Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers conditional pop-up menu

I am developing an model in Numbers and I have a question about pop-up menus. The Numbers model is designed to be interactive and we are asking a series of questions to users, which they choose from a list (via a pop-up menu). The first question asked has three options. Based on the answer to the first question, there is a second question. The answers to the second question are depended on the first answer.

So for example, if the answer to Question 1 is "Yes", the next question will give them the options of say "A", "B" and "C". If the answer to Question 1 is "No", the options would be "A" or "D". I am trying to figure out a way to do this, either via pop-up or if-then statements, but so far no luck.

Is there a way to set up a pop-up that is dependent on the answer given in another pop-up?

Many thanks

Jim

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2014 9:30 AM

10 replies

Jan 3, 2017 6:28 AM in response to t quinn

Dear t quinn,

Could you help me in my problem?

I did a Monthly budget excel, which works very good.

Otherwise I became a Mac user some years ago, and iCloud is very useful nowadays.

I wanted to create the same functions my excel in numbers, but I have some problems 😟

I have got many tables in a sheet.

When I choose a Spending type in B3 I would like to choose from the Spending type's type!
As you see, I choose a Public transport from a list in B5, after that, I would like to choose from the Public transport types Card/ticket in C5 cell.

User uploaded file

I'm looking forward your reply!

Thanks,

Attila

Jan 3, 2017 7:49 AM in response to fjody

Hi Attila,

You have found a very old thread. Sometimes it is best to start a new question. However, here is the best I can offer you.

I hate to say "No you can't do that in Numbers" but Numbers does not support wht I call nested popups. There are some fun workarounds that can be appropriate in different settings, but they involve hiding rows with filters and I would recommend against doing that with a budget.

With Numbers you will be reduced to having all your important subtypes in a single popup. We could simplify your life by auto filling the type itself with something like this:

User uploaded file

The subtype popup has all your subtypes not just the ones I have listed.

To auto fill spending type we use LOOKUP()

User uploaded file

Table 1-1 in my example would list all subtypes. If you update it you can convert column A to a popup and copy/paste into table one for an updated popup.

I would suggest you put in a feature request by using the Numbers Menu> Numbers>Provide Numbers Feedback.

Sorry there isn't a better solution for you.

quinn

Jul 29, 2014 10:02 AM in response to hoopsmiller

Here's my suggestion; I hope it makes sense.

If I understand you correctly, you want something like this. First, an initial question is displayed:User uploaded file

Then, depending upon the answer, the next question and options are displayed, so that you have either:

User uploaded file

or

User uploaded file

The way to do this is by having both options in the table, and using a filter to show the appropriate lines. Note that the "Why?" question is line 3, but the "Why not?" question is actually line 4.

I set up a column "C", which will either be "Display" or "Hide", depending upon the result of preceding answer(s). I then used the filter option to only show those rows that have their column C value as "Display". I hid column C for elegance.

Here is column C showing its logical glory:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And here is the filter setting:

User uploaded file

You'll want to check the box to the right of the word "Filters" to turn the filter on, and click the "C" in column C to give you the option to hide the column:

User uploaded file

And then you should be good to go!

Vince

Mar 26, 2015 6:49 AM in response to hoopsmiller

Hello, I'm looking for some help around the same thing and trying to make sense of the post that is already here.

I'm basically trying to create an output based on the drop down selections of two cells. Can't seem to figure it out. If a person chooses something from cell A, then they would select another variable in cell B and based on those two combined would output other information.

Any thoughts around this? Thanks!

Mar 28, 2015 11:25 AM in response to t quinn

Thanks Quinn,

I'm trying to make sense of it myself 🙂 I want to have two cells as in the two screenshots. Picking from the first one and choosing another option from the second cell that corresponds to the first option will ( I'm hoping ) result in a specific set of bullet points in a 3rd cell. Ideally, I'd like to have info that should populate in the 3rd cell located in a separate sheet?

I'm hoping this makes more sense.

Thanks again for helping a novice!

Rene

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mar 28, 2015 12:30 PM in response to renefromcupertino

Hi rene,

Here is a method that will use the values in 2 cells to look up another.

User uploaded file

Table 1::D2 =INDEX(lookup::$A$1:$D$5,MATCH(B2,lookup::$A,0),MATCH(C2,lookup::$1:$1,0))

The first MATCH() looks in column A of the lookup table for the value in B2. INDEX() uses this to find the lookup row.

The second MATCH() looks in Row 1 of the lookup table for the value in C2. INDEX() uses this to find the lookup column.

Hope this helps.

quinn

Numbers conditional pop-up menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.