Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change iTunes music for slideshows in iPhoto

I've never been able to change slide show music from Theme to one of my playlists in iTunes when using iPhoto. I can see them and select and save but when I start the show it goes back to Theme.

I'm using 9.5.1 iPhoto on a 27 inch Mac desktop running 10.9.3.

Any suggestions?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 13, 2014 5:03 PM

21 replies

Oct 12, 2018 1:16 PM in response to Old Toad

Sorry for the delay OT, I've been traveling and just got home.

I did the reset as you suggested but still have Red Garland as the music source. It's as if iPhoto ignores the command to make whatever playlist I suggest the default.

Related but different issue; someone told me the other day that Apple no longer supports iPhoto, isn't selling it anymore, and will soon intro a replacement. True? My music problem aside, I find navigating moving pictures in Events to be a challenge so it wouldn't bother me if they or someone else has a better replacement.

Jun 16, 2014 6:36 AM in response to Wmatthies

Hi Wmatthies,

Take a look at the article below, you can follow along with the steps in it to ensure the settings are correct when adding music to a slideshow.

iPhoto 9.5: Add music to a slideshow

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH15200

You can add music to your slideshow. iPhoto includes a selection of theme music, or you can use songs or playlists from iTunes, or songs from GarageBand.

Add music to a slideshow

1. Do one of the following:
    • Select the slideshow in the Source list, and then click the Music button in the toolbar. (If you’re in full-screen view, first exit it by moving your pointer to the top of the screen and clicking the Full Screen button that appears in the top-right corner.)
    • While a slideshow is playing, move the pointer to make the slideshow controls appear, and then click the Music button:User uploaded file
  2. In the Music Settings window, make sure the “Play music during slideshow” checkbox is selected.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • To use one song for the whole slideshow, choose an option from the Source pop-up menu, and then select a song.To listen to a song, double-click it, or select it and click the Play button. To stop playing the song, click the Play button again.
    • To create a playlist of several songs, select “Custom Playlist for Slideshow,” and drag songs from the top list to the area below the checkbox. To reorder songs, drag them up or down in the list.
  4. To adjust the slideshow length to the music (or vice versa), see Change slideshow settings.

To prevent slideshow music from playing, deselect “Play music during slideshow” in the Music Settings window.

Tip: If it takes a long time for a slideshow to start, it might be because the background music is a very large file. Try choosing a song with a smaller file size. To see a file’s size, open iTunes, select the song, and then choose File > Get Info.

-Jason

Jun 17, 2014 9:22 AM in response to Jason L

Thanks for the response Jason, unfortunately I still have the same problem.

I've followed the instructions you included, which is what I have been doing. I go into music settings for an iPhoto slideshow, which defaults to "Theme". I see my playlists and all my music within iTunes in the pulldown menu, I select one playlist rather than the default Theme music. However when I hit save and begin the slideshow within iPhoto, the music automatically defaults back to one song in "Theme", Red Garland's "Hey Now."

The one thing you suggested that I wasn't doing was beginning the playlist and then changing the music, however I tried that and also no luck. Once I select an alternative playlist and hit play it's back to Red Garland.

Jun 17, 2014 10:15 AM in response to Wmatthies

Get ready to scream - log into another user account and test iPhoto and the music there. This will tell us if it's system wide or limited to your account only.

If you don't have that problem in the other account try the following in your account:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents the following folder:

User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

Jun 17, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Wmatthies

Perhaps the problem is your iTunes library. Test with a different iTunes libary:

See: How to open an alternate iTunes Library file or create a new one

As a test:

• Quit iPhoto
  • Create a new iTunes library with a few songs (without Red Garland)
  • Quit iTunes
  • Launch iPhoto and try your slideshow

If a new iTunes library works better, recreate your old iTunes library. How to recreate iTunes Library http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

Jun 17, 2014 11:57 AM in response to Wmatthies

I'm assuming the "Theme" music is part of iPhoto but I'm not sure.

Yes, it is.

songs downloaded from the Internet

Your songs may be in an audio format, that is not supported in iPhoto.

For example, I am seeing the same as you, when I try to use a playlist with midi files.

Do you get the same problem with standard audio formats, like AAC or AIF?

Can't change iTunes music for slideshows in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.