Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an update for my safari 5.1.10 browser

I am being told by websites that my browser old and that I need an update or a new browser. Is this available?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 2:46 PM

Is there an update for safari browser 5.1.10 ?

13 replies

Nov 4, 2015 5:08 AM in response to Niel

Niel,

thanks for your help in advance. I am not very knowledgable about computers so please don't be offended by my simple questions or knowledge of system. I am having same problem where I am getting messages that my browser needs to be updated. I am running on OS 10.6.8. I checked for updates and it says that everything is updated. Is the OS 10.6 what is being called snow leopard? The browser is updated with the OS update correct? I think that the browser is either Safari 5.1.5 or Safari 5.1.10. I see both numbers listed under software applications. So from reading other post does this mean that OS 10.6 does not or can not be updated to a newer browser? Does that mean that the OS has to be updated to be able to support newer version browser that is being required? What is the easiest way to update OS? Is the other option to keep the existing OS 10.6.8 and use another browser? If I update to latest version of OS does it function that same as what is running now? Is there a cost to update to latest OS?

Nov 4, 2015 5:47 AM in response to GLS0628

GLS0628, your options are to install a different browser, as dianeoforegon above has suggested (an dianeoforegon provided links).

Or you can install a newer version of Mac OS X (not a simple update, but rather a major upgrade).

Installing a new browser is less work, and it is something you could use for say just the sites that do not like your current version of Safari, and then continue to use Safari for stuff that does not complain.

The complication with a Mac OS X upgrade is that what you can upgrade to depends on what Mac you have. If your hardware is too old, then you might ONLY be able to upgrade to Lion 10.7, which requires you buy a "Redemption" code from the Apple Store web site (US $20). The code gets mailed to you, and then you can take the code to the App Store application to redeem the code and download Lion.

If your system is new enough, then it can install Mountain Lion 10.8 (similar $20 redemption code trick as Lion), or you can install the current El Capitan 10.11 release (a big jump), but it is "Free".

In all cases when making a major operating system upgrade, you should have good backups (I prefer having 2 via different backup utilities), so that if something goes wrong ("Murphy's Law" is always waiting to catch the unprepared), and if you really do not like the upgrade, you can restore from the backup to at least where you were before you started.

Nov 4, 2015 9:49 AM in response to GLS0628

Adding my two cents...

Your Apple apps cannot be upgraded past the version of OS X you are running. Your Safari app is tied to Snow Leopard 10.6.8. You cannot upgrade it to a newer Safari without also upgrading OS X. You can upgrade Chrome and Firefox to the newest version.

Examples of other Apple apps that are tied to the OS other than Safari: Mail, Address Book, iCal, Notes, Preview, TextEdit

Hope this helps!

Is there an update for my safari 5.1.10 browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.