Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic X - Independent MIDI tracks for the same AU plugin

Hi there,

I'm struggling a bit with creating several MIDI tracks that all trigger and share the same AU instance. I know about the multitimbral option but I need the MIDI tracks to be completely independent, ie. volume, pan, inserts etc must be able to be independently assigned. Furthermore all these MIDI tracks have to be on the same MIDI channel.

What I'm looking for is to recreate for Battery the default MIDI setup for a standard Logic Ultrabeat set, e.g. Boutique 909. When I first fired it up I was pleasantly surprised to have it laid out nicely with a main track and 8 individual MIDI "subtracks", one for kick, SD, hats etc. Very cool feature but how do I translate this to Battery? I can't simply switch to Battery on the main track.

Condensing the question, how can I trigger one monotimbral AU instance with several independent MIDI tracks?

Cheers for any hint.

Logic Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 12:38 AM

19 replies

Jul 24, 2014 11:35 AM in response to R2B

First, you have to wrap your head around the underlying architecture in Logic, especially the relationship (difference) between a 1-Component, 2-Environment Object (aka Channel Strip) and the 3-Track. I explain that in great detail with lots of graphics and analogies in my graphically enhanced manual "Logic Pro X - How it Works". Once you understand that open object based concept, then it becomes very powerful regarding how you configure your setup.

Here is a quick answer:

• A Track (3) is an independent Object that lets you record your music on (MIDI or audio). Think of it as a time-based data storage. You data is stored in Regions which are placed in the Track Lane along the Timeline.
  • In order to play back that data (music), you have to assign it to a Channel Strip (2) which is technically an Environment Object that itself is assigned to one of the available Components (1) , i.e an Audio Channel Strip, Instrument Channel Strip, Aux Channel Strip, etc.
  • You can assign a Track to any Channel Strip (that Environment Object has to be create first, but Logic creates it automatically)
  • You can assign multiple Tracks to the same Channel Strip, i.e. the same Software Instrument Channel Strip. All the Regions on all those Tracks will be played through that Channel Strip (with the loaded Instrument and plugins on that Channel Strip)
  • In the Track Inspector you can see to what Component (i.e. Inst 1, Inst 2, Inst 3) the assigned Channel Strip is using.
  • That Track Inspector also lets you choose that specific MIDI Channel for the selected Channel Strip. If you choose a specific channel Strip (other than "All") then that MIDI channel is displayed in brackets next to the Track Name in the Track Header.

It is a little bit confusing at first, but always keep on min the order

• A Component (1) is assigned to an Environment Object (2), that's your Channel Strip
  • The Channel Strip (2) is assigned to a Track ((3)

Here is a screenshot with four Tracks assigned to the same Channel Strip Strip.

User uploaded file

If you want to use mulit-timbral Software Instruments, then the setup is different and you have can use Aux channels or Track Stacks.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 25, 2014 10:47 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Cheers for your reply Edgar. Much appreciated.

My issue is more MIDI than audio related though. The thing is I do understand the Logic architecture since I've been working with Logic 9 since its launch. I must admit though that I'm more comfortable in Cubase after using it for 20 years. What I've always sorely missed in Logic is an instrument rack. A feature that sets Cubase apart. The VST rack lets you fire up each plugin instance only once which can then be triggered by any MIDI track on the fly. No need to create a new instance for each instrument track. You just reassign the MIDI channel to trigger a different instrument in the rack, just as if it was a hardware rack. That way you can quickly check different sounds from different plugins for the same MIDI track, and inversely, have different MIDI tracks trigger the same plugin instance.

However Logic X seems to have realised the latter with those multiple MIDI subtracks for the same AU instrument. (What are those Ultrabeat tracks? Groups? They are hierarchically organised. They are definitely different from multitimbral tracks.)

User uploaded file

I found a quick cheat for those interested. If you want to have 8 separate MIDI tracks for your drum sampler, to have BD, SD etc on different tracks, each with independent pans and inserts you can do the following:

* Create a new instrument track with a Logic Ultrabeat template, for ex. Boutique 909.

* Expand the group and assign your preferred drum sampler to the first MIDI subtrack in that group. That's usually the kick track. The following MIDI subtracks are then automatically linked to that AU instrument.

* In your drum sampler, assign the audio outs of each instrument, BD, SD, hats etc. to different audio channels.

* In the Logic subtracks assign the audio outs accordingly.

It would be good to know how to create such a setup from scratch, being able to create more than the 8 tracks in the Ultrabeat template.

Cheers

Jul 27, 2014 1:27 PM in response to R2B

R2B wrote:

What I'm looking for is to recreate for Battery the default MIDI setup for a standard Logic Ultrabeat set, e.g. Boutique 909.Hui

Hi

On an Instrument channel, add a Multi-Output instance of Battery (say 16 Stereo)

In the Mixer, click the small + sign at the bottom of that channel to add Aux channels for the separate outputs from Battery (15 stereo Aux channels + the original Instrument channel.

Select the Aux channels, control click and choose Create Track to add tracks to the Track List

In Battery4, Control Click on each cell and choose the desire output channel from the Output menu: Direct Out. This routes the sounds for that cell to a particular Aux channel in Logic

At this stage, you should be good to go.

As an extra, select all the Aux channels and the Instrument channel in the Track List, and make a Summing Stack via the Track Menu.

Select the main Stack track, and save this as a Patch via the Library 'Save' button.

You can then add the whole shebang to other projects as you wish.

CCT

Aug 3, 2014 2:54 PM in response to bungle73

bungle73 wrote:

Edgar, how did you assign that four Tracks to the same Channel Strip?

Here are two ways:

Copy Track

Select the original Track and then use the "Next Track With Same Channel" command either from the Track Menu or as Key Command

User uploaded file

Reassign Track

Create a new Track and reassign its channel strip to the one you want. Do do so, right-click on the Track Header and choose "Reassign Track". The sub-menus reflect the Layers of the Environment where you navigate to the Environment Object.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Aug 6, 2014 4:17 AM in response to bungle73

Hi bungle. If you follow the instructions by CCTM you should get to the desired result. The crucial part is

"In the Mixer, click the small + sign at the bottom of that channel to add Aux channels for the separate outputs from Battery (15 stereo Aux channels + the original Instrument channel."

This also works if you don't want to assign different audio outs. You get completely independent MIDI tracks triggering the same plugin, ie. solo, pan, inserts are independent.

Who would have thought that an inconspicuous + in the mixer makes all the difference....

Aug 6, 2014 4:36 AM in response to R2B

Hi R2B, I have the following problem with that: it works only with Multi Output Kontakt (well, it's not a big problem, but I want only 1 instrument in Kontakt), and when I create a new Aux in the mixer, it goes automatically to Kont3-4 (and Kont5-6, etc). But why should I load the same instrument twice or more in Kontakt? Ok, as I tried it, for the third Aux I can modify it from Kont5-6 to Kont3-4, but not to the first stereo channel in Kontakt (?).

I hope you understand (sorry, English is not my native language). 🙂 Thanks, you are very helpful guys with Edgar!

Aug 6, 2014 5:20 AM in response to bungle73

I see. It seems your best bet is to use the on/off buttons instead of mute. Control-click on the track header, select "Track header components" and select the on/off option.

I know it's an awkward workaround for a proper solo function but it gives you at least the option for A/B comparisons.

Independent solo and mute in multi-timbral tracks was still available in Logic 9. I was also baffled to see it gone in X. In fact I still hope Apple will finally introduce a virtual MIDI instrument rack like in Cubase. It speeds up my workflow enormously.

Logic X - Independent MIDI tracks for the same AU plugin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.