Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

alternatives to iTunes on Mac?

So now when Apple totally downgraded iTunes 11 to become cumbersome and pointless as a music listening application and even for shopping at iTMS (they seel too many tracks or what?) by removing fully working very usable features like:

• proper search
  • proper cover handling with multiple images (that you also typically get with Digital purchases)
  • Lack of duplicate listing feature
  • removal of next/previous buttons when in album mode info window

just to name a few* dumb moves, what usable alternatives are there out there that are:

1. compatible with the iTunes library format**
  2. have the obvious features missing in iTunes present and implemented well
  3. are sane in an Apple-like way and user-friendly, now when Apple isn't, before having "features" that are really not that important

?

What suggestions for an improved user music experience do you have to share with us all?

For me Mavericks 10.9.x is the environment.

*I've been a user since it was called "Soundjam" so have seen them come since 15 years

** I still want to use iTunes for Wifi syncing and iTunes match

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 9:14 AM

40 replies

Jul 13, 2014 3:41 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807 wrote:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/38791/swinsian My first choice.

Thank you for that suggestion (Swinsian). It looks very promising. Vox seem to have gone the drain so skipping that and the other media players are not really complementing iTunes very well.

Swinsian is now on my drive. I'll let you now if I bought it ($19.95 seems very reasonable).

Sep 17, 2014 6:16 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I've since bought Swinsian for $19.95 and I'm a satisfied customer. While it isn't perfect it's superior to iTunes for music consumption as well as library handling. I have a large library also with lossless files in various formats, both originating from my CD and Vinyl collections as well newly bought stuff, usually from outside of iTMS. My older library is on a separate disc and despite a 1TB drive I have yet to find space for it.

Swinsian allows me to mount the external drive, which I do via Newtech Voyager Q (Firewire), and I can use the external library side by side with my internal library. This is big! I still use iTunes for syncing to my devices (Swinsian only handle older devices, which is a feature if you have those) and so I add all new files to iTunes automatically with the help of Hazel (great app) and when I open Swinsian it reads both library files of iTunes so my library is in sync.

The only sad side is that because Apple doesn't open for easy input back, except for via tags, ratings I make in Swinsian doesn't make it back to iTunes. I'm contemplating an applescript for that. I'm also looking at translating my fav applescripts for tag handling, but I could of course use iTunes when I want to use those.

I feel now nothing is between me and music, just as iTunes supplied before version 11, and I'm a big fan of Swinsian. Check it out if you want something more than iTunes.

Oct 24, 2014 1:21 AM in response to Aquilae75

Aquilae75 wrote:

The inability to manually delete tracks from playlists

The inability to delete all references to previously played podcasts, although the physical file may be deleted, it still appears in the list.

You don't say what version of iTunes this is, but this hardly normal behavior. I don't see it in iTunes 11.4.

Oct 24, 2014 1:33 AM in response to Aquilae75

Aquilae75 wrote:

can you easily create playlists and manually add and delete music or podcast tracks from those playlists?

You can of course create, edit and delete playlists in Swinsian, though I only do podcasts in IOS-devices and never sync these. Furthermore the function to read not only iTunes playlists from the iTunes Libraries used — which is currently possible — but also smart playlists as new smart playlists in Swinsian is under development. Currently smart playlists are converted to regular ones, which is hardly desirable if you must keep using iTunes for syncing.

Oct 24, 2014 3:35 AM in response to Mik B

Mik B wrote:

Check it out if you want something more than iTunes.

mmwwaah, ..prepare for missing a lot of features you have in iTunes. It's good to have support for so many formats. I like the way tagging is shown and easy to edit, but I don't like the interface (a bit out of date), you can't rip CD's, no album-artist-composer-genre view, no iTunes Match, no converter, no audiophile player (I use AudirvanaPlus combined with iTunes), music-video's are audio only.

alternatives to iTunes on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.