Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pismo new battery flashing light then dead

Greetings.

The relatively new battery (after-market M7318) in my PB Pismo suddenly misbehaved and died. I say died, but I dont believe it! Here's the timeline of events.

I normally operate the PB with AC cord. Battery indicator in MenuBar always shows 'plugged' icon & 100% (or very close to it).

Yesterday night, rather than Shut Down, I simply closed the Clam to put the PB to sleep.

This morning at 05:30, a storm passed through, Thunder awoke me and lo, the power went out. Called the power company to report the outage, but shortly after hanging up, the power came back on. Only stayed out for about 10 minutes.

All the while, PB seemed to be sleeping peacefully, sleep indicator light pulsing gently.

Being awake now, after making coffee, I opened the PB, logged in from sleep, and noticed the time of 06:11 and that the MenuBar battery indicator was 'plugged' and at 97%. Having a smoldering question at YahooAnswers, opened browser to that site.

THIS is when I noticed that the lights ON the Battery where not normal (I am used to seeing them all alight). When I noticed it there was ONE light, blinking.

Observing the MenuBar battery indicator, it read 0% !! So... from 97% to 0% in minutes seeming wrong to me, I Clicked the MenuBar battery indicator icon which indicated (greyed out) "Calculating... until full". Looked back at the lights on the battery, still with one light blinking. Don't have a reason, but I then removed the battery, observing the light blinking more closely, the light went out!

Inserted the battery back in the bay, above state the same - 0%, "Calculating...until full". Unplugged the AC and PB goes off - no wonder, no battery with juice! Plugged AC back in and Started Up normally with no ill effects observed.

The above remains the state of the PB & battery.

Started the quest for help by coming here.

After much reading of not so "similar" articles, I am convinced that trying this, then that is futile without expert advice. Just too many variables and procedures to make a judgement about what to follow.

FYI, I have used System Profiler to verify that the battery can be and is detected. Battery = Yes -> remove battery -> Refresh -> Battery = No -> insert battery -> Refresh -> Battery = Yes.

I realize that there will be many bits of info needed to help determine the "State of the PowerBooK". I await inquiry for specifics.

As I said in the beginning, I am not convinced that the battery is the problem. It all happened TOO FAST. Not having spare batteries laying around as I used to in my RoadRunner days, swapping out batteries for a test is not possible.

I am really good at following precedures and documenting things, so Occams's Razor to Calculus seems like a plan.

BTW, everything BUT this seems normal.

Thanx in advance for the Help

CCC aka J Jordan

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G3/500-FireWire, 512MbRAM, 40Gb

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 12:39 PM

29 replies

Jun 9, 2014 11:34 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

There is a chance the battery you bought has some defect that may be the cause of its apparent inability to charge; however there also may be an issue involving the part sometimes known as a DC-in Board where the power supply connects to the port in the computer, and a circuit there helps control power flow to run the computer, ration power to the battery, and charge the battery as needed when the computer is off or on.

Not sure how you could test this DC power circuit board, there may be some hints in places where technical articles, online copies of service manuals (hard to find) or some of the takeapart and repair guides online with images and/or video, some posted by enthusiasts or persons who like to share what they've learned.

Because there are three more common things that can affect the charging circuit, outside of software. If connections are OK in the computer, between the components that may wiggle loose over time and can be checked, and tightened, look into the battery, AC adapter, and DC-in board. These are among a few that are replaceable to some extent by a user or at reasonable cost since the parts aren't too costly.

There are companies who rebuild older computer model battery sets, some do this for a variety of products, so the main concern with a rebuilt battery where the original case is reused, because some have a circuit inside that may or may not need to also be renewed. The Pismo may or may not have one, but later batteries in Apple portables did, and clones sometimes had issue where shortcuts were taken and quality compromised. Early PowerBooks have a PRAM battery that is separate from the power battery and has a limited life, it is on the logic board and can affect system performance when it fails.

Hopefully you can convince your Pismo and replacement main battery to work and play together; there are situations where they may, but should within a reasonable amount of time, especially after the correct resets have been tried more than three times.

Does the clock (PRAM) battery on the logic board have any signs of life? This can affect startup on some models of Mac and can relate to odd issues, perhaps if it has not been replaced, you could check into that, too.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jun 10, 2014 8:36 AM in response to K Shaffer

K

I sense you are fishing for more info, so here goes...

You said:

There is a chance the battery you bought has some defect that may be the cause of its apparent inability to charge; however there also may be an issue involving the part sometimes known as a DC-in Board where the power supply connects to the port in the computer, and a circuit there helps control power flow to run the computer, ration power to the battery, and charge the battery as needed when the computer is off or on.

To be clear, the Pismo & battery have been happy cohorts since Jul2011. At that time Pismo DC-in board was professionally (Apple Authorized) replaced & the battery was bought then. I am pretty sure the pro would have bought just the right replacement battery

You also said:

... Early PowerBooks have a PRAM battery that is separate from the power battery and has a limited life, it is on the logic board and can affect system performance when it fails.

AND...

Does the clock (PRAM) battery on the logic board have any signs of life? This can affect startup on some models of Mac and can relate to odd issues, perhaps if it has not been replaced, you could check into that, too.

Interesting.

I have zapped the PRAM.

When you say "system performance when it fails", I assume you mean the "startup" & "odd" issues you referred to.

There are no issues with startup(see #1 below), BUT "oddly" I am experiencing a couple of issues that seem Energy Saver CP related. It seems that (Power Adapter plugged and mode chosen in ES/CP) the Pismo is behaving as if it perceives itself to be running off the battery, exhibiting screen behaviors that are default to ES/CP Battery mode...

1. After startup, the screen brightness seems to be at 50%. I increase it to 100% using the ƒ2-key (this is NEW - since battery issue)
  2. Screen brightness dims after a few minutes of inactivity (this NOT new but oddly very intermittent until NOW is consistent)

If necessary, I will replace the PRAM batteries, but they do not seem to have died. (Maybe they are dying?)

You further said:

Hopefully you can convince your Pismo and replacement main battery to work and play together; there are situations where they may, but should within a reasonable amount of time, especially after the correct resets have been tried more than three times.

I am unsure what you mean by "... situations where they may, but should within a reasonable amount of time, ..." work and play together.

When you say "... a reasonable amount of time, especially after the correct resets have been tried more than three times.", what are the "correct resets" to which you refer? Reset button on the back I know about (some). Other resets? Significance of "three times"?

BTW, Battery indicator in MenuBar has increased to a whopping 2% since i posted the BREAKING NEWS of display of 1% yesterday. Yeee F***in Haw!

I still yearn for solution...

CCC aka J Jordan

Jun 10, 2014 10:46 AM in response to K Shaffer

K

MORE random info... After reading more stuff regarding batteries...

1. still no lights on the battery
  2. MenuBar indicator STILL shows
    1. plugged icon
    2. 2% (UP from 0% when thread began & 1% after 7 hours time)
    3. still "Calculating... until full" (greyed out) when clicked
    4. NO "Lightning Bolt" charging indicator icon
  3. AC Adapter plug light SOLID GREEN (should be YELLOW if charging the battery)

What about the "battery button" I keep reading about? I see the 4 small (unlit) lights and 1 "long oval" (light? / button? / both?) - bottom line NO LIGHTS on battery & I dont feel any reaction pressing the "long oval" thing.

CCC / J J

Jun 10, 2014 12:08 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Yet MORE... This time ACTION TAKEN:

RESET Power Management Unit (PMU) following instructions :

homertime33

Currently Being Moderated

This helped meRe: Battery Not Charging

Aug 15, 2006 9:16 PM ( in response to Anthony Curcio)

Reset the PMU:

Shut down computer

unplug power

Remove Battery

Press the ON button for 10 seconds with the battery out, and the cord disconnected.

Replace battery

Replace cord

Turn on computer - PMU reset.

Charge the battery (if it will) to full, then run down to 0 again, and full again, and your battery should be optimized

Last step(s) is POSSIBLY in progress. Tell ya why...

After reset PMU (#1 & #2 are NEW)

1. Left indicator light on battery blinks, all during startup.
  2. continues blinking for ±1 minute after login & login items load (±3 minutes from Power button press)
  3. MenuBar indicator reads 3% (see previous reply for % history) "Calculating... until full"
  4. Since battery had a little trickle left, unplugged AC adapter
  5. Pismo ran off the battery for ≤2 minutes
  6. Plugged AC Adapter back in
  7. StartUp
  8. Current state
    1. Indicator 0%
    2. No Lightning Bolt
    3. AC Adapter plug GREEN not Yellow
    4. No lights on battery

Could it be that Reset PMU did tha trick? I guess waiting a few hours may tell if the battery is actually charging.

SIDE QUESTION: Is there "A Better Battery Indicator" software that might be more forthcoming about what is actually happening (or not happening) with battery and/or Power Management??

CCC

Jun 10, 2014 12:46 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

There may be a source (somewhere?) online for a free battery gauge utility

that would work in an obsolete OS X 10.4.11 Tiger system; one of the last

best items was a Widget that could show several things at once, including

battery. However the more recent ones do not work in PPC Mac or systems

earlier than 10.6. iStat Pro may still have an older archive version online.

Example but for OS X 10.5:

iStat Pro v 4.9.2 Widget from download mirror (no longer supported)

http://www.brothersoft.com/d.php?soft_id=308885&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmacfiles.brothe rsoft.com%2FDashboard%2Fmisc_widgets%2Fistat_pro_4.92.zip

Be wary of softonic & other download sites that may load adware etc too.

Likely I'd saved several free gauges and software, in an offline archive,

from when my other Macs were running Tiger 10.4.11; or before. Some

are on DVD or CD, a few are in FW400 external drive enclosures, a few

in Cloned systems that could be used to boot Macs I still have that are

now running Leopard 10.5.8.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/PowerBook_G3_Pismo

A fair guess, if the battery is more than two years old, or a poor clone of an

original Pismo PowerBook G3 500 battery, it may be dead. Even if it did not

see many charge-cycle events. I have some batteries (Apple) for my mid-

2005 iBook G4 1.33 12" that have super low cycles and died early on. They

were both from the replacement recall era. Two are only better than one if

they are actively used; since they go bad sitting new on the shelf.

•PRAM battery part number:

Backup Battery922-3829

•Replacement Pismo PRAM battery (example) source - OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/PRAMPBG3LP/

•Pismo PRAM 'battery replacement' repair guide - iFixit.com:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G3+Pismo+PRAM+Battery+Replacement/21

I'd refered to any results from a PMU or PRAM reset event, within a short time

after the same, should nothing change in the system charge status; when I

said 'if they don't work & play well together.' Since within up to four hours after

a reset of these (both) where you know the reset was performed correctly, a

battery of that type should be well on its way to a noticable recharge.

I'm not sure about some of this since I've not repaired a portable in awhile.

Though I have three; two work and a G4 PowerBook (aluminum) does not.

Sorry to not follow your questions very well or concisely with a reply.

I have to go offline now and do several other things; hopefully one of

the veterans of Pismo will see your thread and add helpful insights.

If you were to contact Charles Moore (formerly of AppleLinks) he may

be able to tell you some things about Pismo. LowEndMac used to be

a good source of information, but likely has lost its luster as time passes.

Good luck. 🙂

Jun 11, 2014 9:36 PM in response to K Shaffer

K Shaffer wrote:

There may be a source (somewhere?) online for a free battery gauge utility

that would work in an obsolete OS X 10.4.11 Tiger system; one of the last

best items was a Widget that could show several things at once, including

battery. However the more recent ones do not work in PPC Mac or systems

earlier than 10.6. iStat Pro may still have an older archive version online.

Well, guess what...

User uploaded file

Here's a current (pun) Screen Grab...

User uploaded file

I am eminently unqualified to make a whole lotta sense of these values, since I don't know what they should be. The fact that there are values at all and "Info" seems to indicate that Pismo is at least communicating with battery.

This values/graphs seem to be cumulative since installation. The "+" buttons expand the time lapsed of the graph(s) visible in a window, no matter what size (shown is default state but will maximize for the "big picture")

Circled is 4% (up from 3% last post) after a little <24 hours after installation(0%). Methinx the Status should NOT be Trickle if charging properly. Doesn't seem to meet your stated expectations for success, does it? I followed the steps for PMU, PRAM & tiny RESET button stated in my post immediately prior, 3 times as you suggested.

BTW, I tried the battery in the right bay... no difference immediately apparent, so back to the left bay battery went.

In yet an earlier post, I said:

What about the "battery button" I keep reading about? I see the 4 small (unlit) lights and 1 "long oval" (light? / button? / both?) - bottom line NO LIGHTS on battery & I dont feel any reaction pressing the "long oval" thing.

I think I mean a battery RESET button that would affect the battery's mini-processor? I suppose the above question still remains. Can any light be shed?

Have a good US Open & World Cup.

J J / CCC

Jun 11, 2014 9:52 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

It occurred to me System Profiler data might complete the knowledge baseline:

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 30

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Wake On AC Change: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake On LAN: No

Wake On Modem Ring: No

Display Sleep Uses Dim: No

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No

Wake On AC Change: No

Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake On Modem Ring: No

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Reduce Brightness: No

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes

First low level warning: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6600

Remaining Capacity (mAh): 253

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 11179

Cycle Count: 0

Jun 12, 2014 1:43 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

The battery values appear squewed or lopsided; and no battery gauged

I'd used in a portalble shows a left and right. The System Profiler often

shows more battery info that the screen shot of the Profiler window; but

that looks like part of the Battery/Power info. And it does look like battery

failure of some kind may be in effect.

A button on the battery itself should just turn on the LEDs on the battery

as that's what they do on most vintage batteries, such as mid-2005 iBook.

A reset (pram or PMU) can perform a reset in the computer, and that could

help a battery or other hardware be recognized, or other reset of function.

If you had a picture of the bottom of that battery where buttons are

and could use the camera link to put that into a post, it may be a

little helpful; but I think the battery is toast.

The PRAM reset is where you hold the four keys down on restart and

let the startup chime sound, three times, before letting the keys go.

However the PMU and other things may not take the first time. In some

desktop computers where they have a PRAM clock battery on the board

an improper reset could make that small battery drain fast. However that

battery usually has a few years life at best, too. More expensive to replace

the PRAM battery in a laptop where one exists, than a desktop cell.

The full-charge capacity is the 'probable full charge' if it could be fully charged

and once these batteries are flat dead, they seldom go back to a near full level

plus if they are bought new-old stock, they have little shelf life, a very short useful

life. So that may be part of the problem. A new battery made two or three years

ago may be in a new box, but chemistry starts to decay until they're new dead.

Somewhere online about a year ago I'd found an archive of another older iStat

Pro that could run in Tiger 10.4.11; a link above for Leopard 10.5.8 version works.

That offered a good value across the system, as far as gauges or values went.

At this distance, I'd suggest a replacement main battery; perhaps a rebuilt or a

new copy of the original. And have no ideas on a source, but see a few for sale

in places such as powerbookmedic, welovemacs, powermax? maybe. Some

repair companies offer spares for sale if you buy a refurb computer from them.

And then there's that PRAM battery as linked in my earlier post, on logic board.

Sorry to not be of much help in this...! 🙂

Jun 20, 2014 8:09 AM in response to K Shaffer

72 hour update (for what its worth) with Questions and Theory(?)

Battery Level is now at a whopping 30% !! (= ±10%/day and thus ±1%/2.4hours <= significant?, see images following)

The aforementioned XBattery app seems to indeed be relying upon the battery's internal microprocessor, since results shown are cumulative whether or not Pismo is awake, asleep or shut-down.

Following are XBattery app WindowGrabs that show graph "spikes" ± every ... wait for it ... every 2+ hours!

Heres the XBattery GRAPH Grabs in 3 magnification views:

VOLTS

4 HOUR

User uploaded file

12 HOUR

User uploaded file

72 HOUR

User uploaded file

AMPERES

4 HOUR

User uploaded file

12 HOUR

User uploaded file

72 HOUR

User uploaded file

LEVEL

4 HOUR

User uploaded file

12 HOUR

User uploaded file

72 HOUR

User uploaded file

QUESTIONS:

What Pismo PMU activity is actually involved in the battery charging process?

Pismo PMU must certainly need to know "if" charging is required & if so, then send volts/amps the battery's way

IF Pismo PMU & Battery were having a civil conversation regarding the battery's need for charge, wouldn't the graphs/values be strong and steady for a charge cycle?

Do value spikes actually indicate a "charge cycle"?

If so, shouldn't a "normal" charge cycle graph show a relatively smooth climb over time?

For instance, the 72hour Level graph should be a slope rather than steps

HYPOTHESIS:

Assuming: the XBattery data is indeed cumulative regardless of Pismo's state of awakeness AND that indicates Battery Microprocessor(BM) is not dead

The Pismo PMU is misbehaving.

OR

The BM is misbehaving.

OR

I am in favor this one:

The critical Battery "state of charge" data is erroneous in that, for a moment, the PMU is told by the BM that "I need charging" THEN is told "I am charged" in short order.

The voltage graph spike/drop is abrupt but not "complete" in that, it spikes high then does not fall to the original level but some level above the beginning of the spike, then tails away until the next spike (see 4 HOUR graph)

The tail away is sorta confusing to me, but I am ignorant.

The Ampere graph does not, as a rule, show ANYTHING but a spike from 0.000A to a high of 2.043A then back to 0.000A in a very short time span – then level until the next spike.

Along the same lines, the Level graph shows an abrupt "step up" at the ±2 hour interval

I am, of course, ignorant and probably wrong.

I wish there was a Battery Utility app for the Pismo that could reset the BM like the PMU can be reset (I guess it worked). I have Googled such a thing, to no avail.

Also, is there a forum that deals with Batteries & Power to which I could cross post this thread?

Patiently waiting for a full charge - by my analysis should be done in about a week. We'll see what happens then.

Thanx for your help

CCC aka J J

Jun 20, 2014 9:46 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Aside: I am very displeased with the "New and Improved" Discussions design. I lost my personalized page and all "following/created" associations to my account - had to "Intuitively" drill down from the N&I front end to get to this post (which indicated I was already following it) - I had to click the FOLLOW link/button & click it again to make it really 'followed' by my identity. This seemed to trigger the follow/created quality in all the others though - I guess we can call that a feature (just like MicroSoft calls a documented BUG a FEATURE)

On to the issue.

In browsing around (actually using the search function in the header), I discovered:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

AND

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

On http://www.apple.com/batteries/ we find this colorful graph that explains some of my prior questions.

http://images.apple.com/batteries/images/chargechart.gif

... WAIT - posting this to see if image actually shows up

Jun 20, 2014 11:28 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

THIS POS SiteWare: I am very displeased with the "New and Improved" Discussions design. I lost my personalized page and all "following/created" associations to my account - had to "Intuitively" drill down from the N&I front end to get to this post (which indicated I was already following it) - I had to click the FOLLOW link/button & click it again to make it really 'followed' by my identity. This seemed to trigger the follow/created quality in all the others though - I guess we can call that a feature (just like MicroSoft calls a documented BUG a FEATURE)

After composing this message the first time-- I COULD NOT REPLY/SAVE IT - I fortunately Saved the text to TextEdit bfore trying agin here. IT HAD BETTER FORMATTING THE FIRST TIME BUT TO **** WITH IT.

=================================================================

On to the issue.

In browsing around (actually using the search function in the header), I discovered:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

AND

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

On http://www.apple.com/batteries/ we find this colorful graph that explains some of my prior questions.

http://images.apple.com/batteries/images/chargechart.gif

User uploaded file

... it seems that the XBattery app VOLTAGE graph is mirroring this graph (tho not as colorfully)

The Spike on XBattery Voltage graph coincides BOTH (I believe) with the Beginning of the green voltage/cell line AND the 1st blue-dotted-vertical line which is the END of the Stage 1 Fast Charge.

On both XBattery & the image above, theCharge Current 'Tailing off" slope is the trickle charge from 80% to 100% charge(2nd blue-dotted-vertical or the end of Stage 2 Trickle Charge.

Every time I look at XBattery, it indicates "Trickle" status - which is normal Stage 2 charging. This indicates that I am never looking at the charge status value when it spikes OR that it happens so fast that it can't be reported to anything other than the graph.

Notably:

Trickle Charge is Normal and expected.

The 2-hour Stage 1 Fast Charge never happens.

Being ignorant, I dunno what this means. PMU misbehaing? Battery Microprocessor misbehaving? Both? Neither?

Now for the RANT...

The aforementioned http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html page was kinda hard for me, a power user, to find. After all, I first stated (a week ago) that I had searched the community for answers before asking for aid.

Page sez in part:

Standard Maintenance

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktop’s iCal. When your battery no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, you may choose to replace it. If your notebook came with a built-in battery, you should have the battery replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

This simple (albeit obscure) advice seems rational & reasonable – but IT IS NEWS TO ME that "Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time." They are basically saying that any Apple Portable Computer was Never Meant To Be Someone's Primary - let alone ONLY - COMPUTER (at least from a Battery Maintenance perspective).

If this is not true, all they would have to "recommend" would be "don't leave the battery in the bay all the time" or somesuch, then the rest of the advice would apply nicely. But of course, this would not encourage one to BUY A DESKTOP AND BUY A LAPTOP now would it. Subtle, yet obvious corporate greed creeping into simple copy-editing.

... and Bless Us All, Every One... - Tiny Tim

CCC/JJ

Jun 27, 2014 8:50 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Well, it happened again ! ! ! ANOTHER Misbehavior! ! ! !

Power Outage! at 04:40 CST today.

don't ask me how, but I awoke from sleep to witness it! Maybe my dog had a premontion and made some noise...

Pismo State = Shut Down, AC Adapter plugged in

I will skip ahead a bit in time to report...

EXACTLY SAME BEHAVIOR AS BEFORE = Battery Level very quickly to 0% (< 15 minutes) after StartUp

Keep in mind that any Grabs are as I write this after 08:30 CST following Starting Up and examinations and that everything appeared as I left it at ShutDown last night when first began exam

My Actions at Power Outage:

1. Unplug AC Adapter (reasoning = Power Outage was the First Event (? trigger ?) of the bad behavior

2. Employ portable emergency lighting

3. Report outage to Electric service company

4. Go back to sleep

Power Restored at 06:26 CST

My Actions at Power Restoration:

1. Plug in AC Adapter

2. Make coffee

3. Pismo StartUp/Login at ±06:50

4. Battery lights dark = same as observed thruout the apparent trickle charge these past days

5. XBattery examination results

1. Battery level 62%

2. Charging = trickle

3. Graphs look just like they have for past days (see earlier Grab images)

6. I went about checking eMail, etc.

7. Noticed Battery light flashing at ±08:20 CST

Results in the Same misbehavior as first reported. = Battery light flashing every ±0.5 seconds

Rapid Battery "Drain" -- I just don't see HOW that can possibly happen in physics

Battery history graphs: seem to show some kind of event about the time of StartUp or shortly after. Grabs taken AFTER ±08:40 CST at intervals

The Event is marked with "?" cursor

LARGE IMAGES can be viewed FULL SCREEN

INDICATOR COLORS - I am still wondering what the "Red" above the graph bounds means - checking with Author

User uploaded file

LEVEL

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

VOLTAGE

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

AMPERAGE

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

ACTION PLAN:

1. Reset PMU

2. Reset Battery

3. See what happens AGAIN !!

CCC

Jun 27, 2014 1:01 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Appears that if your Pismo were equipped with Dual Batteries (?) the battery life would

be extended; and the Battery gauge software you have that suggests a Left/Right cell

would show the 'other' battery and its progress; or lack there of. The modular bays are

the reason why there could be two batteries.

A primary battery - several years old - may be used up.

And a battery by some third-party maker or source may

be of dubious quality or shorter life than original quality.

http://lowendmac.com/2000/pismo-powerbook-2000-firewire/

And the PRAM battery, once it fails to retain a charge, can inhibit a computer's ability to

boot up. In the PowerBook Pismo G3, according to LowEndMac article from years ago,

you could unplug the PRAM battery if it were dead, to enable booting; but settings are

going to be way off and date/day wrong, too. So the file system then may be affected.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/specs/powerbook_g3_400_fw.htm l

•PowerBook Pismo won't charge - google results:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=PowerBook+Pismo+won%27t+charge

Sorry about how the issues the new ASC site has caused your user experience to suffer.

You appear to not be alone in several details, including those attempting to follow single

ASC discussions without having to get email notifications from all of them on the site.

Hopefully you can discover a connected answer between the PRAM reset, the life of

the main battery (I think it is beyond useful life) and see if the internal PRAM battery

can be tested via a non-invasive process that won't affect correct function if not bad.

And again, links to those support pages... that you likely already have visited.

•About NVRAM and PRAM

•Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)

•Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Good luck in this matter! 😐

Pismo new battery flashing light then dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.