Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with mail and Mac App Store, can't reinstall mavericks.

I have a 2012 Macbook Air. A while ago, I started getting this message when I tried to open mail.

User uploaded file

Also, when I try to open the mac app store, it looks like this regardless of the tab I choose.

User uploaded file

First, I tried backing everything up through time machine and restoring my mac, but that did nothing. Next, I tried repairing the disk through recovery mode, but it said everything was ok. Lastly, I tried reinstalling Mavericks through recovery mode, but I got a message saying "OS X Mavericks failed to download. Use purchases page to try again." Of course, I can't use the purchases page because it won't load . The nearest Apple store is 2 hours away, so I'd really like to avoid visiting one, if possible. I would be grateful beyond words for any help. Thanks in advance.

Lane

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 8:32 PM

2 replies

Jun 29, 2014 8:48 PM in response to Theatergeek1

Just to confirm, you can boot into the Recovery Drive by holding down Command R when restarting.

When you select to reinstall OS X, what happens?

User uploaded file

Fix for missing MAS

It's possible #1 will do the trick, but you might need to do the additional steps in Keychain access.

1. Delete the files /var/db/crls/crlcache.db and /var/db/crls/ocspcache.db. These can be found using Finder’s Go >; Go To Folder menu (Cmd + Shift + G). This resets the cache of accepted certificates in the system. It doesn’t remove them, it just forces the system to rebuild the caches upon restart.

2. Open Keychain Access (/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access). Select Certificates in the Category picker on the left side. In the search bar, type in the word Class. Look through that list, and find any certificates that have a blue + symbol over their icon. These are the ones you need to modify.

Select one that has a blue +, and hit Command + I. Click the disclosure triangle beside the “Trust” list to show the list of permissions. Now, what we need to do is to set this certificate to use the system defaults. However, for some reason, when you select it, it doesn’t save. So what you need to do is this. Under “Trust”, where it says “Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)”, change the dropdown menu to say “No Value Specified”. Then, close the window. It will ask for your administrator permissions. Then, open the info pane for that certificate again. Under “Trust” again, now set the dropdown that says “When using this certificate:” to say “Use System Defaults”. You can then close out of the info pane, and enter your password again. Do this for any of the certificates that have a blue + on their icon. There should only be one or two at most.

(Note: I had to toggle the settings before it would stick)

Restart your system.

Jun 29, 2014 11:09 PM in response to Theatergeek1

Your OS X installation is corrupt.

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS.* You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need the backup unless something goes wrong. If the system was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used.

If you use FileVault 2, then before running the Installer you must launch Disk Utility and select the icon of the FileVault startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another icon with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main Recovery screen.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it. The same goes for Xcode. All other data will be preserved.

*The linked support article refers to OS X 10.9 ("Mavericks"), but the procedure is the same for OS X 10.7 ("Lion") and later.

Problems with mail and Mac App Store, can't reinstall mavericks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.