Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make slide show out of photos

I have about 60 .jpg's I like to make into a slide presentation. What I would like to be able to do is give a friend/relative a disk and all they would have to do it....well, nothing. I'd like it to open on my image number 1. I would like the image to stay on the screen until it's manually advanced by "clicking" on it or on and "advance" button. It seems like it should probably be easy, but I can't figure it out. I'm not adverse to using third party software. I want the images to be as clear as possible. Am using OS X Maverick with 32 GB of ram.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 10, 2014 5:47 PM

4 replies

Jul 11, 2014 12:04 AM in response to 7260bp44

Hi

There are many ways to "Rome".

Obvious one is to use iDVD SlideShow function and to this use the function to add photos into an extra folder in full quality.

Cons: - there is two quality limits - DVD Standard (can only be Interlaced SD-Video Quality whatever program used) and iDVD slightly less quality and 99 photos per show limit and only one audio track (if multi is needed they need to be assembled into one track first)

Pro: Ease to use.

Alt - I use

- FinalCut - 100% freedom and Quality as I want it to be

- FotoMagico™ (incl in Roxio Toast™ bundle) - Very high quality on the SlideShow - can via Roxio Toast even prepare for Blu-Ray and short ones (20-30 minutes) can be burned to DVD TO BE PLAYED on A BLU-RAY disk player (not on standard DVD-player) - to full HD-Quality

Yours Bengt W

Jul 11, 2014 9:15 AM in response to 7260bp44

I'd like it to open on my image number 1. I would like the image to stay on the screen until it's manually advanced by "clicking" on it or on and "advance" button.

From my understanding of what you want the only route is to create a slideshow from stills with iDVD or some other video DVD authoring program that allows manual advance or going backward of the slides.

The 99 slide limit of iDVD would not affect you as you only have about 60 slides you want to use.

Any process that involves a movie file from stills requires the user to use the pause button each time the next slide appears and then click on Play when moving to the next slide. Not what you're looking for. Also going backward is awkward as you have to "rewind" the movie to the previous slide.

Using iDVD to create the slideshow one would prepare the slideshow by cropping them to the 4:3 iDVD size ratio first. This can be done in iPhoto. Put the slides in an iPhoto album, crop, retitle as required. Then open iDVD, create a project, select a theme and start a slideshow with the "+" button at the bottom. In the slideshow mode in iDVD click on Media/Photos, go to the album in iPhoto and add the prepared image files to the slideshow. Select Manual for slides duration and complete the design of the video DVD.

As Bengt mentioned there are other video DVD authoring apps available but I've not used them. I don't know how they create manually advanced slideshows or even if they can create them.

If you do go the iDVD route follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

User uploaded file

Jul 11, 2014 11:57 AM in response to 7260bp44

There are many ways to produce slide shows using iPhoto (see this: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2423 ), iMovie or iDVD and some limit the number of photos you can use (iDVD has a 99 chapter (slide) limitation).

If what you want is what I want, namely to be able to use high resolution photos (even 300 dpi tiff files), to pan and zoom individual photos, use a variety of transitions, to add and edit music or commentary, place text exactly where you want it, and to end up with a DVD that looks good on both your Mac and a TV - in other words end up with and end result that does not look like an old fashioned slide show from a projector - you may be interested in how I do it. You don't have to do it my way, but the following may be food for thought!

Firstly you need proper software to assemble the photos, decide on the duration of each, the transitions you want to use, and how to pan and zoom individual photos where required, and add proper titles. For this I use Photo to Movie. You can read about what it can do on their website:

http://www.lqgraphics.com/software/phototomovie.php

(Other users here use the alternative FotoMagico: http://www.boinx.com/fotomagico/homevspro/ which you may prefer - I have no experience with it.)

Neither of these are freeware, but are worth the investment if you are going to do a lot of slide shows. Read about them in detail, then decide which one you feel is best suited to your needs.

Once you have timed and arranged and manipulated the photos to your liking in Photo to Movie, it exports the file to iMovie as a DV stream. You can add music in Photo to Movie, but I prefer doing this in iMovie where it is easier to edit. You can now further edit the slide show in iMovie just as you would a movie, including adding other video clips, then send it to iDVD 7, or Toast, for burning.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how professional the results can be!

To simply create a slide show in iDVD 7 onwards from images in iPhoto or stored in other places on your hard disk or a connected server, look here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1089

Preparing images for iDVD slideshows:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5452

How to make slide show out of photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.