Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic board failure powermac g4mdd M8570

Hi all;

Our Powermac G4 mirrored door unit will not start. It gives a no display cable connected message on the screen; otherwise, all black. We think it may be the logic board. I would like to get a replacement logic board, but I cannot relate the part numbers I see from sellers on the internet with any of the numbers on the logic board. I wrote every spec I could find on the machine, but no luck on the logic board. I don't want to buy something incompatible. Can anyone point me it the right direction?

Here's what the tag said: 1GHz-DP 512Mb 80GB HD/DVD-R/CDRW R9000Pro MDM/KYBD/MAC OS X

The CD drive doesn't work, so we can't try to boot it with a disk. The reset buttons do nothing, as does that 4 key combination hold down thing.

TIA,

Pat

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 7:43 PM

11 replies

Jun 30, 2014 12:09 PM in response to pek771

Thank you all for you suggestions, but...

The PRAM battery was changed last year. It has 3.7+ volts, according to my voltmeter. It is a size 1/2 AA.

Serial number check says its a PowerMac MDD G4.

There are no 820- numbers on the logic board. I did find 630-4281. This is on a sticker on the board. Fully, it says:

KD23405DUNG1A 630T3984/630-4281

I just want to find a somewhat inexpensive logic board to replace the old one, but I just want to be sure it fits. I have no way of doing a diagnosis of the problems, and to bring it to someone who does would cost more than the computer is worth.

Thanks again. Sorry to sound like an ingrate.

Jul 5, 2014 6:12 PM in response to pek771

Well, I put the used logic board in. The machine started right up, and then said it needed to reboot. But, now it won't reboot, gives the same error as before, and smells like a circuit fried (could be dust, but it is electrically smelly). Back to the drawing board. I may just buy a used G4 from eBay.

We only use the computer to play Snood.

Logic board failure powermac g4mdd M8570

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.