Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Occasional flickering horizontal lines on my Macbook Air (2011)

It's been happening for a few weeks and I really need to know if it's something bad or not because I can't afford a new laptop. Any ideas?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 3:10 PM

17 replies

Jun 5, 2014 3:26 PM in response to precambriansupereon

bit contradictory on your information

opening your Air IS MOVING the display.

Horizontal VOID lines or horizontal COLORED lines?

Detailed specifics without hands on diagnosis are necessary.......if the later, the GPU is rather certainly at fault.

Reset SMC and re-verify.

If same, contact Apple store for free in shop diagnostic evaluation. 😊

Jun 5, 2014 4:38 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I already posted there but they don't know, I didn't get a good reply. You are the only one who understands about hinges in the whole community.

Anyway, since I got your attention, here it goes: I have a macbook pro mid 2012, 15". It's a brand-new display assembly and so are the hinges. However, the lid won't stay firmly where I leave it. For example, if I take it and turn it upside-down so the lid stays open at 90 degree angle, it will quickly fall about 45 degrees, but won't close completely.

I don't remember having that issue with my past macbook pros. Do you know if that lack of tension/friction is alright or it really should't ever move by its own?

ps: sorry for hijacking!

Jun 5, 2014 4:51 PM in response to timelover

For example, if I take it and turn it upside-down so the lid stays open at 90 degree angle

turn what upside down? the entire macbook? Thats not a normal operational use, obviously

clarify yourself better please.

Any macbook Pro or Air display WILL MOVE if not on a stable surface (holding it, moving it, etc)

The friction on the hinge varies a bit from unit to unit, they do not use springs, theyre friction hinges.

Macbook Pro hinge:

User uploaded file

Friction Hinge: A device with torque between two parts on a common axis.

A friction hinge is also commonly known as a:
Constant Torque Hinge, Position Hinge, Clutch, Torque Hinge, or Detent Hinge.

Common Applications include:
Laptop computers; lids, doors and enclosures; positioning device for controls, monitors, arms, seat rests

User uploaded file

Jun 5, 2014 5:04 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

There was this post I found when searching for solutions which said the following: to test whether your hinge is good, you should place you macbook pro base perpendicular to the ground, open the lid 90 degrees (so the lid is parallel to the ground) and see if it falls. If it falls, there's something wrong with the hinge, cause it should stay firm at 90 degrees, strong enough to hold back gravity.

What do you think?

Jun 5, 2014 5:11 PM in response to timelover

timelover wrote:

There was this post I found when searching for solutions which said the following: to test whether your hinge is good, you should place you macbook pro base perpendicular to the ground, open the lid 90 degrees (so the lid is parallel to the ground) and see if it falls. If it falls, there's something wrong with the hinge, cause it should stay firm at 90 degrees, strong enough to hold back gravity.

What do you think?

IF its on a flat and stable surface

NOT however in your lap, or holding it in the air.

However, even holding it firm in the air at 90 degrees between chassis and display, without hardly ANY movement, the display should NOT "flop closed"

however there is NO indication from Apple about any hand-holding or use in lap etc.

Even "half closed" at 3+ inches from closed, it if closes on its own, you have a fault with the mechanical hinges that need to be replaced (they are not tightened, unless the screws are loose which is VERY unlikely).

Yes, your indication is that you need a visit about replacing your macbook Pro hinges.

Contact your local Apple store for appt. for hinge replacement (at their examination).

Jun 5, 2014 5:25 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I don't have any apple store near where I live, only authorized repair centers (I dont really trust those guys). If possible I'd like to avoid going there.

When the lid is half-closed, 3+ inches as you said, it wont close on it's own.

When I perform that test I mentioned, the lid will fall from the original 90 degrees to about 45 degrees, so it won't "flop closed", but won't stay in place as I'd expect.

Jun 5, 2014 5:33 PM in response to timelover

timelover wrote:

When I perform that test I mentioned, the lid will fall from the original 90 degrees to about 45 degrees,

1. IS THAT on a flat table?

If yes, you have defective friction hinges on your Pro

2. Is that holding it in the air , on your lap.............etc?

If yes, then that isnt recognized as an issue, even IF , it is still "too lose". .

Jun 5, 2014 6:06 PM in response to timelover

timelover wrote:

What if it's vertically on a flat table, held by my hands? Under what category would that fit?

your nomenclature is odd. the BASE is flat, and the screen is vertical.

in your hands would be the same as holding freely in the air. , i.e. #2 above.

Even still , Apple Inc. can make its own determination with a free examination.

However if it:

1. sitting on a flat table, NOT your hands, NOT touching it (other than typing)

the display stays in place, and even still stays in place at only 3 inches open, then this is :

normal.

Occasional flickering horizontal lines on my Macbook Air (2011)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.