Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems after iOS 7.1.2 on Ipod Touch 5th Gen

At about 3 hours ago my Ipod Touch 5th Gen turned off on me. It came back on itself, so I accessed the lock screen correctly put my password in and thats where my problems started.

I put in the correct password it accepted it.

The screen then changed to my background screen colour.

Very quickly the screen went black and the apple logo came on (as if it was turning on)

I repeated the process again and I can not access my home screen or any of the apps. It repeats itself.

I've had all my apps crash on me ever since I downloaded the iOS 7.1.2 update.

On the lock screen I can still access the flash light and both cameras?

What I have tried:

Turning it on and off.

Charging it.

Plugging it into iTunes.

Reset where I hold the lock and home button.

Nothing works.

Its a 32gb Ipod touch 5th gen with about 6gb of storaged unused.

I haven't dropped it or done anything unusual.

At the time it crashed I was playing on Farmville 2 app. This app crashes alot could it have something to do with it?

Please someone help me, I've googled it and can't find any problem like mine on here! 😟

I've only had it 7 months.

Thanks,

Nadia

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:28 PM

15 replies

Jul 9, 2014 2:38 PM in response to NadiaFromWales

If the reboot didn't help, then I would restore it. But just to be sure is this what you did:

Rebooting your iDevice

Hold down the Sleep (On-Off) and Home buttons together for about 10-15 seconds or until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears - then let go of the buttons. The iPad should begin to start up.

To force a restore tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings.

Be sure you backup first using iTunes rather than iCloud. Open iTunes with your phone connected to the computer. Select your phone in the iTunes sidebar. Click the radio button for backing up to the computer, then click on the Backup Now button. Then start the restore process.

Jul 9, 2014 2:44 PM in response to NadiaFromWales

Try:

- iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.

- Try another cable

- Try on another computer

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Jul 9, 2014 2:58 PM in response to NadiaFromWales

Then do this:

Placing your device into recovery (DFU-Device Firmware Upgrade) mode:

Follow these steps to place your iOS device into recovery mode. If your iOS device is already in recovery mode, you can proceed immediately to step 6.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, but leave the

other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds

until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

* If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the

Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off,

release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.

3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the

device. The device should turn on. Note: If you see the battery charge warning,

let the device charge for at least ten minutes to ensure that the battery has some

charge, and then start with step 2 again.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

When this screen appears you can release the Home button:

5. If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the following "recovery mode" alert:

6. Use iTunes to restore the device.

If you don't see the "Connect to iTunes" screen, try these steps again. If you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen but the device does not appear in iTunes, see this article and its related links.

Additional Information:

If you have a problem getting into recovery mode then try: RecBoot: Easy Way to Put iPhone into Recovery Mode.

Note: When using recovery mode, you can only restore the device. All user content on the device will be erased, but if you had previously synced with iTunes on this computer, you can restore from a previous backup. See this article for more information.

Jul 10, 2014 6:32 PM in response to NadiaFromWales

I too have this same issue. I have a ipod touch 5th generation, 32gb, purchased August 2013. Never dropped it, was put in a case since day 1, and has protective screen. Never had water damage and never jail-broken. Up until this past weekend, it was working perfectly fine, until I updated to the 7.1.2 ios update. Now my ipod touch randomly turns off on me, or restarts/reboots. Sometimes it wont boot past the apple logo, other times it completely shuts off. When booting up, sometimes the apple logo turns into a fadish green color then the whole ipod shuts off again. Other times the apple logo wont show up at all (as if the whole ipod is nto responding). I have to try several attempts for it to boot normally...

I tried soft resets (holding the power button and home button at same time). I tried system restore using itunes for a fresh factory reset, and even then it did not solve this issue.

Already opened a case through online chat with apple support, even made appointment with genius bar at local apple store and a tech checked it out....she said its either hardware or software issue...but.they will order a replacement ipod for me...got barely 1 month left for my 1 year limited warranty. I seriously think this is a software issue with the ios 7.1.2 update. But ill take the replacement when they have it in stock....maybe it will have an older ios on it stil and i wont update to the 7.1.2.

So anyone else have this issue.....?

Jul 16, 2014 5:36 PM in response to NadiaFromWales

i have the same problem but i cant use the power button because it got smushed in and i cant use it

Ipod specs: 5th gen.

32 GB

bought august 2013

I was on instagram and the app froze so i held the home button a little and the my screen went black i let go held it again came back on then disappeared now it wont even come on i also bought it at a target store because their is no apple store around

Jul 17, 2014 1:55 AM in response to rogerdoger905

Place the iPod in recovery mode using one of these programs:

For PC

RecBoot: Easy Way to Put iPhone into Recovery Mode

or

http://joshuabailey1997.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/recboot-v1-3/

If necessary:

Download QTMLClient.dll & iTunesMobileDevice.dll for RecBoot

and

RecBoot tip

RecBoot may have problems on 64X windows, then try:

Tenorshare ReiBoot – Enter & Exit iPhone, iPad, iPod Recovery Mode with a Single Click

For MAC or PC

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

Installs blootware on PC too

rogerdoger905 wrote:

i have the same problem but i cant use the power button because it got smushed in and i cant use it

Ipod specs: 5th gen.

32 GB

bought august 2013

I was on instagram and the app froze so i held the home button a little and the my screen went black i let go held it again came back on then disappeared now it wont even come on i also bought it at a target store because their is no apple store around

Problems after iOS 7.1.2 on Ipod Touch 5th Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.