Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Asus PB287Q won't work with some Mac Pros @ 60hz

FYI: If you're thinking of buying an Asus PB287Q for your Mac Pro and you have the D700 graphics cards (the upper end ones) please be aware that the monitor has complete distortion on the far right side when running on Display Port 1,2 at 60hz. The problem, and work around, is similar to that for the Samsung 4K monitor (they're basically the same) noted here: Mac Pro Late 2013 and Samsung 4k monitor problem

I have successfully worked around this by using SwitchResX and lowering the refresh rate to 49hz. This does result in significant ghosting when scrolling. I hope Apple will come out with a fix for this.

Note: the same monitor, same cable works beautifully on my Retina Macbook Pro. It is stunning. Too bad the same can't be said of my $6,700 Mac Pro !!!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 6-core, D700 Graphics cards

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 6:18 AM

Might it be due the fact that it is using a newer Thunderbolt standard? Wonder if you changed the cables to one more aware of that newer standard if it would make a difference.

13 replies

Aug 25, 2014 3:52 PM in response to thanxal

I have been playing around with the Asus PB287Q as well and like the monitor very much. (Here is my related post: max 3200x1800 resolution on 4k monitor??)

I actually only recently got it to work at 30Hz by using a mini DP to HDMI cable. When using the mini DP to DP 1.2 cable, I had to run the monitor at 60Hz to get max resolution, but with tearing on the right hand side.

30Hz works for most of what I am doing (e.g. photos, coding, spreadsheets, web design, etc.) but can see that for gaming, 60Hz is nicer.

Just on a side note, I connected the display with both cables. The Mac then thinks, that it has two 4k displays connected. If I switch the DP connection to 1.2 I get a refresh rate not of 60Hz, but only of about 47Hz.

My $0.02

LL

Aug 28, 2014 9:20 PM in response to thanxal

There is an easy fix. I am running a Mac Pro Early 2008 with an HD 7950 graphics card into a Samsung U28D590 UHD monitor. I was frustrated with the tearing on the RHS. The first clue was that when I switched to display port 1.1 standard in the monitor menu, the problem disappeared but the maximum resolution went to 2560 x 1440. I then purchased the shareware preference pane SwitchresX and created new EDID resolutions for the ones that I wanted but at 50 Hz instead of the 60Hz standard ones (that also switches from NTSC to PAL standards btw). I also purchased a minidisplayport to Display port cable that was Display port 1.2 compliant (amazon) and everything is fixed. I understand that the problem is fixed in current beta versions of OS X 10,10 Yosemite so hopefully that will be a standard fix. Maybe 10.9.5 or future Mavericks updates may also fix the problem. What I can say is that a combination of SwitchresX and a 1.2 compliant cable is "the real oil"

Dec 28, 2014 10:43 AM in response to thanxal

Looks great! Just got my new Mac Pro (late 2013) with D500 graphics card. Wanted an affordable 4k monitor, so bought the ASUS PB287Q after following this thread. Just had to change the DisplayPort setting in the monitor to get 60Hz.

However, I am having reported issues with monitor not reliably waking up from sleep. As a workaround, changed my screen saver to black and just make a point of turning off the monitor when not at the system.

It's a minor inconvenience given the overall value of having an inexpensive 4k monitor on my Mac Pro.

Dec 20, 2015 8:25 AM in response to dogcow750

For those that are searching, I'd like to keep this thread updated.

I also have a new MP, D700 machine that I picked up, along with an Asus PB287Q. From when I purchased them both around Feb 2015, I've had problems with the monitor waking up from sleep when using a DP 1.2 to Thunderbolt. I've also replaced the cable, without resolving the issue. HDMI works fine, but as a videographer, I need 60htz. I cannot get the problem to happen reliably, and am clueless as to what is causing this. The Asus is my only monitor, but I'm strongly considering selling it, or using it as a second monitor for my laptop.

Asus PB287Q won't work with some Mac Pros @ 60hz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.