Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband 10.0.2 not exporting large files

In Garageband 10.0.02, I get the error msg that my files are too big to export, and I need to reduce the bounce region or convert to CAF format ... I could export similar files easily before and have no idea how to fix this. What is a bounce file or CAF? I can't find any information on how to remedy this.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 10:30 AM

23 replies

Jun 8, 2014 10:58 AM in response to mplynch

Are you writing the files to a drive with a file system that is not MacOSX Extended? Then the file size could be limited by the file system.

AIFF files also have a file size limit: The AIFF file format cannot handle audio file recordings larger than 2 GB.

If you export your song as caf instead, there are no such limits. Only, GarageBAnd cannot share a song as .caf, only Logic can. Use AAC format instead.

Jun 8, 2014 12:45 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the reply. I am writing to my native HD, something I did routinely with these kinds of files before I upgraded to 10.0.2. There is plenty of space on the drive.

The error message says this: "The bounce file exceeds the maximum file size (AIFF 2 GB; WAV 4 GB). Please change the format to CAF or reduce the bounce range."

BUT I am not trying to use AIFF or WAV, I want MP3, and I have no way I can see to use a CAF format, nor do I know how to reduce the bounce range. I really just want to save the file!

Jul 17, 2014 11:27 AM in response to mplynch

Getting back to this post, I did find a work-around -- in another comment somewhere, someone said that, like iPhoto files, GarageBand files are actually folders. If you select and Show Content, you can find an AIFF file hidden in there you can pull into iTunes and convert. It's a pain in the neck, but I can get what I need that way.

thanks for the comments, everyone!

Garageband 10.0.2 not exporting large files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.