Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes keeps changing my song info that I have changed in the past back to the info when I bought it.

So I am using Itunes for Windows 8 on my laptop and for certain songs, I change the song information to keep my library more organized. For instance, if I bought a single from the itunes store, when the album comes out I change the song information to the album. However, itunes keeps changing this information back, but the weird thing is if I play the song or hit "get song info" then the information is automatically changed to what I set it to. However, every time I open itunes, all my info is changed again, and if I don't play the song or hit get song info, the information that I don't want is snychronized to my iphone. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 1:13 AM

In iTunes go to Edit > Preferences > Store and turn off

• Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases
  • Share details about your library with Apple

On any iOS device go to Settings > Music and turn off

Show All Music

Close iTunes. Reopen. You may see your changed data straight away, or it may revert when you play content.

tt2

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2014 1:13 AM in response to ty1172

In iTunes go to Edit > Preferences > Store and turn off

On any iOS device go to Settings > Music and turn off

Show All Music

Close iTunes. Reopen. You may see your changed data straight away, or it may revert when you play content.

tt2

Nov 7, 2014 7:07 AM in response to ty1172

I have also had the same issue almost identically. I like to keep my iTunes very organised, so if the artists column contains a featuring artist for example, i will change this so that the artist column only contains one artist for organisational purposes. A standout issue is organising the artist 'Jay-Z', however it keeps reverting back to 'JAY Z' or JAY Z FEAT.'' which is annoying, despite changing the sort artist and all other fields to prevent it happening again. This tends to happen when iTunes is restarted or when i shut down the computer.

Nov 12, 2014 3:15 PM in response to stridie

The suggestions above by turingtest2 wont work if you want iTunes to download the artwork when adding music from cds.

This was not a problem in version 10. We held off upgrading to 11 as long as possible, but finally our purchases could not longer be seen in 10 so we were forced to upgrade. It was bad enough that version 11 changed the sorting rules, but to change the customization that we want is really problematic. What is the point of being able to edit the info if the changes wont stay?

We similarly like to keep music better organized by standardizing band names. We have also recreated albums from multiple sources and the items purchased from the iTunes store keep reverting to the way they want to list them. This makes us not want to buy anything more from iTunes. I'll go to other sources to purchase and import them into iTunes.

larch

Nov 28, 2014 8:00 AM in response to ty1172

I have had this problem in the past, and thought I'd solved it, but after upgrading to iTunes 12 it has resurfaced but only for a small number of tracks within my library.

I already had the iTunes settings as per turingtest2's fix above, and have changed my iPhone settings. But some of the tracks affected are not ones synced to my iPhone.

The problem (iTunes overwriting the track information I have entered) applies to 285 of almost 8,500 tracks in my library and I can't work out why it's only these that are affected. The tracks include ones that are synced to my iPhone and some that aren't, some tracks I've bought from iTunes and some I ripped from CDs, some that have been in the iTunes library since I first started it and some that I added just last year, and anywhere between just one and all the tracks from the same album have had their information altered. Restarting iTunes and/or playing the tracks does not help.

Any ideas what's going on and how I fix this? I'm getting pretty tired of re-editing my track information over and over again....

Nov 28, 2014 8:16 AM in response to RamblinChris

For iTunes purchases the recommended settings about ought to fix things. There is another potential issue with mp3 files that have multiple tags.

Multiple tags (mp3 files only)
The ID3 specification allow files to have multiple tags in different versions and languages, but iTunes only works properly with single tags. When multiple tags are present iTunes can sometimes fail to apply updates to the tag that it reads back either on subsequent playback or import (presumably updating one of the others in the file) and it is also possible that iPod/iPhone/iPad & iTunes may have different rules for which tag they give priority to. This could lead to situations in which everything is properly organised in iTunes but then inexplicably falls apart on an iPod/iPhone/iPad. There are 3rd party tag editors that can manipulate multiple tags but I don't have a recommendation offhand. A workaround in iTunes is to use right-click context menu Convert ID3 Tags... > None a few times to remove all existing tags and then Convert ID3 Tags... > v2.3 to build a fresh tag with the information still held in the iTunes database. I've read in the past that iTunes isn't fully compliant with the v2.4 spec. although this may no longer be the case, however support for v2.3 is widespread so I would suggest using v2.3 over v2.4.

Note this process removes any embedded artwork. There are scripts that can save artwork as local images in the album folders or reinsert those images, to wit: savealbumart and restorealbumart.

Backup your library and test first with a single album that you know you've had problems with in the past.

tt2

Nov 29, 2014 9:27 AM in response to RamblinChris

Mine is doing exactly the same RamblinChris, you are not alone. However, when i double click the tracks in order to play them, they revert to the correct information for a short period of time, until it decides to change back...

The 'convert ID Tags' feature i came across the other day but wasn't confident with it. I also dont think this feature is available on all tracks as i haven't found it since...

All i know is that i'm becoming increasingly frustrated with iTunes amongst others, and i'm very tired of having to correct my library info time and time again...

If anyone does eventually find a solution, please let me know!

Nov 29, 2014 12:20 PM in response to turingtest2

I don't use iTunes Match, im trying to simplify what i use to overcome this problem.

Isn't the tag info only required where i have missing track information? I have complete track info but this changes in time automatically anyway.

I am downloading MP3 auto edit tag info software as we speak. Hopefully that can provide the changes i need and fix the issues.

I will keep you posted

Thanks

Nov 29, 2014 12:38 PM in response to stridie

Just checked out the software, the tracks that i have had issues with did not need fixing or additional info - i can visibly see that isnt a problem, its the sorting columns that automatically revert to information that i don't want.

In addition to what you said about right click... convert ID3 Tags... i can't find this tab. I run my iTunes with Windows 7. Never used to have this problem, only the last 12 months this issue has risen.

Nov 29, 2014 12:42 PM in response to turingtest2

If I turn off the "Share details about your library with Apple" it also turns off the "automatically download album artwork". If I try to turn on the get album artwork it makes me share. Very frustrating.

The changes seem to happen once a week.

The next thing we are going to try is to make MP3 versions of the songs and then put the iCloud versions on an exclude playlist. That list is full of songs we don't want to sync to the iPods.

Larch

Nov 29, 2014 12:54 PM in response to stridie

I believe that either of these two preferences are turned on

iTunes may attempt to pull the original metadata for your store purchases from the iTunes store. It doesn't actually change the tag stored in the file, but it shows the original metadata in the library. If you turn both options off, and you see the correct info, or playing restores it, or you use the script, then you should continue to see the correct data thereafter.

Other possible reasons why metadata might change is if third party software alters it, or if there are multiple tags and the internal code of iTunes is changed such that it has cause to read a different one. I've addressed multiple tags earlier in this thread. Windows Media Player is one of the programs that can cause problems. See Getting iTunes & Windows Media Player to play nicely for details. If you use a 3rd party auto correcting tool of some variety then iTunes won't see the changes until it has cause to refresh the tags, e.g. playback, my script, or removal and reimport. Personally I wouldn't trust the likes of TuneUp to fix things they way I would. See Grouping tracks into albums for more on that score.

tt2

Itunes keeps changing my song info that I have changed in the past back to the info when I bought it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.