Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: safari can't establish a secure connection

my safari suddenly cannot open facebook but other like web works fine. But can open facebook with other browser like firefox. This problem came about 2 days ago. Can any one can solve this problem?

I am already do:

1. clear all cookies data and tun off extension

2. reset safari

3. turn off parental controls

4. delete com.apple.security.plist (nothing heppen so i put it back)

5. keychain and permision repair but there are no problem found

I am not using any proxy and I am not changing DNS,

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Jul 3, 2014 4:57 AM in response to Renaldy Thioris In response to Renaldy Thioris

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, check System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options

Jun 11, 2015 5:52 PM in response to seeburg220 In response to seeburg220

I've been having the same problem of not being able to connect to some websites (Google, Facebook, Apple, and a few others) while I could connect flawlessly to others... No matter what Browser I tried I would get the same results.. I scoured every forum that I could find (or connect to, really. lmao) but I could never find any solution. Any suggestions I read were useless or didn't pertain to the original problem.. But then I saw this, and checked my Avast settings to try to turn off the Web Shield. Sure enough, after closing out of all browsers, re-booting Safari, and testing out all sites I couldn't connect to.. They worked! all of them.

TL:DR; Check your Anti-virus setup for any sort of 'Web-Shielding' and try turning it off.

No guarantee, but post your results so we can all get an idea if this is truly a simple solution..

Jun 18, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Renaldy Thioris In response to Renaldy Thioris

Hello All,

I had the same issue. Chrome and Safari wouldn't open any https websites, error message : Safari can't establish a secure connection ...

I tried all solutions you can imagine , but no success.

and then ... I noticed my OS X time is not syncing with Apple too (time.apple.com) , so I put it on manual and changed the time to exact time manually

WOHOOO .. everything started to work , all security errors are gone, my anti-virus updated instantly without me touching it .

I am super happy 🙂

May 25, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Renaldy Thioris In response to Renaldy Thioris

I had the same problem both on Safari and Firefox. I disabled "Web Shield" in my Avast anti-virus program, and now it works fine.

What I don't understand is, why it started creating this problem all of a sudden ? I have had Avast installed for weeks and was able

to go to any website.

Jul 3, 2014 11:09 PM in response to Carolyn Samit In response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for reply

1. I am already remove all website data but doesn't work

2. I didn't find com.apple.Safari folder

3. Already try to turn of firewall and relaunch my safari but still same

any other suggestion? or there is any way to reinstall my safari?

anyway my safari is version 6.0 and OS X 10.8

Apr 7, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Renaldy Thioris In response to Renaldy Thioris

Safari can't Establish a secure connection😟

This might fix it.

I ended up installing fresh OS X.

Turns out it was my mac antivirus that was causing the "Safari can't Establish a secure connection". All website are working after i disable the Web Shield in my antivirus setting.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Jul 3, 2014 4:57 AM in response to Renaldy Thioris In response to Renaldy Thioris

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Then delete the cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, check System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options

Jul 3, 2014 4:57 AM

Reply Helpful (32)

Jul 3, 2014 11:09 PM in response to Carolyn Samit In response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for reply

1. I am already remove all website data but doesn't work

2. I didn't find com.apple.Safari folder

3. Already try to turn of firewall and relaunch my safari but still same

any other suggestion? or there is any way to reinstall my safari?

anyway my safari is version 6.0 and OS X 10.8

Jul 3, 2014 11:09 PM

Reply Helpful (10)

Apr 7, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Renaldy Thioris In response to Renaldy Thioris

Safari can't Establish a secure connection😟

This might fix it.

I ended up installing fresh OS X.

Turns out it was my mac antivirus that was causing the "Safari can't Establish a secure connection". All website are working after i disable the Web Shield in my antivirus setting.

Apr 7, 2015 10:11 AM

Reply Helpful (9)

May 25, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Renaldy Thioris In response to Renaldy Thioris

I had the same problem both on Safari and Firefox. I disabled "Web Shield" in my Avast anti-virus program, and now it works fine.

What I don't understand is, why it started creating this problem all of a sudden ? I have had Avast installed for weeks and was able

to go to any website.

May 25, 2015 5:05 AM

Reply Helpful (15)

Jun 11, 2015 5:52 PM in response to seeburg220 In response to seeburg220

I've been having the same problem of not being able to connect to some websites (Google, Facebook, Apple, and a few others) while I could connect flawlessly to others... No matter what Browser I tried I would get the same results.. I scoured every forum that I could find (or connect to, really. lmao) but I could never find any solution. Any suggestions I read were useless or didn't pertain to the original problem.. But then I saw this, and checked my Avast settings to try to turn off the Web Shield. Sure enough, after closing out of all browsers, re-booting Safari, and testing out all sites I couldn't connect to.. They worked! all of them.

TL:DR; Check your Anti-virus setup for any sort of 'Web-Shielding' and try turning it off.

No guarantee, but post your results so we can all get an idea if this is truly a simple solution..

Jun 11, 2015 5:52 PM

Reply Helpful (24)

Jun 12, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

That's what I'm noticing, unfortunately.. I've only just recently switch from Windows to Mac OS, and I never had problems on any of my previous computers with Avast. Do you have any recommendations for an anti-virus system that's good for Mac that I can use in place of Avast? I'd hate to run into this problem again lol

Jun 12, 2015 6:44 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 17, 2015 5:04 AM in response to Renaldy Thioris In response to Renaldy Thioris

I had the same problem last night on my daughter's Mac. Everything worked fine when I disabled web shield. Of course that cannot be the long term answer. I then decided to turn web shield back on and uncheck the IPv6 box on web shield and everything started working again. The website I was having a problem with was xfinity.com and I am on an xfinity network using their router. Maybe something has changed in how they doing IPv6?

Jun 17, 2015 5:04 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 18, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Renaldy Thioris In response to Renaldy Thioris

Hello All,

I had the same issue. Chrome and Safari wouldn't open any https websites, error message : Safari can't establish a secure connection ...

I tried all solutions you can imagine , but no success.

and then ... I noticed my OS X time is not syncing with Apple too (time.apple.com) , so I put it on manual and changed the time to exact time manually

WOHOOO .. everything started to work , all security errors are gone, my anti-virus updated instantly without me touching it .

I am super happy 🙂

Jun 18, 2015 1:24 PM

Reply Helpful (22)
User profile for user: Renaldy Thioris

Question: safari can't establish a secure connection