Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save a webjournal as webarchive file or HTML

Hi,

during a worldtrip I made many Web Journals with my iPad using iPhoto. Now I would like to download them as Webarchive or HTML to store them offline.

Here is an example of one of my Webjournals:

https://www.icloud.com/iphoto/projects/#5;CAEQARoQCJ3BMHX9aSB6xF_b_5zZ3w;9112E92 A-DE8F-4DC2-B281-BFE7F3FD5FB8

When using Safari and creating a webarchive file, it first seemed to work. But then I found out that I cannot open the file when being offline.

The function out of iPhoto to create an HTML download unfortunately does not work either, because my iPad lost the connection which cannot be repaired, I had many discussions with the service desk, but this seems to be a known bug.

So, my only hope is to get a offline version from the link provided above.

Any Ideas, it is really important to me.

Manu

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 1:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 2:55 AM

If you disable javascript, either from Safari - Preferences - Security, or via the Develop menu (enable that from Safari - Preferences - Advanced) then you can at least open the webarchive while offline. Clicking images get a larger view won't work, but it may be enough.

Saving the page as HTML complete from Firefox will produce an HTML file & folder including the images, so that they might be more readily viewed individually in Preview; although that still won't work in a browser offline w/o javascript being disabled.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2014 2:55 AM in response to Manu_123

If you disable javascript, either from Safari - Preferences - Security, or via the Develop menu (enable that from Safari - Preferences - Advanced) then you can at least open the webarchive while offline. Clicking images get a larger view won't work, but it may be enough.

Saving the page as HTML complete from Firefox will produce an HTML file & folder including the images, so that they might be more readily viewed individually in Preview; although that still won't work in a browser offline w/o javascript being disabled.

Jun 23, 2014 4:50 AM in response to Manu_123

You could look at something like http://www.sitesucker.us/mac/mac.html

although it may well also create pages that don't work with javascript while offline.

I scarcely use iOS, but gather from Web journal editing and printing that you can export from iPad to a Mac computer, where perhaps... the files will be stored locally : but is that the thing you can't do due to some unresolved problem ?.

>>my iPad lost the connection which cannot be repaired

If so, I'd ask in the iPad or iPhoto for iOS areas here, since users there will know much more than I do.

Jul 4, 2014 2:44 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Dear Andy,

in in the meantime I downloaded sitesucker, but it did not work. The developer told me, it is a simple tool, that cannot deal with javascript.

The iPhoto App on an iMac is different from the iPhoto App on an iPad. The function of Webjournals is only available on iPads.

The problem I referred to is that the webjournals are also not on my iPad anymore, as it had to be reinstalled. Even though my iPad still "knows" that these Journals in the Cloud are mine, it does not allow me to edit them anymore and I also cannot get them back on my iPad, So the Connection between my iPad and the Cloud is somehow destroyed. This is a known bug but Apple was not able to help me and to bring them back to my iPad .If the webalbums were still on my iPad, than iphoto has a very nice function to create an HTML from a webjournal, which then could be stored via iTunes on the iMac.

So, this is the whole story why I try to download the webjournals from the Cloud. But with your help I am now able to at least store page by page offline. This means now all my heavy work can be saved offline, in case the whole Cloud might disappeared once. This was a big step forward. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Manuela

Jul 27, 2014 7:59 AM in response to wolibien

Dear Wolfgang,

when you have a web journal on your iPad which you can still edit, then you can create an HTML export as follows:

- open your web journal on your iPad

- click on the "rectangle with the arrow" sign on the top right corner

- you will see an iCloud, iTunes or Beam icon => choose iTunes

- now you can select HTML export

After the job is done, connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. Now you can download the HTML export from your ipad to your computer. This will include all pictures, text, layouts etc. Click on the index.html file to open your offline web album on your computer.

Best regards,

Manu

Aug 1, 2014 1:56 AM in response to wolibien

Dear Wolfgang,

this was not a silly question. I tried it again today and it took me one hour ;-) But if you know how to do it, it seems very easy and you wonder why it took you so long. Here is what you need to do:

- Start iTunes on your Computer

- Connect your iPad to your Computer (if iPhoto starts, close it)

- In iTunes click on the new icon "iPad" which appeared on the top bar on the right

- Click on Apps and scroll down

Now you see the apps with which you can share documents between iPad and your Computer. In my case this is Adope Reader, iPhoto and Kindle.

- Click on iPhoto

- Select your web journal and save it on your computer

A new folder will be created on your computer which contains many files

- In this folder start idex.html to see your webjounal which is now offline on your computer

Hope you will be successful

Best regards,

Manu

Save a webjournal as webarchive file or HTML

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.