Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple block the use of iphones that have been reported as stolen

simple question that I don't seem to be able to find an answer to.

When a user configures an iphone and connects to apple/itunes then surely the IMEI number is available to Apple. If the phone's IMEI number has been reported as stolen do Apple block the use of that phone with their services i.e. itunes?

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 1:04 PM

20 replies

Jun 5, 2014 1:05 PM in response to andjwoo

No.

Report your lost or stolen device to local law enforcement and your wireless carrier. Apple doesn't track or flag lost or stolen products, but you can use My Support Profile ( supportprofile.apple.com) to find a list of serial numbers for products that you've purchased or registered with your Apple ID.

What to do if your iOS device is lost or stolen

Jun 5, 2014 1:07 PM in response to andjwoo

No. Apple doesn't do that. A cellular provider, however, may be able to do that. As far as you the user is concerned just use a lock screen passcode and enable Find My Phone. If your phone is stolen it will be permanently locked unless the thief knows your Apple ID and password as well as the passcode. The device will be useless to them.

What To Do If Your iDevice Is Lost Or Stolen

iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad

If you activated Find My Phone before it was lost or stolen, you can track it only if it is connected to the Internet by Wi-Fi or cellular. What you cannot do is track your device using a serial number or other identifying number. You cannot expect Apple or anyone else to find your device for you. You cannot recover your loss unless you insure your device for such loss. It is not covered by your warranty.

If your iPhone, iPod, iPod Touch, or iPad is lost or stolen what do you do? There are things you should have done in advance - before you lost it or it was stolen - and some things to do after the fact. Here are some suggestions:

This link, Re: Help! I misplaced / lost my iPhone 5 today morning in delta Chelsea hotel downtown an I am not able to track it. Please help!, has some good advice regarding your options when your iDevice is lost or stolen.

1. Reporting a lost or stolen Apple product

2. Find my lost iPod Touch

3. AT&T. Sprint, and Verizon can block stolen phones/tablets

4. What-To-Do-When-Iphone-Is-Stolen

5. iCloud- Use Lost Mode

6. What to do if your iOS device is lost or stolen

7. 6 Ways to Track and Recover Your Lost/Stolen iPhone

8. Find My iPhone

9. Report Stolen iPad | Stolen Lost Found Online

It pays to be proactive by following the advice on using Find My Phone before you lose your device:

1. Find My iPhone

2. Setup your iDevice oniCloud

3. OS X Lion/Mountain Lion- About Find My Mac

4. How To Set Up Free Find Your iPhone (Even on UnsupportedDevices)

Jun 5, 2014 2:46 PM in response to andjwoo

What does Apple have to do with your phone being stolen? They are the manufacturer. They have nothing to do with the situation at all. They provided a mechanism by which you could lock the device and make sure it's unusable to a thief. It's called Activation lock. Beyond that, there is nothing more they can do about it at all.

Jun 5, 2014 4:24 PM in response to pogster

once again my reply was blocked - so I'll try again and remove what may have been the offending text

To be clear my iphone was pin locked and disabled by the carrier and hopefully wiped clean via the use of icloud. However if you think that would put the device beyond use with Apple or another carrier then you are wrong. Within 10 seconds I found a XXXXX explaining how to XXXX a XXXX iphone. And many countries do not honour IMEI XXXX on their networks so the iphone would be usable outside the UK in my particular instance. My question, which is legit, is to why Apple do not block devices with IMIEs recorded as stolen. That is my fundamental point - not a rant - not trolling - and this question is not answered online - if it is please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction to the relevant posts.

Does Apple block the use of iphones that have been reported as stolen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.