Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Holidays Calendar switched to Hong Kong!

Today I updated Mavericks to 10.9.4 and the Calendar application started showing the Honk Kong holidays calendar instead of the US holidays

Apparently there's no way to configure which calendar appears when selecting the "Show Holidays calendar" check box in Calendar's General Preferences...

My Mac Book Pro is correctly set ot the US locale and if I open Maps it gets the correct location (more than 10000 miles from Hong Kong...)

I seached through all the .plist files and Calendars data and nowhere found any reference to Hong Kong

Is there a way to configure the default holidays calendar? How Mavericks select the country?

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 6:26 PM

21 replies

Jul 1, 2014 8:19 PM in response to fabrica64

Another user reported they had a Mexico holiday calendar. First report I had seen but now you are reporting similar. I suspect some glitch in either OS X or in iCloud.

Delete the calendar and report it to Apple Feedback so it can be logged and put in the queue to be fixed.

Delete a calendar in browser:

1. Click Edit below the sidebar.

2. Click the Delete button to the right of the calendar’s name, then click Delete.

Delete calendar in Calendar

Control-Click (Right-click) on calendar and select delete.

Jul 2, 2014 3:37 AM in response to dianeoforegon

The holidays calendar that shows up when I click "Show Holidays calendar" is not on iCloud and appears only inside Calendar on my Mac. Inside browser I don't see any holiday calendars, while on my iPhone I see the correct US Holidays calendar.

When I access iCloud in the browser I also don't see any subscribed calendar I set up on the Mac that were correctly propagated to the iPhone.

I've tried to delete the Hong Kong calendar on my Mac but doing that simply deselect the "Show Holiday calendar" option and when I select it again HK calendar shows up again.

Jul 2, 2014 9:32 AM in response to fabrica64

In Calendar, choose Calendar > Preferences, then click General.

Select "Show Holidays calendar." The calendar shows the national holidays for your region.

To change your region, choose Apple menu > System Preferences > Language & Region, and choose a different region.

Then in Calendar, choose Calendar > Preferences, click General, then deselect and reselect "Show Holidays calendar."

Let me know if this helps

Jul 2, 2014 2:22 PM in response to dianeoforegon

First of all thanks for the help!

I did some more testing and I found the cause. In "System Preferences -> Language and Region" I have set US as the region but I changed the currency to Euro. If I put back US Dollar I see the correct US Holidays in the Calendar, but if I put any other currency I see the Hong Kong Holidays

It's only the currency that matters because changing the Measurements units to metric or selecting Monday as First day of week does not change the Holidays calendar

My solution was to subscribe to the US Holidays (https://p11-calendars.icloud.com/holidays/us_en.ics) in iCloud (File -> New Calendar Subscription) and disable the Show Holidays calendar check box

In the iPhone that's not happening because you can't select a different currency for each region

Jul 8, 2014 4:39 AM in response to romanserazhiev

You can disable a calendar on the iPhone/iPad, just tap on the mark on the left of the red dot left of "HK Holidays" (on the opposite side of the "i") and the calendar will no more appear on the main window. It's not like deleting but is has the same effect

You may then subscribe to NZ calendar, that's available at a URL like https://p11-calendars.icloud.com/holidays/us_en.ics (this URL is for the US holidays calendar), but subscriptions are only available on the Mac. Subscribing and deleting is not available on iOS and web iCloud, too difficult for Apple to port these functionalities 🙂

Holidays Calendar switched to Hong Kong!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.