Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pismo new battery flashing light then dead (redirect)

Greetings.

The relatively new battery (after-market M7318) in my PB Pismo suddenly misbehaved and died. I say died, but I dont believe it!

... That was the first paragraph to a post made in the PowerBook | ASC almost a month ago. Needless to say, with the help of just one person, https://discussions.apple.com/profile/K%20Shaffer - who has been very insightful, alas, no joy yet.

I have learned a great deal over the past weeks, and have a theory, but I really am still too ignorant too be convinced of its validity.

I am pretty much at wit's end, so I would appreciate it if anyone here would take a few minutes and read over the sojourn here:

Pismo new battery flashing light then dead | Apple Support Communities

Thanx in advance

CCC

-- "Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to H*** and I will go to Texas."

- Congressman Davy Crockett of Tennessee

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 6:30 AM

7 replies

Jul 9, 2014 7:11 AM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

You may have a PRAM battery issue. That's separate from the main battery.

You may have a frayed power cord.

a brody,

Thanks for your attention. To get more attention, I had every intention of this (redirect) getting into the Notebooks | Powerbook | Power and Battery (subsection) - the best laid plans, I just screwed up - Can you get a Host to move it? If not moved then this (redirect) thread is pointless distraction.

K Shaffer suggested PRAM more than once in the main thread, in which I stated:

"PRAM battery = no ill effects regarding Pismo's operation, at all. Zapped the PRAM several times just for goof measure early on."

RE: "frayed power cord" = Nope, not a chance, I have a White, iBook AC power adapter - new 2 years ago & well cared for.

If you will notice in the 1st linked thread, XBattery is showing a "1st charging cycle - quick charge" anomaly. The 2nd charging cycle - trickle to 100%" seems to be normal - over and over and over (±2.4 hours) until today the battery is showing 72% charge.

Thanx again for your kind attention.

CCC

-- Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet, you can't win.

Jul 9, 2014 9:16 AM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

An iBook Power cord is not going to help you. You must have a Powerbook power cord that is 65W.

Numerous third party battery monitoring applications do not give accurate information.

a b......., mi amigo

I didn't anticipate this going down a rabbit trail. The APPLE power supply was tested and sold to me by an AASP over two years ago & performs perfectly in all respects.

ITE 4T18

POWER SUPPLY

E 131881

INPUT: AC 100-240V 50-60Hz

92-118VA

OUTPUT: 24.5V 1.875A

The Battery and the PMU are the issue as we have determined from the action plans elucidated in the other thread

XBattery seems accurate for what the OSX battery indicator & System Profile show. I am trusting that its data is accurate, having corresponded with the software author.

Not here to debate though. Read the other post and see what you think OR simply report this post to the Hosts for moving or removal

CCC

-- Arguments are debatable. - Lazarus Long

Jul 9, 2014 12:40 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

There remains a possibility the power outage may have surged and damaged

the DC-in Board, again; if not that, the logic board itself may have sustained a

hit and the damage would be more costly should that have occurred.

Sadly, the prime method of troubleshooting can often require replacement of

any suspect parts to remove their likely failure from the stream of possibility.

Also, your other thread has info about the Pismo charger; not likely an issue.

The original spec shows it to be 45W. Similar to an early dualUSB iBook G3

or other generic power adapter with similar plug. I have one with my 12" PB G4

with aluminum case that works fine; I should say, well enough to troubleshoot.

{The PowerBook I have, needs repair; it was given to me totally dead. I made it

charge/partial boot to find a logic board &/or hard drive may be at fault in this one.}

Good luck! 🙂

Jul 9, 2014 1:13 PM in response to K Shaffer

K Shaffer wrote:

There remains a possibility the power outage may have surged and damaged

the DC-in Board, again; if not that, the logic board itself may have sustained a

hit and the damage would be more costly should that have occurred.

Sadly, the prime method of troubleshooting can often require replacement of

any suspect parts to remove their likely failure from the stream of possibility.

Also, your other thread has info about the Pismo charger; not likely an issue.

===== SNIP =====

Good luck! 🙂

K

I am not gonna try replacement of various parts, as the charging issue is the only observable problem I have.

Plan o' Action -

1. patiently await a full-charge of battery at trickle pace (74% now).
  2. Reset battery - unplug AC and run it dry
  3. retry the charge

Needless to say, I am not hopeful, but ya never know

RE: this mis-placed (redirect) thread, if you can notify Host(s) at your Level, please have 'em move it or delete it (I can always repost more carefully next time)

Thanx for your help and well wishes

CCC

User uploaded file V User uploaded file hopefully

Jul 10, 2014 3:45 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

I have notified the moderators to attempt to move the post. The last forum design really just had it as a keyword section of the Powerbook forum, so it technically wouldn't be moved unless someone filtered by keyword within the Powerbook forum. Usually when you go into the Powerbook forum it shows all keywords at once. Not sure if it will help to tag the keyword since the Powerbook forum is not visited that often to begin with.

Pismo new battery flashing light then dead (redirect)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.