Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whither "Preview"

I have not kept up with the details in all Updates, and do not understand, (yet) the changes to the "Preview " item. It identifies itself as "Preview 5.5.3, and says it is "owned by NASA - Earth Observatory".

On my screen it has produced, without asking, odd items from the recent past, and one claim it makes is to be able to reproduce files without reference to the original software.

Is there somewhere I can read a description of the functions of "Preview" and how it can be useful (to me).

If you can also explain why Apple needs an Earth Observatory function, I would be grateful.

Eric

Posted on Jun 7, 2014 6:30 AM

22 replies

Jun 8, 2014 1:32 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Hello Diane. Here is the EtreCheck report, which is fairly extensive.

first, to answer your questions: Preview seems to open when I take a "screen shot" item from the desktop. The screenshot which opens may not always be the one clicked, and the background screen is black.

The NASA reference only appeared when I went to the top left-hand corner of the screen and clicked "About Preview" to get some basic information (as when I want to remind myself as to what version I have on my Mac.

I have otherwise absolutely no contact with NASA.

The EtreCheck report seems very extensive It seem to have a problem with my 2 (only ?) GB and maybe my Time Machine isn't running, so I will look. I occasionally run a "Clean my Mac" and as this Mac dates from 2006, but still running well (for me), there are many old files - some of which (photos, family trees etc which I could transfer to a USB)

anyway , one question before I send this report

Can anyone using "Discussions" read the Etrecheck report ?

Eric

Jun 8, 2014 10:12 AM in response to Eric Dalzell

Can anyone using "Discussions" read the Etrecheck report ?

Yes, we'll be happy to help with the results.

The forums are full of users with computers that no longer work correctly after running these so call 'cleaners' (Memory Clean, CleanMyMac, and MacKeeper). Do not install any third party so called Mac cleaning utilities. They can do harm to your Mac.

See this thread for removing Clean My Mac

If you click on the red close button when the NASA file is open then quit Preview and reopen does the NASA file open again?

Select the NASA file. In the top of the window you will see an icon. This is called a proxy icon.

User uploaded file

If you control-click on this icon, it will show you the path where the file is stored. Navigate to the location and delete it. I'm guesing it's in your Downloads folder.

User uploaded file

If you still have problems with this file, take a screen shot when you see this with the black backgrouns using Command-Shift-3 (takes the entire screen)

Click on the camera icon in the toolbar of the reply window to post. Select image to upload.

Be careful not to include any private information.

Jun 9, 2014 2:32 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Well, thank you Diane and Andy, I think I am making progress.

Andy, my Preview version is 5.5.3

I decided to look through my HD and see what is currently in there. (I have two external discs where I keep photos, family trees and similar long-term stuff.)

I found I could immediately remove quite a few items e.g.

Stuff from my old Mac (2005) – Power PC e.g Netscape ? and Mac Janitor ?? etc

Tried to get rid of "Face Time" but it said "can't be deleted, required by MacOS X" (This must be a downright lie). How do I override the refusal ?

Various other weird items like Omni-Outliner (2009), ooVoo (very weird.) and so on

I then went to Disk Utility, checked the Hard Disc (OK) and corrected Permissions (quite a few)

All that took some time but I did a restart and we were up and running after 1 minute 45 secs.

Next: I see I have a very long list of "Utilities" about 40 ! However most are relatively recent (from 2011 to present), but there are a few going back to 2003 and some odd but probably useless items such as Desktop (Mac OS 9), Dossier Textbridge 2004, Making music 2003, User Guides and Information 2007, and several others of the same vintage.

Have you any other suggestions as to where to look for other items to put in the trash ?

Finally, You will be happy to know that I have not found anything dating from my first Mac 512k with external HD of 80k dated 1985. It is sleeping in a cupboard, still in its carrying hbag/harness which made it a portable at the time.

Jun 9, 2014 11:46 AM in response to Eric Dalzell

Tried to get rid of "Face Time" but it said "can't be deleted, required by MacOS X" (This must be a downright lie). How do I override the refusal ?

Face Time is a default Apple app. I'm not aware of an overrride. You don't have to use it.

I'm surprised that you found some of these old applications. When you install Lion, it moves incompatible applications to a folder at the root level.

Open System Profiler under About this Mac.

Under the Software > Applications look for PowerPC apps. None of these will run on Lion and higher.

In Application, you should see the a prohibitory sign (circle with slash) on these apps.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3938

This link provides answers on moving to Lion. See especially this on applications.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2465#FOURTEEN

IMHO, since this computer has been in use for a long time, it would be mush easier to start fresh and only bring over your files rather than clear up years of old applications along with their varing files and preferences

Jun 9, 2014 2:11 PM in response to Eric Dalzell

Eric, If you have an external drive, you can make a clone (exact copy) of your drive. You can always revert to the old copy if needed. I would also setup a clone for the current OS X version with all your changes. The larger external drives 2T or 3T allow you to partition the drive for multiple uses.

Just like a seat belt and an air bag protect you in different ways when driving, you need both Time Machine and a clone for full protection.

Both of these applications can be used to create a clone.

SuperDuper! http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

CCC http://www.bombich.com/download.html

Jun 11, 2014 7:44 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Hello again Diane,

I have been through the older stuff on my HD (mostly Power PC stuff) and trashed them

I found Live Update, Making music,Filemaker Pro, Old Address File, Iomega 2004, Nisus Thesaurus, Stuffit Standard, Desktop Mac OS 9,

Dossier Textbridge 2004, Installer Log File 2005.

Next I will have to get a larger external drive, and then I will tackle the website procedures you gave me in your last two messages

You said that Lion should have highlighted/trashed some of this when I first downloaded it from Apple, so when I get to the next download, will see if the more recent Lion does its stuff.

Again many thanks

Eric

Jun 11, 2014 1:18 PM in response to Eric Dalzell

It sounds like you still had OS 9 installed or the folders were still there.

In a new Finder Window. (click on Desktop. Under File > New Finder Window)

Put in Column view.

You should only see these folders for Lion and newer.

User uploaded file

If you see more folders, post a screen show showing your Macintosh HD folders. We can help suggest what can be deleted or moved.

Jun 11, 2014 2:11 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Here is my Column view: I have only one User, though I ought to add my wife, although she has her own MacBook (on Snow Leopard, .. which I lliked very much)

Column view User uploaded file

The obvious oddball is "livebox" which I should remove ?. The "Devices" shown are Time Machine and four partitions from an external hard disc. Can't remember what "Livebox" did.

How many Gb do I need to download a new Lion 10.7.5 ?

Once again , thankyou Eric

Message was edited by: Eric Dalzell The copy of the column view did not appear in the message. My column was same as yours plus the 'livebox' item and the 'Devices'. Can try again if you like. Tomorrow , but have to go right now...

Whither "Preview"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.