Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i be an apple developer under 18?

i am a 13 year old and i want to make xcode apps. but to do so i need to be an apple developer. is it ok for me to make an account at 13?

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2017 7:52 AM

If you are under 18, but at least 13, you are allowed to use an Apple developer account created by a parent or guardian, under their supervision. This is the relevant text from the Registered Apple Developer Agreement:

Notwithstanding the foregoing restrictions in this Section 1, if you are the parent or legal guardian of individuals between the ages of 13 and the legal age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you reside, you may allow such individuals to share your Apple ID and password for their use solely under your supervision and only in accordance with this Agreement. You are responsible for such individualsā€™ compliance with and violations of this Agreement and any other Apple agreements.

https://developer.apple.com/programs/terms/registered_apple_developer_20100301.p df

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2017 7:52 AM in response to kbilsoy

If you are under 18, but at least 13, you are allowed to use an Apple developer account created by a parent or guardian, under their supervision. This is the relevant text from the Registered Apple Developer Agreement:

Notwithstanding the foregoing restrictions in this Section 1, if you are the parent or legal guardian of individuals between the ages of 13 and the legal age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you reside, you may allow such individuals to share your Apple ID and password for their use solely under your supervision and only in accordance with this Agreement. You are responsible for such individualsā€™ compliance with and violations of this Agreement and any other Apple agreements.

https://developer.apple.com/programs/terms/registered_apple_developer_20100301.p df

Nov 11, 2017 4:56 PM in response to kbilsoy

Thereā€™s no real laws in the us that you canā€™t have developer account under 18, just go to the Apple developer sign up page to create one and sign up for an Apple developer . You canā€™t upload apps to the AppStore without the ā€œApple developer programā€ $99 though, but u can still make an app in Xcode on a Mac. And still have developer account. Iā€™m an Apple developer under 18, Iā€™m fourteen actually. Go ahead and make an account and signup for everything they ask for after wards accept Apple developer program which isnā€™t apple developer itā€™s like a vip Apple developer. So you can get special public betas and special new programs and gizmos for free which I have to admit is pretty sweet. Your welcome for putting in all this freakn effort to tell you this.

Jul 9, 2014 1:40 PM in response to msuper69

Michael Superczynski wrote:

But you must be of legal age to start a corporation, company, etc.

You can't 'get around' the legal age requirement.

Director information

The following are Delawareā€™s requirements for directors of corporations:

• Minimum number. Corporations must have one or more directors.
  • Residence requirements. Delaware does not have a provision specifying where directors must reside.
  • Age requirements. Delaware does not have age requirements.
  • Inclusion in the Certificate of Incorporation. Director names and addresses are not required to be listed in the Certificate of Incorporation.

http://www.bizfilings.com/delaware/incorporation.aspx?vendorid=TDC/learning_cent er.aspx

Jul 9, 2014 8:45 PM in response to red_menace

KBilsoy works for company XYZ as a Director of Software Development which has a contract with Apple. Does that preclude him from software development at the age of 9.

Here is another example - http://www.cultofmac.com/184957/this-13-year-old-app-developer-puts-us-all-to-sh ame/

"Last year, Nicholas G. was 12-years-old. He convinced his dad to get him a developer account from Apple, and began to learn how to program apps. "

Jul 9, 2014 9:24 PM in response to Loner T

You are missing the point here. It doesn't matter if company XYZ has a contract with Apple, it has to do with the fact that minors cannot enter into legally binding agreements. This would include a developer agreement with Apple, and other points you seem to be stuck on, such as creating a company or corporation.

And yes, a parent or guardian can create a developer account (since they are competent to enter into the agreement) and share it with with a minor - the account would be in the name of the parent or guardian, and they would be the responsible party.

Jul 10, 2014 4:31 AM in response to red_menace

red_menace wrote:

And yes, a parent or guardian can create a developer account (since they are competent to enter into the agreement) and share it with with a minor - the account would be in the name of the parent or guardian, and they would be the responsible party.

Understand, but being over a specific physical 'age' is not a guarantee of competency, is it? (but i think this digresses from the original topic). Kappy and I both provided the 'physical-adult-age-as-a-guardian' work around for this, as you indicate as well. šŸ˜Ž.

A corporation has no notion of age, and hence is outside the scope as well. It may employ anyone it sees fit, as long as it complies with local Labour laws.

can i be an apple developer under 18?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.