Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme removes port forward settings every reboot

I have set up various port forward settings on my Airport Extreme from OS X Server. However, every time I reboot the Airport, all port forward settings are lost except Contacts, Calendars, and DNS. It gets very troublesome to constantly readd all my settings in there. Port forwards are the only settings that are lost.

Please help!

Posted on Jun 14, 2014 12:00 PM

11 replies

Jun 16, 2014 3:39 PM in response to xoxorockoutloud123

One more check to try.

- After entering the port forwards, take a copy of the AE configuration using Airport Utility -> File -> Export Configuration File.

- Once saved use Airport Utility -> Import Configuration file and check the port forwards exist and check whether they are persistent now.

- You can also check via a Terminal command: grep 1701 /path/to/filename.baseconfig which will check that one of the port forwards was saved in the config file.

If the port forwards cannot remain persistent after this check, then it appears the AE is defective.

See how you go

Mar 26, 2015 12:33 AM in response to xoxorockoutloud123

I'm having the same issue here – running Yosemite 10.10.3 beta with the latest version of OS X Server, Airport Utility and have the latest firmware (7.7.3) installed on my AirPort Extreme (2013).

The exact same entries; DNS, Contacts and Calendar persist after a restart. Interesting, I've been adding the ports in a specific order (so they appear "grouped"). I managed to get up to 29 entries fine using the "Configure other" option – I was setting up remotely from work. When I restarted via the AirPort Utility locally, it removed all the entries after Calendar. It's strange that it always seems to happen after Contacts and Calendar.

Mar 26, 2015 3:20 AM in response to jamie.shaw

I found the issue – and it's fairly simple and obviously really. I'm guessing you were adding the ports from OS X Server in the order they are listed within Server.app (where they are listed in alphabetical order). After Calendar, Contacts and DNS is "File Sharing".

If this is enabled, whilst File Sharing is enabled on the AirPort Extreme, the port forwarding entry for File Sharing, and anything below is removed.

Simply disable "File Sharing" from AirPort Utility before continuing (as recommended by Server.app when setting up the service for File Sharing).

I understand you replaced your AE and no longer have the issue – I thought I'd leave the explanation should others encounter it. 🙂

Airport Extreme removes port forward settings every reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.