Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to delete second partition

Hello,

I hope someone can help me.

I created a second partiton on my MacBook Pro Retina (512GB) and installed OSX Yosemite Beta 1 on it. So far so good.

I find this first beta version to be very buggy, so I wanted to delete this partition.

Now if I open Disk Utility, under 'partition' everything is greyed out, and somehow my ssd changed name to 'OSX Yosemite' (same name as my second partition).

Also it says down in the description that it is a 'Logical Volume Group', and that the capacity amounts to 40GB, but that's the space I gave to my second partition.

Attached you can find some screen grabs.

Has someone had the same problem?

Thanks

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 3:01 AM

I have the same problem

However, you can't delete the partition without formatiing the whole disk. I hope you have a backup.

I don't know whats wrong with this beta.

25 replies

Jun 10, 2014 2:03 PM in response to davidforer

I had the same issue and fixed it like this.

1) Create a backup of your primary drive (typically named Macintosh HD)

2) Restart your computer and boot into Recovery Mode. To start your computer from Recovery, restart your Mac and hold down the Command key and the R key.

3) Go into Disk Utility and delete the Yosemite partition.

When you delete that partition, the main drive will automatically rename itself. At that point, you can resize your primary partition without suffering any loss of data on your Mavericks OSX installation.

Jun 12, 2014 8:28 AM in response to davidforer

I've been having the same exact problem! I do want to clarify a bit on the original instructions. Once you've rebooted into recovery mode, you'll want to go to this tab(see below). The very top one will still give you the greyed out minus sign. Go to this tab, then choose the erase button and reformat the drive. Once the drive is reformatted you can go to the very top tab (in the sidebar) and erase the 2nd partition. Once that is done you can reformat your main drive back to its' original capacity. I also ran a verify disk and permissions check after this. Everything was good, but it can't hurt! After this, reboot and your hard drive should be back to normal.

User uploaded file

Jul 12, 2014 11:15 AM in response to alec2393

I get as far as brig able to click the minus sign with the Yosemite partition selected. However, when I click "Remove" in the dialog box, I receive a notification that the partition failed with the error "Couldn't in mount disk". This issue arises in both the CMD+R boot of Yosemite as well as the insude the OS 10.9 recovery partition. Please help! I just want to remove this partition. Even trying to reformat the entire drive returns the same error.

Jul 24, 2014 10:21 PM in response to davidforer

Ok So the fix is this....

1. reboot to the recovery partition by restart with alt/option key pressed and choose recovery.

2. Choose disk utility

3. click on your Yosemite partition and erase this partition

4. Reboot to os x mavericks

5. open disk utility

6. click on full hard drive and choose the Yosemite hd and click the minus button on the bottom.

7. drag and resize the Macintosh HD to full space.

8. Click Apply

No data loss....

GOOD LUCK!

Jul 25, 2014 12:23 PM in response to Jeroenn

Another thing to consider....

When Yosmite is installing, it asks you if you want to use FileVault encryption. If you agree then you can't delete the partition afterwards until you turn it off. You can do this in System Preferences>Security and Privacy/FileVault tab. Once it's turned off, it can be deleted via Disk Utilitiy with the usual pre-requisites.

Unable to delete second partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.