Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad is in what seems like permanent restore mode after iOS 7.2 update?

I updated my iPad 4 this morning with iOS 7.2 and had problem after problem. First it said l couldn't update it until it had more than 50% battery power so the progress it had made just quit. Then I plugged it in and it started again and said it couldn't update unless it had "x" amount of storage space. So I deleted a bunch of apps, and started it again, and then it just shut down my iPad altogether and when it turned back on, the iTunes micro USB appeared on my screen. So then I plugged it into my computer thinking it would do whatever it needed to do, and nothing - - zip - -my computer/iTunes/theCloud acted as if they'd never heard of my iPad - - so I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, (I'm running Windows 8.1 - - yes I know it *****!!!) and still, it doesn't give the options to change devices, or choose devices for that matter. It worked a week ago when I got my new iPhone5s and used the backup from the cloud.

So I came here to Apple Support and saw that someone else (a few people actually) were having this same problem, at least with the iTunes screen coming on and not being able to do anything beyond that point. I read along and followed someone's instructions for restoring your iPad when you're having difficulty restoring your iPad......and it just won't work!!!

I've turned it off. Unplugged the USB cable, I've held down the power button simultaneously with the home button and booted it up, holding down the home button and it still just goes right to the iTunes screen.

So, being the computer geeky girl that I am, I started looking through my control panel to see what was different, etc. As it turns out, after running a problem detector on my laptop, it said two device drivers are missing for the "Apple Mobile Device (Restore Mode)" and it tried fix the problem by updating or reinstalling the drivers but in the end it gave me an "error code 28".

All my iPad does not is turn on from a black screen to a white apple in the middle for a few seconds before it goes to that blue iTunes plug screen, and after a period of time, it shuts off completely. My iPad ran perfectly fine last night and now this morning, ever since this update that was supposed to FIX stuff and make it RUN BETTER....it is completely unusable.

Can someone please tell me what to do?

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 4:33 PM

I wish that I could give you a definitive fix for your problem, but I can't. All that I can do is to try to point you in the right direction and I hope that the information that I provide for you here, has something in it that will work for getting your iPad restored,

I assume that this is what you tried and it didn't work, but just in case take a look at it. This describes recovery mode and it can take a number of attempts before it will work.

If you can't update or restore your iOS devic

This my be helpful for the iPad not being recognized in iTunes. It sounds like you have tried most of theses suggestions, but it doesn't hurt to look it over again and make sure that there isn't something that you still haven't tried.

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

This is was copied from Apple' iTunes Error codes support article. This information covers the 28 error code.

Check for hardware issues

Related errors: 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 1000, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

These errors mean that your device or computer may have a hardware issue that's preventing the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't preventing your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Confirm that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Sometimes when nothing else works, DFU mode can get the iPad up and running again.

http://www.imore.com/tip-put-iphone-ipad-dfu-mode

http://osxdaily.com/2010/12/04/ipad-dfu-mode/

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/dfu-mode-for-dummies.27489/

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2014 4:33 PM in response to GeekyNerdGirl

I wish that I could give you a definitive fix for your problem, but I can't. All that I can do is to try to point you in the right direction and I hope that the information that I provide for you here, has something in it that will work for getting your iPad restored,

I assume that this is what you tried and it didn't work, but just in case take a look at it. This describes recovery mode and it can take a number of attempts before it will work.

If you can't update or restore your iOS devic

This my be helpful for the iPad not being recognized in iTunes. It sounds like you have tried most of theses suggestions, but it doesn't hurt to look it over again and make sure that there isn't something that you still haven't tried.

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

This is was copied from Apple' iTunes Error codes support article. This information covers the 28 error code.

Check for hardware issues

Related errors: 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 1000, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

These errors mean that your device or computer may have a hardware issue that's preventing the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't preventing your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Confirm that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Sometimes when nothing else works, DFU mode can get the iPad up and running again.

http://www.imore.com/tip-put-iphone-ipad-dfu-mode

http://osxdaily.com/2010/12/04/ipad-dfu-mode/

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/dfu-mode-for-dummies.27489/

Jul 1, 2014 6:13 PM in response to GeekyNerdGirl

iPad: Unable to update or restore

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4097

iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

If you can’t update or restore your iOS device

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

iPad Stuck in Recovery Mode after Update

http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com/ipad-stuck-in-recovery-mode-after-update .html

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jul 2, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Demo

🙂 Demo, thank you so much for your time and help yesterday. Your post was thorough, and I went through each of the things you suggested, one by one which pretty much took the better portion of my day, but finally, I ended up having to resort to uninstalling iTunes entirely, along with all the Apple devices drivers, etc. (and every other thing except the iCloud) and I reinstalled it all fresh, plugged in the iPad, and it solved the problem.

As it turns out, somehow during the iOS update, the Apple iBoot USB (Recover) Driver, was deleted.

I was able to restore from a previous iCloud Backup, and I was so excited that even THAT was working, that immediately I chose the latest backup (which was 6-29) and it restored everything everything back to where I was pre-iOS 7.2 update.

Here's the problem though:

Prior to yesterday I've been having a terrible problem with Facebook working with my third-party apps on the iPad. This too, happened after i updated the iOS to 7.1 . Apps/games within Facebook (some not all) that you download into your device but they play through your Facebook log-in don't communicate anymore with Facebook somehow, and they keep giving me an error message along the lines of "oops it seems like you're logged out of facebook" and then when I try to connect to facebook through them it says there is some kind of connection error (with facebook). When I go to Facebook in my settings, it tells me please log in for " " but then when i go to settings it doesn't even provide options to actually hit a "login" or "go" key or whatever. It just says please enter the password for " " to log in to facebook....and when I enter the password there's no button to push or anything and my only other option is to delete the account, which i have done numerous times but that doesn't work. I've also deleted and reinstalled facebook, but that doesn't change a thing.

Any idea what I can do to fix this? I'm such a ding dong...I should have restored my iPad to a time prior to when that problem happened too, but like I said I was so overjoyed I got it to work at all, I didn't think when I restored it from that backup. Should I restore again but choosing a different backup time? Or is this something that can be fixed manually by me?

Thanks so much for your awesome suggestions.

Jul 2, 2014 9:19 AM in response to GeekyNerdGirl

I'm sorry that you had to go through so much aggravation, but I am glad that you were finally able to get your iPad restored and working again. I don't use FaceBook so I have never used the app.

When you deleted the FaceBook app, did you see this in the settings on your iPad? And if you did see this and you reinstalled the app, are you saying that there was nowhere to accept or sign in like this screenshot shows in my settings? I am totally unfamiliar with the app, but most apps when deleted, make you start from scratch and because of that, all of these settings would be or maybe I should that these settings should be showing in the settings again.

User uploaded file

When you delete an app, you delete all data associated with the app as well, so in order to retrieve your data you would have to restore from a backup anyway. If you have a backup prior to the one that didn't work, it would be worth a try to use it and see if it works.

Jul 2, 2014 12:22 PM in response to GeekyNerdGirl

What happens when you delete the app and start over again? If you delete the app, do you see what my screenshot was showing?

Read all of this very carefully before you proceed. If you are still unclear as to what to do, post back before restoring the backup. If you don't have another recent backup, don't restore from an old one.

Since you are - or I assume that you are - backing up with iTunes, do this first. Launch iTunes (don't connect the iPad yet) and go to Edit>Preferences>Devices from the iTunes menu at the top. In the resulting window, you will see any backups that you have for your iPad listed in that window. If you do not have any other very recent backups, you probably do not want to restore a very old backup.

IF you see another very recent backup that you want to restore from - do this. At the bottom of that same window - check the box that says Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically. Then click OK. And quit iTunes.

Connect your iPad to your computer with the cable. Now you will have to start iTunes on your own. When you click on the "prevent iPods ....from syncing " option, that turns off auto syncing and keeps iTunes from starting automatically. In order to make sure that you can see your iPad in the sidebar ..... from the menu at the top .... go to View>Show Sidebar. Now your iPad name should be visible in the left sidebar. Right click on the iPad name and select - Restore backup. A drop down menu bar will appear in a pop up window and you will be able to select the backup that you want to restore from in there. Restore the backup and sync with iTunes.

Jul 2, 2014 2:18 PM in response to Demo

User uploaded fileThis is what it looks like when I opened it. It only seems to list my iPhone and even that backup actually was from my iPhone 4S I just replaced with the iPhone 5S which I used to have a lot more recent backups in this same folder when I used it to start my iPhone 5S....now it only shows a backup from a long time ago and I back up every day on both devices. I think 5/5 is actually when I installed itunes for the first time.

The Facebook screen looks like that no matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall. It never goes back to the screen you showed me. My iPhone looks like your screen and although I do have this same problem with my iphone, it is only with one program/game from Facebook.....it's weird....

This is exactly how iTunes looked yesterday when I was trying to figure out what was going on. Since then I've completely removed and reinstalled it and it did restore the backup but I didn't realize it still looked like this in preferences....

Yikes

Jul 2, 2014 6:13 PM in response to GeekyNerdGirl

I wanted to see if you had anything in iTunes that might work, but you did say that you have a backup from iCloud dated 6/29 and that was the one that you used. If you wanted to try to restore from another iCloud backup, assuming that you have another one, you have to erase your iPad and activate it all over again in order to get to that backup in iCloud.

This explains how to do it. It is not difficult to do, but it takes time.

iCloud: Restore or set up your iOS device from iCloud

There is one other thing that might work - resetting all settings - but I'm not extremely confident that it will solve the problem. It is relatively harmless to try, but if you do this, you will have to enter all of your device settings again and it does take some time to get through all of the settings and get them back to where they were. I am suggesting this because it seems like there is something corrupt in your settings that isn't allowing you to sign in again.

If you want to try this go to Settings>General>Reset>reset all settings. I don't know if it will help, but it isn't as much work or doesn't take as long as erasing the iPad and restoring from iCloud.

Jul 2, 2014 8:30 PM in response to Demo

I'm confused...Okay so after I reinstalled a fresh new copy of iTunes last night, and then plugged my iPad into it and it took it from the itunes restore screen to a screen that gave me a choice of backups I had for the iPad (various dates) it did it's thing and then my iPad was brought back to exactly where it was just before the iOS update, which happened to have this Facebook problem (that's the whole reason I was so eager to update the iOS software to begin with, in the hopes of fixing the FB connecting to server, etc. problem I'd been having) So the first time I plug in my iPad after this whole fiasco, and itunes comes on and says welcome to your new ipad, blah blah blah....set up as new ipad or restore from this backup, in which it only gives me a backup choice of one backup from May 5th from my iphone 4S (which I recently replaced with an iPhone 5s). I don't know which thing to choose. If I choose the iPhone backup thing, will that work? I already know what will happen if I say set up as new iPad in terms of bringing it back to factor settings....but what about my purchased apps, songs, shows, movies, videos, books, etc.? Those are saved in the cloud? Or? They appear in my Apps, and in my iTunes so I presume they will still be downloadable, but I keep hearing all this stuff about how terrible it is to restore ipad back to original factory settings and I'm just curious why? Is there some consequence I'm missing? Or is just the time suck factor? This has already sucked so much of time that I'd have been smarter to return to factory settings in the first place.

My new iPhone 5 which when it was set up was able to be set up from the same laptop I'm using for iPad, and it was set up with the iCloud backup from its predecessor iphone 4s......but now when I plug in the iphone itunes keeps telling me it couldn't connect to Noelle's iPhone because the device timed out....and in iTunes preferences it only shows one backup from my iphone device from may 5th......it says it's not remotely connected to any devices...and it doesn't seem to realize it's ever talked to my iPad....

I'm so confused as to which thing is screwed up. Is it my iPad? My HP computer running the wicked Windows 8.1? My new iPhone 5s being set up with my iPhone 4s iCloud backup? (which I had a choice from several current/recent backups when I set up the new iphone - - now suddenly I only have that one old one) Is it a combination of all these things just having a conspiracy to make me pull my long curly locks out? 😉 Or do I have some malicious virus or hijacker or whatever just wreaking havoc on me? I have Norton's full on protect every single thing you can imagine....but I've been looking at device settings and software preferences for so long now they all jumble together.

What is "recover mode" which my iPad was stuck in yesterday? What did that mean "recover"?

Do I have to erase before I can restore from backup?

What does that restore from backup actually mean? Restore my apps and stuff? Or restore the software the runs the ipad? Or both?

If I set up as new iPad will I still be able to get my apps back?

What should I do with my iPhone 5? It's got the same issue as the ipad with Facebook but not as many games are affected on my iphone for some reason...it seems to help that i log into facebook from chrome on my iphone....then some apps work like normal again....

ugghh

Thank you so much for your help and your patience.

Truly, thank you so much.

Jul 4, 2014 7:38 AM in response to GeekyNerdGirl

I haven't forgotten about our discussion and I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. When I saw this last post, I realized that I didn't have the time to try to sort through it all and give it my best response. Unfortunately, I'm still is a similar position, but want to check back in and see if you made any progress at all. I promise that I will post back, when I have the time to really devote to it.

In the meantime, I am hoping that by bumping the discussion someone else will join in with something useful for you.

Jul 6, 2014 10:02 PM in response to GeekyNerdGirl

I just went thru the process of having to restore my hubby's IPad after the latest update! I ran into the same issues with the whole plug in iTunes logo. Needless to say he was not happy about having to lose everything and was not sure he had even backed anything up. I managed to do the restore and I ended up "SYNCHING" the iPad with his laptop (a mac) this synched his contacts and notes and calendar. As far as getting his photo's back we got most of them and the apps I went in and authorized his computer and when I did that he was able to see all the apps he had bought or got for free. I reinstalled them via the cloud it was rather tedious to have to reset everything mail and sign in apps but he is very happy I restored most of his things after the whole update debacle. I hope this helps a little!

Jul 6, 2014 10:57 PM in response to GeekyNerdGirl

Geeky Nerdy Girl you are funny but no need to pull your curly locks out just yet. If you can't get around the problem (iTunes plug in on your device) then you may need to restore. That symbol means your device is in recovery mode. It prompts you at some point to restore your device. Restoring your device means it resets it to factory settings (like when you took it out of the box) you can restore it and go back to the earlier time if it works for you. If you restore it back to factory setting and synch another Apple device if you have one (I used a mac) you may be able to synch the two and transfer your pictures and apps. It's complicated to try and give you each step I usually just google the topic like how to synch 2 apple devices after restore... or how to transfer apps from one apple device to another. I did have to set up "apps" like Facebook with my password and username as well as my email. I can't give you any advice for the windows computer I didn't think iTunes and windows played well together meaning they weren't compatible. It may be but I use a mac.

Here's some information I found that might be useful!

http://www.imore.com/how-to-setup-iphone-ipad-icloud

Jul 7, 2014 8:37 AM in response to Demo

That's okay hun. You've been a tremendous help!!! Your patient and thorough advice and guidance actually has already helped me get back to "almost" like it never happened. I think you might be right about the corrupt Facebook file on the iPad. This is what I did.....(and I'm pretty jazzed about it to)...;)

So my iPhone 5s is working splendidly in spite of the iOS 7.2 update. At first it seemed to have a problem but it's actually perfect now. So I was thinking "Hmm...it's true that my computer thinks the backup I have is the old iPhone's from May....and I don't know what restoring from that would do....but I do have this new iPhone I can make sure backs up on my computer.....and it's in perfect running order"......so I read all the things I could about restoring your iPad from an iPhone backup and after much deliberating and working up the courage to just roll the dice and hit that all too famous "restore" button (which is sort of like a black abyss if you aren't completely sure how it all works)....I did it this morning! Oh but first, when I plugged the iPhone 5 in yesterday to back it up in iTunes, iTunes didn't recognize it automatically. It turned out my computer had some system thing that it was able to diagnose and fix and then iTunes worked seamlessly with the iPhone. So I backed it up both to the cloud, and to my computer and then this morning I decided to take the plunge and restore the iPad from that backup....and it was a little touch and go there in the beginning (wink) but the iPad made it through and "almost" everything is back to "good" again. Except for the Facebook App. So far, the apps that use it are all working fine, logging me in, etc......but when I went to see what the settings looked like they are just the same as they have been with the whole "geekynerdgirl cool is logged out, please enter your password to log in" thing.....Facebook works on the iPad independently of itself, but the settings thing is still messed up, which leads me to believe it must be a corrupt file. I've deleted and reinstalled that app a million times, using all kinds of different settings each time......I've tried every possilbe thing....it's just not going to bounce back. I had hoped with the restore from the backup that has a perfectly running facebook app that it would go away, and I thought it did when my apps immediately worked correctly but then the settings proved differently so.....I'm going to try one more thing......Well unless you recommend I don't...and that's to delete Facebook as entirely as I can from the iPad and then first try simply syncing it up with itunes on the notebook....if that doesn't work, then second to restore from the same backup I used this morning, but since it wont have Facebook on it, maybe the reinstallation from the backup restore will do the trick. If that doesn't work I don't have a plan C but I'm a true geekynerdgirl that hates when it's broken) but LOVES to learn how to fix it...;))

Thanks so much again,

Jul 7, 2014 11:41 AM in response to GeekyNerdGirl

GeekyNerdyGirl have you tried just typing your correct password and hitting enter! I think this spot is your settings where you set up your password ahead of time so when you click on the icon to Facebook it automatically signs you in? It's showing you already installed it so try that I am curious if that will work for you it's worth a shot!

My iPad is in what seems like permanent restore mode after iOS 7.2 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.