;' 's/\/(Contents\/)?Info.plist$//;p' ' { gsub("^| ","||kMDItem'${p[35]}'=");sub("^.."," ") };1 ' p '{print $3"\t"$1}' 's/\'$'\t''.+//p' 's/1/On/p' '/Prox.+: [^0]/p' '$2>'${p[9]}'{$2=$2-1;print}' ' BEGIN { i="'${p[26]}'";M1='${p[16]}';M2='${p[18]}';M3='${p[31]}';M4='${p[32]}';} !/^A/ { next;} /%/ { getline;if($5M2 { b=$3" ops/s, "$4" blocks/s";} $2==i { if(c) { d=$3+$4+$5+$6;next;};if($4>M3||$6>M4) c=int($4/1024)" in, "int($6/1024)" out";} END { if(a) print "CPU: "a;if(b) print "I/O: "b;if(c) print "Net: "c" (KiB/s)";if(d) print "Net errors: "d" packets/s";} ' ' /r\[0\] /&&$NF!~/^1(0|72\.(1[6-9]|2[0-9]|3[0-1])|92\.168)\./ { print $NF;exit;} ' ' !/^T/ { printf "(static)";exit;} ' '/apsd|OpenD/!s/:.+//p' ' (/k:/&&$3!~/(255\.){3}0/ )||(/v6:/&&$2!~/A/ ) ' ' $1~"lR"&&$2<='${p[25]}';$1~"li"&&$3!~"wpa2";' ' BEGIN { FS=":";} { n=split($3,a,".");sub(/_2[01].+/,"",$3);print $2" "$3" "a[n]" "$1;b=b$1;} END { if(b) print("\n\t* Code injection");} ' ' NR!=4{next} {$NF/=10240} '"`S0 27 14`" ' END { if($3~/[0-9]/)print$3;} ' ' BEGIN { L='${p[36]}';} !/^[[:space:]]*(#.*)?$/ { l++;if(l<=L) f=f"\n "$0;} END { F=FILENAME;if(!F) exit;if(!f) f="\n [N/A]";"file -b "F|getline T;if(T!~/^(AS.+ (En.+ )?text$|POSIX sh.+ text ex)/) F=F" ("T")";printf("\nContents of %s\n%s\n",F,f);if(l>L) printf("\n ...and %s more line(s)\n",l-L);} ' ' BEGIN{FS="= "} /Path/{print $2} ' ' /^ +B/{ s/.+= |(-[0-9]+)?\.s.+//g;p;} ' ' END{print NR} ' ' /id: N|te: Y/{i++} END{print i} ' ' / /{$0="'"${p[28]}"'"};1;' '/ en/!s/\.//p' ' NR!=13{next};{sub(/[+-M]$/,"",$NF)};'"`S0 39 40`" ' $10~/\(L/&&$9!~"localhost" { sub(/.+:/,"",$9);print $1": "$9;} ' '/^ +r/s/.+"(.+)".+/\1/p' 's/(.+\.wdgt)\/(Contents\/)?Info\.plist$/\1/p' 's/^.+\/(.+)\.wdgt$/\1/p' );c1=(system_profiler pmset\ -g nvram fdesetup find syslog df vm_stat sar ps sudo\ crontab sudo\ iotop top pkgutil PlistBuddy whoami cksum kextstat launchctl sudo\ launchctl crontab 'sudo defaults read' stat lsbom mdfind ' for i in ${p[24]};do ${c1[18]} ${c2[27]} $i;done;' defaults\ read scutil sudo\ dtrace sudo\ profiles sed\ -En awk /S*/*/P*/*/*/C*/*/airport networksetup mdutil sudo\ lsof test );c2=(com.apple.loginwindow\ LoginHook '-c Print /L*/P*/loginw*' '-c Print L*/P*/*loginit*' '-c Print L*/Saf*/*/E*.plist' '~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \)' '.??* -path .Trash -prune -o -type d -name *.app -print -prune' '-c Print\ :'${p[35]}' 2>&1' '-c Print\ :Label 2>&1' '{/,}L*/{Con,Pref}* -type f ! -size 0 -name *.plist -exec plutil -s {} \;' "-f'%N: %l' Desktop L*/Keyc*" therm sysload boot-args status " -F '\$Time \$Message' -k Sender kernel -k Message Req 'Beac|caug|dead[^bl]|FAIL|GPU |hfs: Ru|inval|jnl:|last value [1-9]|n Cause: -|NVDA\(|pagin|proc: t|Roamed|rror|ssert|Thrott|tim(ed? ?|ing )o|WARN' -k Message Rne 'Goog|ksadm|SMC:' -o -k Sender fseventsd -k Message Req 'SL' " '-du -n DEV -n EDEV 1 10' 'acrx -o comm,ruid,%cpu' '-t1 10 1' '-f -pfc /var/db/r*/com.apple.*.{BS,Bas,Es,OSXU,Rem,up}*.bom' '{/,}L*/Lo*/Diag* -type f -regex .\*[cgh] ! -name *ag \( -exec grep -lq "^Thread c" {} \; -exec printf \* \; -o -true \) -execdir stat -f:%Sc:%N -t%F {} \;|sort -t: -k2 |tail -n'${p[38]} '-L {/{S*/,},}L*/Lau* -type f' '-L /{S*/,}L*/StartupItems -type f -exec file {} +' '-L /S*/L*/{C*/Sec*A,E}* {/,}L*/{A*d,Ca*/*/Ex,Compon,Ex,In,iTu,Keyb,Mail/B,P*P,Qu*T,Scripti,Sec,Servi,Spo,Widg}* -type f -name Info.plist' '/usr/lib -type f -name *.dylib' `awk "${s[31]}"<<<${p[23]}` "/e*/{auto_master,{cron,fs}tab,hosts,{launchd,periodic,pf,sysctl}.conf,ssh{,d}_config,*.local} {,/usr/local}/etc/periodic/*/* /L*/P*{,/*}/com.a*.{Bo,sec*.ap}* .launchd.conf" list getenv /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf\ globalstate --proxy '-n get default' -I --dns -getdnsservers -getinfo\ "${p[N5]}" -P -m\ / '' -n1 '-R -l1 -n1 -o prt -stats command,uid,prt' '--regexp --only-files --files com.apple.pkg.*|sort|uniq' -kl -l -s\ / '-R -l1 -n1 -o mem -stats command,uid,mem' -i4TCP:0-1023 com.apple.dashboard\ layer-gadgets '-d /L*/Mana*/$USER&&echo On' );N1=${#c2[@]};for j in {0..8};do c2[N1+j]=SP${p[j]}DataType;done;N2=${#c2[@]};for j in 0 1;do c2[N2+j]="-n ' syscall::'${p[33+j]}':return { @out[execname,uid]=sum(arg0) } tick-10sec { trunc(@out,1);exit(0);} '";done;l=(Restricted\ files Hidden\ apps 'Elapsed time (s)' POST Battery Safari\ extensions Bad\ plists 'High file counts' User Heat System\ load boot\ args FileVault Diagnostic\ reports Log 'Free space (MiB)' 'Swap (MiB)' Activity 'CPU per process' Login\ hook 'I/O per process' Mach\ ports kexts Daemons Agents launchd Startup\ items Admin\ access Root\ access Bundles dylibs Apps Font\ issues Inserted\ dylibs Firewall Proxies DNS TCP/IP Wi-Fi Profiles Root\ crontab User\ crontab 'Global login items' 'User login items' Spotlight Memory Listeners Widgets Parental\ Controls );N3=${#l[@]};for i in 0 1 2;do l[N3+i]=${p[5+i]};done;N4=${#l[@]};for j in 0 1;do l[N4+j]="Current ${p[29+j]}stream data";done;A0() { id -G|grep -qw 80;v[1]=$?;((v[1]==0))&&sudo true;v[2]=$?;v[3]=`date +%s`;clear >&-;date '+Start time: %T %D%n';};for i in 0 1;do eval ' A'$((1+i))'() { v=` eval "${c1[$1]} ${c2[$2]}"|'${c1[30+i]}' "${s[$3]}" `;[[ "$v" ]];};A'$((3+i))'() { v=` while read i;do [[ "$i" ]]&&eval "${c1[$1]} ${c2[$2]}" \"$i\"|'${c1[30+i]}' "${s[$3]}";done<<<"${v[$4]}" `;[[ "$v" ]];};A'$((5+i))'() { v=` while read i;do '${c1[30+i]}' "${s[$1]}" "$i";done<<<"${v[$2]}" `;[[ "$v" ]];};';done;A7(){ v=$((`date +%s`-v[3]));};B2(){ v[$1]="$v";};for i in 0 1;do eval ' B'$i'() { v=;((v['$((i+1))']==0))||{ v=No;false;};};B'$((3+i))'() { v[$2]=`'${c1[30+i]}' "${s[$3]}"<<<"${v[$1]}"`;} ';done;B5(){ v[$1]="${v[$1]}"$'\n'"${v[$2]}";};B6() { v=` paste -d: <(printf "${v[$1]}") <(printf "${v[$2]}")|awk -F: ' {printf("'"${f[$3]}"'",$1,$2)} ' `;};B7(){ v=`grep -Fv "${v[$1]}"<<<"$v"`;};C0(){ [[ "$v" ]]&&echo "$v";};C1() { [[ "$v" ]]&&printf "${f[$1]}" "${l[$2]}" "$v";};C2() { v=`echo $v`;[[ "$v" != 0 ]]&&C1 0 $1;};C3() { v=`sed -E "$s"<<<"$v"`&&C1 1 $1;};for i in 1 2;do for j in 2 3;do eval D$i$j'(){ A'$i' $1 $2 $3; C'$j' $4;};';done;done;{ A0;A2 0 $((N1+1)) 2;C0;A1 0 $N1 1;C0;B0;C2 27;B0&&! B1&&C2 28;D12 15 37 25 8;A1 0 $((N1+2)) 3;C0;D13 0 $((N1+3)) 4 3;D23 0 $((N1+4)) 5 4;for i in 0 1 2;do D13 0 $((N1+5+i)) 6 $((N3+i));done;D13 1 10 7 9;D13 1 11 8 10;D22 2 12 9 11;D12 3 13 10 12;D23 4 19 44 13;D23 5 14 12 14;D22 6 36 13 15;D22 7 37 14 16;D23 8 15 38 17;D22 9 16 16 18;B1&&{ D22 11 17 17 20;for i in 0 1;do D22 28 $((N2+i)) 45 $((N4+i));done;};D22 12 44 54 45;D22 12 39 15 21;A1 13 40 18;B2 4;B3 4 0 19;A3 14 6 32 0;B4 0 5 11;A1 17 41 20;B7 5;C3 22;B4 4 6 21;A3 14 7 32 6;B4 0 7 11;B3 4 0 22;A3 14 6 32 0;B4 0 8 11;B5 7 8;B1&&{ A2 19 26 23;B7 7;C3 23;};A2 18 26 23;B7 7;C3 24;A2 4 20 21;B7 6;B2 9;A4 14 7 52 9;B2 10;B6 9 10 4;C3 25;D13 4 21 24 26;B4 4 12 26;B3 4 13 27;A1 4 22 29;B7 12;B2 14;A4 14 6 52 14;B2 15;B6 14 15 4;B3 0 0 30;C3 29;A1 4 23 27;B7 13;C3 30;D13 24 24 32 31;D13 25 37 32 33;A1 23 18 28;B2 16;A2 16 25 33;B7 16;B3 0 0 34;B2 21;A6 47 21&&C0;B1&&{ D13 21 0 32 19;D13 10 42 32 40;D22 29 35 46 39;};D23 14 1 48 42;D12 34 43 53 44;D22 0 $((N1+8)) 51 32;D13 4 8 41 6;D12 26 28 35 34;D13 27 29 36 35;A2 27 32 39&&{ B2 19;A2 33 33 40;B2 20;B6 19 20 3;};C2 36;D23 33 34 42 37;B1&&D23 35 45 55 46;D23 32 31 43 38;D12 36 47 32 48;D13 20 42 32 41;D23 14 2 48 43;D13 4 5 32 1;D22 4 4 50 0;D13 14 3 49 5;B3 4 22 57;A1 26 46 56;B7 22;B3 0 0 58;C3 47;D23 22 9 37 7;A7;C2 2;} 2>/dev/null|pbcopy;exit 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

7. Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste by pressing command-V. The text you pasted should vanish immediately. If it doesn't, press the return key.

8. If you see an error message in the Terminal window such as "syntax error," enter

exec bash

and press return. Then paste the script again.

9. If you're logged in as an administrator, you'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You will not see the usual dots in place of typed characters. Make sure caps lock is off. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you make three failed attempts to enter the password, the test will run anyway, but it will produce less information. In most cases, the difference is not important. If you don't know the password, or if you prefer not to enter it, press the key combination control-C or just press return three times at the password prompt. Again, the script will still run.

If you're not logged in as an administrator, you won't be prompted for a password. The test will still run. It just won't do anything that requires administrator privileges.

10. The test may take a few minutes to run, depending on how many files you have and the speed of the computer. A computer that's abnormally slow may take longer to run the test. While it's running, there will be nothing in the Terminal window and no indication of progress. Wait for the line

[Process completed]

to appear. If you don't see it within half an hour or so, the test probably won't complete in a reasonable time. In that case, close the Terminal window and report the results. No harm will be done.

11. When the test is complete, quit Terminal. The results will have been copied to the Clipboard automatically. They are not shown in the Terminal window. Please don't copy anything from there. All you have to do is start a reply to this comment and then paste by pressing command-V again.

At the top of the results, there will be a line that begins with "Model Identifier." If you don't see that, but instead see a mass of gibberish, you didn't wait for the "Process completed" message to appear in the Terminal window. Please wait for it and try again.

If any private information, such as your name or email address, appears in the results, anonymize it before posting. Usually that won't be necessary.

12. When you post the results, you might see the message, "You have included content in your post that is not permitted." It means that the forum software has misidentified something in the post as a violation of the rules. If that happens, please post the test results on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Note: This is a public forum, and others may give you advice based on the results of the test. They speak only for themselves, and I don't necessarily agree with them.

Copyright © 2014 by Linc Davis. As the sole author of this work, I reserve all rights to it except as provided in the Use Agreement for the Apple Support Communities website ("ASC"). Readers of ASC may copy it for their own personal use. Neither the whole nor any part may be redistributed.

Jun 2, 2014 7:01 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Thanks for your reply, the detailed help you offered and the warning.

I ran the UNIX shell script successfully in ‚normal mode”. The results of that script are starring me in the face right now. I see topics titled Log, kexts, Daemons, Agents, launchd, Startup items, Bundies, dylibs, Font issues, Bad plists and so on. Don’t know what to do with that info though.

I feel a little reluctant to post the results here publicly. Can I send you the file in a PM?

Cheers

Jun 2, 2014 7:32 AM in response to Canticleer

Can I send you the file in a PM?

No, that's not possible on this site. If you don't want to post the test results, you can try to figure out the problem yourself, or else you can try the following generic procedure (which may or may not help.)

Back up all data to at least two different storage devices, if you haven't already done so. One backup is not enough to be safe. The backups can be made with Time Machine or with Disk Utility. Preferably both.

Erase and install OS X. This operation will destroy all data on the startup volume, so you had be better be sure of the backups. If you upgraded from an older version of OS X, you'll need the Apple ID and password that you used, so make a note of those before you begin.

When you restart, you'll be prompted to go through the initial setup process in Setup Assistant. That’s when you transfer the data from a backup.

Select only users and Computer & Network Settings in the Setup Assistant dialog—not Applications or Other files and folders. Don't transfer the Guest account, if it was enabled.

After that, run Software Update.

If the problem is resolved after the clean installation, reinstall third-party software selectively. I can only suggest general guidelines. Self-contained applications that install into the Applications folder by drag-and-drop or download from the App Store are usually safe. Anything that comes packaged as an installer or that prompts for an administrator password is suspect, and you must test thoroughly after reinstalling each such item to make sure you haven't restored the problem.

I strongly recommend that you never reinstall commercial "anti-virus" products or "utilities," nor any software that changes the user interface or modifies the functions of built-in applications. If you do that, the problem is likely to recur.

Before installing any software, ask yourself the question: "Am I sure I know how to uninstall this without having to wipe the volume again?" If the answer is "no," stop.

Never install any third-party software unless you know how to uninstall it.

Jun 2, 2014 8:24 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your patience Linc. I’m not sure if I want to erase and reinstall Mac OS X without giving other possibel solutions a chance. So these are the results of the UNIX shell script. I hope this gives you a clue to how to solve the problem.

Cheers

Start time: 17:20:13 06/01/14

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

System Version: OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

Kernel Version: Darwin 13.2.0

Boot Mode: Normal

Time since boot: 9 minutes

Log

May 31 00:44:30 process SystemUIServer[212] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 339; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 45143

May 31 01:57:04 process SystemUIServer[421] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 452; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 45254

May 31 02:01:40 process SystemUIServer[212] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 292; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 46382

May 31 18:49:37 process SystemUIServer[211] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 276; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 46514

May 31 18:59:21 process firefox[420] caught causing excessive wakeups. EXC_RESOURCE supressed due to audio playback

May 31 20:13:01 process SystemUIServer[237] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 349; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 45948

Jun 1 01:03:56 Previous Shutdown Cause: -60

Jun 1 01:05:12 Sound assertion in AppleHDAFunctionGroup at line 1042

Jun 1 17:14:10 process SystemUIServer[204] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 445; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 47855

I/O per process: MacJournal (UID 501) is using 6 MB/s

kexts

at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4052)

Daemons

org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx

com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon

com.zeobit.MacKeeper.AntiVirus

com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper

com.noiseindustries.FxFactory

com.noiseindustries.FxFactory.FxPlug

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

com.lsreset

com.freemacsoft.appcleanerd

com.bjango.istatmenusdaemon

com.Belgacom.backup

com.adobe.SwitchBoard

com.adobe.fpsaud

at.obdev.littlesnitchd

Agents

org.macosforge.xquartz.startx

com.wacom.wacomtablet

com.bjango.istatmenusagent

com.Belgacom.status

com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud

at.obdev.LittleSnitchUIAgent

com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper

com.spotify.webhelper

com.google.keystone.user.agent

com.digitalrebellion.SoftwareUpdateAutoCheck

launchd

/System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent.plist

(com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent)

/Library/LaunchAgents/at.obdev.LittleSnitchUIAgent.plist

(at.obdev.LittleSnitchUIAgent)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist

(com.adobe.AAM.Startup-1.0)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist

(com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.Belgacom.status.plist

(com.Belgacom.status)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.bjango.istatmenusagent.plist

(com.bjango.istatmenusagent)

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.wacom.wacomtablet.plist

(com.wacom.wacomtablet)

/Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist

(org.macosforge.xquartz.startx)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/at.obdev.littlesnitchd.plist

(at.obdev.littlesnitchd)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

(com.adobe.fpsaud)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist

(com.adobe.SwitchBoard)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.aelwriter.plist

(com.apple.aelwriter)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.Belgacom.backup.plist

(com.Belgacom.backup)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.bjango.istatmenusdaemon.plist

(com.bjango.istatmenusdaemon)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.freemacsoft.appcleanerd.plist

(com.freemacsoft.appcleanerd)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.lsreset.plist

(com.lsreset)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

(com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.noiseindustries.FxFactory.FxPlug.plist

(com.noiseindustries.FxFactory.FxPlug)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.noiseindustries.FxFactory.plist

(com.noiseindustries.FxFactory)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper.plist

(com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.AntiVirus.plist

(com.zeobit.MacKeeper.AntiVirus)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon.plist

(com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist

(org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.UUID. plist

(com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.UUID)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.FolderActions.enabled.plist

(com.apple.FolderActions.enabled)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.FolderActions.folders.plist

(com.apple.FolderActions.folders)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.SafariBookmarksSyncer.plist

(com.apple.Safari)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.digitalrebellion.SoftwareUpdateAutoCheck.plist

(com.digitalrebellion.SoftwareUpdateAutoCheck)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist

(com.google.keystone.user.agent)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.spotify.webhelper.plist

(com.spotify.webhelper)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper.plist

(com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper)

Library/LaunchAgents/jp.co.canon.Inkjet_Extended_Survey_Agent.plist

(jp.co.canon.Inkjet_Extended_Survey_Agent)

Startup items

/Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF/ChmodBPF

/Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF/StartupParameters.plist

/Library/StartupItems/ProTec6b/DemoOver

/Library/StartupItems/ProTec6b/Nalpeirond6b

/Library/StartupItems/ProTec6b/ProTec6b

/Library/StartupItems/ProTec6b/StartupParameters.plist

Bundles

/System/Library/Extensions/EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext

(com.epson.print.kext.USBPrintClass)

/System/Library/Extensions/RoxioBluRaySupport.kext

(com.roxio.BluRaySupport)

/System/Library/Extensions/TabletDriverCFPlugin.bundle

(N/A)

/System/Library/Extensions/UsbEthernetGadget.kext

(com.tomtom.driver.UsbEthernetGadget)

/System/Library/Extensions/Wacom Tablet.kext

(com.wacom.kext.wacomtablet)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Auto-Tune_Evo_AU.component

(com.Antares.musiceffects.Auto-Tune_Evo_AU.component)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/iZRX2DeclickerAUHook.component

(com.izotope.audioplugins.AU.RX2Declicker)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/iZRX2DeclipperAUHook.component

(com.izotope.audioplugins.AU.RX2Declipper)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/iZRX2DecracklerAUHook.component

(com.izotope.audioplugins.AU.RX2Decrackler)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/iZRX2DenoiserAUHook.component

(com.izotope.audioplugins.AU.RX2Denoiser)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/iZRX2HumRemovalAUHook.component

(com.izotope.audioplugins.AU.RX2HumRemoval)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/iZRX2SpectralRepairAUHook.component

(com.izotope.audioplugins.AU.RX2SpectralRepair)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/iZRX2DeclickerMASHook.bundle

(com.izotope.audioplugins.MAS.RX2Declicker)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/iZRX2DeclipperMASHook.bundle

(com.izotope.audioplugins.MAS.RX2Declipper)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/iZRX2DecracklerMASHook.bundle

(com.izotope.audioplugins.MAS.RX2Decrackler)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/iZRX2DenoiserMASHook.bundle

(com.izotope.audioplugins.MAS.RX2Denoiser)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/iZRX2HumRemovalMASHook.bundle

(com.izotope.audioplugins.MAS.RX2HumRemoval)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS/iZRX2SpectralRepairMASHook.bundle

(com.izotope.audioplugins.MAS.RX2SpectralRepair)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/iZotope RX 2 Declicker.vst

(com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.RX2Declicker)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/iZotope RX 2 Declipper.vst

(com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.RX2Declipper)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/iZotope RX 2 Decrackler.vst

(com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.RX2Decrackler)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/iZotope RX 2 Denoiser.vst

(com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.RX2Denoiser)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/iZotope RX 2 Hum Removal.vst

(com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.RX2HumRemoval)

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/iZotope RX 2 Spectral Repair.vst

(com.izotope.audioplugins.VST.RX2SpectralRepair)

/Library/Extensions/LittleSnitch.kext

(at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobeAAMDetect.plugin

(com.AdobeAAMDetectLib.AdobeAAMDetect)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin

(com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/EPPEX Plugin.plugin

(N/A)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

(N/A)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

(net.telestream.wmv.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

(com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Musicnotes.plugin

(com.musicnotes.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Musicnotes.plugin/Contents/Resources

(com.musicnotes.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

(com.microsoft.sharepoint.browserplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin

(com.microsoft.sharepoint.webkitplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin

(com.microsoft.SilverlightPlugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WacomNetscape.plugin

(com.wacom.tabletplugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/WacomSafari.plugin

(com.wacom.safaritabletplugin)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Becloud PC Backup.prefPane

(com.Belgacom.configpane)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Flash Player.prefPane

(com.adobe.flashplayerpreferences)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane

(com.growl.prefpanel)

/Library/PreferencePanes/WacomTablet.prefPane

(com.wacom.settingsPrefPane)

/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax

(N/A)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABDialer.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabdialer)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABSMS.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabsms)

Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/A52Codec.component

(com.shepmater.A52Codec)

Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Extensions/extension.safariextz

(com.jonez.vidxplugin)

Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Extensions/torrenthandler.safariextension

(torrenthandler.com)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

(com.Google.GoogleEarthPlugin.plugin)

Library/Internet Plug-Ins/RealPlayer Plugin.plugin

(com.RealNetworks.RealPlayerPlugin)

Library/PreferencePanes/Perian.prefPane

(org.perian.PerianPane)

Library/QuickTime/AC3MovieImport.component

(com.cod3r.ac3movieimport)

Library/QuickTime/Perian.component

(org.perian.Perian)

Library/Services/ToastIt.service

(com.roxio.ToastItService)

Library/Widgets/Fetch.wdgt

(com.fetchsoftworks.widget.fetchupload)

Library/Widgets/iStat Pro.wdgt

(com.iSlayer.iStatpro4.widget)

dylibs

/usr/lib/ColorEfexPro4FC.dylib

/usr/lib/SilverEfexPro2FC.dylib

/usr/lib/Viveza2FC.dylib

Contents of /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

::1 localhost

fe80::1%lo0 localhost

127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 ereg.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 wip3.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 activate.wip3.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 3dns-3.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 3dns-2.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 adobe-dns.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-2.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-3.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 ereg.wip3.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 activate-sea.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 activate-sjc0.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 hl2rcv.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 lm.licenses.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 na2m-pr.licenses.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 ims-na1-prprod.adobelogin.com

127.0.0.1 na4r.services.adobe.com

127.0.0.1 na1r.services.adobe.com

Contents of /etc/pf.conf

scrub-anchor "com.apple/*"

nat-anchor "com.apple/*"

rdr-anchor "com.apple/*"

dummynet-anchor "com.apple/*"

anchor "com.apple/*"

load anchor "com.apple" from "/etc/pf.anchors/com.apple"

Contents of /etc/ssh_config (ASCII English text, with very long lines)

Host *

SendEnv LANG LC_*

Host *

XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth

Contents of /etc/sshd_config

SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV

AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys

UsePrivilegeSeparation sandbox # Default for new installations.

AcceptEnv LANG LC_*

Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/sftp-server

XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth

Font issues: 13

Bad plists

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content1-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content10-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content100-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content101-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content102-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content103-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content104-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content105-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content106-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content107-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content108-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content109-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content11-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content110-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content111-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content112-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content113-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content114-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content115-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content116-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content117-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content118-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content119-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content12-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content120-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content121-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content122-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content123-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content124-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content125-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content13-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content14-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content15-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content16-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content17-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content18-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content19-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content2-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content20-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content21-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content22-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content23-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content24-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content25-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content26-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content27-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content28-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content29-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content3-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content30-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content31-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content32-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content33-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content34-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content35-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content36-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content37-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content38-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content39-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content4-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content40-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content41-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content42-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content43-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content44-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content45-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content46-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content47-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content48-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content49-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content5-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content50-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content51-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content52-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content53-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content54-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content55-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content56-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content57-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content58-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content59-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content6-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content60-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content61-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content62-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content63-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content64-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content65-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content66-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content67-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content68-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content69-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content7-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content70-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content71-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content72-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content73-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content74-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content75-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content76-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content77-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content78-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content79-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content8-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content80-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content81-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content82-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content83-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content84-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content85-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content86-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content87-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content88-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content89-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content9-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content90-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content91-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content92-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content93-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content94-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content95-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content96-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content97-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content98-paginated.plist

Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/8410728 22.ibooks/OPS/assets/hints/content99-paginated.plist

Library/Preferences/com.solidstatenetworks.awkhost.plist

Restricted files: 1318

Safari extensions

torrenthandler

extension

Elapsed time (s): 309

Jun 2, 2014 9:15 AM in response to Canticleer

A.

Remove "MacKeeper" as follows. First, back up all data.

"MacKeeper" is a scam with only one useful feature: it deletes itself.

Note: These instructions apply to the version of the product that I downloaded and tested in early 2012. I can't be sure that they apply to other versions.

If you have incompletely removed MacKeeper—for example, by dragging the application to the Trash and emptying—then you'll have to reinstall it and start over.

IMPORTANT: "MacKeeper" has what the developer calls an “encryption” feature. In my tests, I didn't try to verify what this feature really does. If you used it to “encrypt” any of your files, “decrypt” them before you uninstall, or (preferably) restore the files from backups made before they were “encrypted.” As the developer is not trustworthy, you should assume that the "decrypted" files are corrupt unless proven otherwise.

In the Finder, select

Go Applications

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-A. The "MacKeeper" application is in the folder that opens. Quit it if it's running, then drag it to the Trash. You'll be prompted for your login password. Click the Uninstall MacKeeper button in the dialog that appears. All the functional components of the software will be deleted. Restart the computer.

Quit MacKeeper before dragging it to the Trash.

Don't empty the Trash. Let MacKeeper delete itself.

Don't try to drag the MacKeeper Dock icon to the Trash.

B.

Some of your user files (not system files) have incorrect permissions or are locked. This procedure will unlock those files and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Back up all data.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (triple-click, copy, and paste):

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags nouchg,nouappnd {} + -exec chown $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -N {} + -type d -exec chmod +x {} + 2>&-

This time you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

res

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

C.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall the two extensions. Both are adware.

D.

If you use pirated software, you should expect Internet criminals to take control of your computer and your data.

Jun 2, 2014 10:08 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks. SuperDuper is making a bootable back up of the MacBook right now (I allready made a Time machine back-up first). When that's done, I'll follow you instructions above and keep you posted.

I already deleted MacKeeper, so I guess I'll have to reinstall it first.

Is it meaningful to run that UNIX shell script again after I executed the above instructions?

Jun 3, 2014 7:49 AM in response to Linc Davis

I followed your lead Linc. I’m not sure if the MacBook is any faster now. I’m a little bit spoiled by my iMac and it’s SSD (which is really fast).

I ran the first UNIX shell script you posted here in you first reply again and the results are not that different from the first time I ran it. Still 13 Font Issues and a long list of Bad plists (all of them concerning iBooks).

I also verified my HD in Disk Utilities and everything seems to be okay.

Oh maybe I’m to fixed on the problem to see clearly. I appreciate the effort you took to help me out.

Cheers.

MacBook Pro speed problems and strange behaviour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.