Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipod touch 5th gen battery life drains fast

Well, I've looked through loads of answered questions related to mine, all having a similar problem, however none have worked. Lately I've been noticing my ipod touch 5th gen battery running slow pretty fast. I kind of tested it today, with a couple hour charge - lead to roughly a 3 hour battery life. I've heard that the battery life should last at least 6 hours, am I correct? So I don't understand what the problem is here, and how to fix it.

I got my ipod touch in January roughly thinking. 32GB. Brightness it below the half way point. I do not send nor receive emails. I switch off the apps regularly. So yeh.

Any help would be amazing 🙂

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 12:44 PM

The simple answer is: The more you charge it, the less you get to use it.

If you charge your iPod very frequently, that severely reduces the battery life of the device. There is no solution to that, except if you're willing to go to the Genius Bar and get the battery replaced, which might be costly.

-Rj

24 replies

Jul 11, 2014 7:55 PM in response to _FoxHound_

Hey FoxHound, The iPod uses a Li-ion battery, the good news, no battery memory, the bad news, when they go they go! Apple states you should get approximately 400 charging cycles before needing to replace the battery (I figure for me, at my current use / charge rates battery should last about 2 to maybe and I think that will be a stretch... 3 years), that doesn't mean it can't fail. Have you tried letting your iPod completely drain then charge it for at least 4 to 6 hours? A reset may help, may do nothing-- but it will not hurt either. This may help also, check out the information Apple has on conserving battery life and try goggling Cnet about extending battery life, may help. I use some of the tips, for a bench mark, this is some use times I get with my 64G iPod 5 after a full 4 to 6 hour charge. I don't know that is typical, but here you go, (times given are averages). Standby 36 - 40 hours. Listening to music from my personal library easily 22 hours, medium volume with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turn off and using 128kbps bit rate. watching a video or browsing the web 4 to 6 hours depending on if in HD and Wi-Fi signal strength, a weak signal will drain the battery quickly. Gaming really drains the battery fast 3 to 4 hours tops! If you feel your battery life is too short contact your Apple store or the Apple Genius Bar, set up an appointment and have your battery tested / evaluated. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Jul 12, 2014 6:54 AM in response to JEM24

That must be it! I play games on my ipod touch 90% of the time, and the signal is pretty weak, and you said those are 2 signs as to why my ipod battery drains quickly. So I guess I don't have to worry to much, right? I fully charged it over night last night, tested it this morning and I've kept it on playing a game since I took it off charge, I got the 20% sign after roughly 2 hours 40 minutes is that good? Also, with the video playback thing - Do you mean using the actual video built in app? Or like youtube videos?

I really hope you reply as I think we're getting somewhere here! Thanks man!

Jul 12, 2014 7:10 AM in response to _FoxHound_

Hey FoxHound, Yes to questions! "Unfortunately" it sounds like normal battery drain or at least what I have experienced. As for the video question, if the source for the video is on your iPod something around 6 hours+/-, if it's off the net, something requiring you to use Wi-Fi then shorter time something around 4 hours+/-. Have the video in HD will look better but it drains the battery faster because your iPod has to process more information. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Jul 12, 2014 10:20 AM in response to _FoxHound_

Hey FoxHound, Not sure I'm completely understanding you. But to prevent battery wear, don't use you iPod 😝! OK, seriously-- Allow the battery to completely drain from time to time. Fully charge it at least once per month. Follow some tips to conserve battery life like those found on Apple's site and those on Cnet. That's about it. when you start to notice the battery life is getting very short, that it takes forever to charge or that the battery is getting very hot, these are all signs it time for a new battery. Note it is normal for the battery to get warm during use and charging, but not so hot you can not handle your iPod. I think this is what your asking, Hope this helps. Cheers.

my ipod touch 5th gen battery life drains fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.