Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot my safari password how can i get passed this

I forgot my safari password …how can i retrieve it or change it

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 12:37 PM

Safari in itself does not require a password. Perhaps you mean there's a website you visit using Safari you can't remember the password for?

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Passwords tab. Select the website you need the password for then select: Show passwords for selected websites at the bottom of that window.

If you don't see the password there, open Keychain Access located in your Applications > Utilities folder

Select Passwords on the left.

Type in the name of the website you can't remember the password for top right corner of the window then double click the keychain for that website then select the Attributes tab. Click: Show password. You may be prompted for your admin password to proceed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2014 12:37 PM in response to mjmjajk

Safari in itself does not require a password. Perhaps you mean there's a website you visit using Safari you can't remember the password for?

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Passwords tab. Select the website you need the password for then select: Show passwords for selected websites at the bottom of that window.

If you don't see the password there, open Keychain Access located in your Applications > Utilities folder

Select Passwords on the left.

Type in the name of the website you can't remember the password for top right corner of the window then double click the keychain for that website then select the Attributes tab. Click: Show password. You may be prompted for your admin password to proceed.

Jul 13, 2014 2:15 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

The Safari problem for me is:

1. I click on “Safari”
  2. I select “Preferences”
  3. Select “Passwords"
  4. Check “AutoFill usernames and passwords”
  5. Select a “website”
  6. Check “Show passwords for selected websites”
  7. Then a box pops up which says:“Safari is trying to show passwords. Type your password to allow this.”
  8. I type in the admin password I have had for over a year and receive a negative nod with the hint of the first two letters I just typed in.
  9. How do I get around this?

I forgot my safari password how can i get passed this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.