Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac cannot locate wireless printer

Mac: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Version: 10.9.4

Printer: HP Photosmart 7520

Wireless printer was working fine yesterday. Today it will not print and says it cannot locate printer.

Restarted computer and printer, but nothing.

I could still see my printer in the Printers & Scanners section at this time. However, I reset my printing system, which deleted the printer. When I went to add the printer again, it could not be identified on the network.

I then checked my printer and computer network settings. They are on the same network, but the printer does not come up in the "Default" selection area. When I try to enter the printer's IP address manually, that does not work either.

I feel like I've exhausted all my knowledge, so any input on making these two machines communicate again would be great.

Thanks,

Marty

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 5:43 PM

I had the same thing...the Mac kept looking for an old IP address for the HP wireless printer ( I have installed a new router and the IP for the printer had changed).

I tried many ways to connect ( it worked fine in Windows!!!!!!) and finally installed the printer again as a new printer, using the new IP address rather than printer name. Now it works. Very strange. I had to rename the printer from the IP address to something more suitable after connection.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 5:43 PM in response to dawgpaw

I had the same thing...the Mac kept looking for an old IP address for the HP wireless printer ( I have installed a new router and the IP for the printer had changed).

I tried many ways to connect ( it worked fine in Windows!!!!!!) and finally installed the printer again as a new printer, using the new IP address rather than printer name. Now it works. Very strange. I had to rename the printer from the IP address to something more suitable after connection.

Jan 31, 2017 8:30 AM in response to LmcdK94qr

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is a couple of years old, less people are likely to look at it. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one.

Network Printer Troubleshooting

Ping printer: If you have the printers IP address open Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and at the prompt type: ping {printerIP}. You will get a reply or failure.

If you haven't done so already, try resetting the printing system.

OS X Mavericks: Reset the printing system
also Yosemite

Troubleshoot Printing Issues

WiFi Printer to WiFi Network - Connect

Jan 5, 2017 8:23 PM in response to dawgpaw

I am having this issue as well, and the provided answer did not work.

Both of my roommates can print, access the IP address, and use the printer as normal, but my Macbook responds with 'cannot connect' no matter which method I use. I cannot even access the printer's IP through a web browser (my roommates can). I have restarted the computer, repaired disk permissions, and attempted to reset printing system as described in the given solution, and still have nothing to show for it. I'm stuck forwarding PDFs of all my files to my roommates every time I need to print something.

Jun 19, 2017 12:11 PM in response to Ozcanuck

This strategy worked for me - I now am able to print again on my Photosmart B210 (it's my secondary printer) on my iMac. Still isn't being found by iPhone or iPad, however (the default printer is - which is fine). I assume this will continue working until for some reason the IP address gets changed but for now it's working.

Dec 20, 2017 2:40 AM in response to Rachel J A

My problem is with a HP Officejet 8620. Worked fine until new High Sierra update 10.13.2. The printer showed in Preferences as being present on the wifi but idle and not discoverable via the HP software. The printer itself was properly connected to the wireless network and would print fine wirelessly from other devices.

I reset the the printing system as suggested and searched for and the printer again. Found it and reinstalled and it looked like that was going to work for about 2 mins. Then the printer went from green to idle and non accessible again.

I then followed the advice of others and installed it using the printers IP address.

It now works again albeit the "scan to computer" function will not work from the printer. Still better than no printer at all!

Hope this helps others and thanks to the posters here

Jul 18, 2014 1:38 AM in response to dawgpaw

I have the same problem with HP Photosmart 7510. It worked fine until OS X 10.9.4 update. Now OS X can see the printer connected by wi-fi OR by USB, but cannot communicate to it. I tried everything - deinstallation of all HP drivers, repairing permissions, resetting print system, rebootin gcomputer, router and priner - nothing works. From another mac with OS X 10.8 everything works fine.

Jul 18, 2014 7:15 AM in response to dawgpaw

I have tried every type of reset I can think of at this point.

The printer is working because it works with my home computer. However, my home printer was not picked up by the troubled computer, as well.

Deleted and reinstalled the printer software, as suggested by HP. Nothing.

Tried to rename everything and find the printer through the IP address. Nothing.

I am connected through USB, which isn't a problem, but I am only worried that the poor communication is indicative of a larger problem that will come back to bite me if I don't fix it now.

I will continue to troubleshoot and update this post if I find anything.

Your assistance so far is greatly appreciated.

Dec 30, 2014 12:25 PM in response to dawgpaw

I am having all the same problems as you. My Canon MX410 connected wirelessly worked fine yesterday and doesn't today. Message says printer is not connected. Have tried all the things you did to no avail. Deleted printer to try and re-add and now the add printer dialog box is empty. Running OS Yosemite 10.10.1 on MacBook Pro. My wife has the same computer running OS-X 10.6.8 and can print just fine from the same printer. Problem seems to be with my Mac recognizing the printer. The only thing I have different than my wife's computer is the newer OS and I am running Windows 7 via Parallels. Strange that one day it works and the next it doesn't when I made no changes to the system. Did you ever find a solution to your problem? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Mac cannot locate wireless printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.