Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop iTunes from launching when I disconnect my Bluetooth device?

This has only become a problem recently. Whenever I disconnect -- not connect, disconnect -- my Bluetooth Bose SoundLink Mini speaker from my MacBook Pro iTunes will auto-launch. I am current with Mavericks and iTunes updates. There must be a configuration switch that can be tweaked to prevent this from occurring.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there anyone who is a MacBook Pro "expert" who understands what the interactions are between the Bluetooth driver and app software and iTunes, and can speak with authority on what might be going on here?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 9:21 AM

Hacks to stop Bluetooth speaker from starting iTunes - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1666895

26 replies

Feb 14, 2015 11:23 AM in response to happyatheist

I'm thrilled to see that so many humans are having the same issue, but bummed to see zero help on the issue.

One solution I have found is to throw the bluetooth device in the river. I'm not convinced that wireless tunes are worth this horrible design flaw. Actually, I don't think it's fair to blame Bose, if you know what I mean. The Soundlink is a tremendous little gadget with very little fat on it. Granted, an OS is arguably a bit more involved than a single-purpose gadget, but this issue seems to have been around since Mavericks. Can we get our acts together and either fix the flaw or at least post a workaround that actually works?

Sorry I had nothing useful to add, but this is definitely a rant-worthy thread and I just want to keep it alive.

Feb 19, 2015 1:23 PM in response to ReggieMoto

This problem has been an issue for a number of months and has led to frustration and public humiliation on countless occasions.

When disconnecting from my Bose Soundlink at home (playing nothing) in order to taking my laptop on the run I open my laptop to find that the entire contents of my iTunes playlist is being belted in public. The subway, the library, my classroom is not the time or place for my laptop to make the decision to begin playing my music without permission. When at home and my Soundlink goes on standby I have nearly had a heart attack when my laptop spontaneously begins blaring my music when I wasn't even touching the thing.

I love my Soundlink and I love my Mac but together the devices are causing no end of aggravation with no fix in sight. With each OS update I hope the problem is addressed but to no avail, it is getting tiresome that such a flaw isn't being fixed in a timely manner.

Mar 22, 2015 5:18 AM in response to ReggieMoto

It's definitely interesting that this seems to be affecting the Bose Soundlink Mini so widely, which is the problem I'm having. There's definitely some misbehaving between this device and OS X in general because quite often it takes a few attempts to even get it to connect to my MacBook Pro (when I turn it on, it signals that it's connected but then when I try to play something it suddenly disconnected again. Takes a few attempts to stop this happening!) Whether this is an issue Bose need to fix or an issue Apple need to fix, I want it fixed!! Definitely something amiss here.

Apr 2, 2015 9:10 PM in response to ReggieMoto

"I spent about 1.5 hours in a log capture session with an Apple technician last night. She doesn't believe that disconnecting a bluetooth device like this should cause iTunes to autolaunch, "

Few things are more infuriating to me than when a customer service rep tells you that you're not having the problem you're having.

Add me to the list of people having this same annoying glitch, although my Bluetooth speaker is an Ultimate Ears Megaboom, not a Bose.

How can I stop iTunes from launching when I disconnect my Bluetooth device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.