Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader in Safari

How do I disable Adobe Acrobat Reader to prevent Safari from using it to open PDFs? I have Safari 7.0.5, OS X v10.9.4. FYI, there is nothing in my User> HD> Library> Internet Plugins folder. And I've already right clicked on a PDF in Finder and selected the option to always use Preview to open PDFs. But Safari still opens PDFs with Acrobat Reader. Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 5, 2014 6:03 AM

21 replies

Aug 5, 2014 8:08 AM in response to joshua773

Back up all data before making any changes. Please take each of the following steps until the problem is resolved.

Step 1

If Adobe Reader or Acrobat is installed, and the problem is just that you can't print or save PDF's displayed in Safari, you may be able to do so by moving the cursor to the the bottom edge of the page, somewhere near the middle. A black toolbar should appear under the cursor. Click the printer or disk icon.

Step 2

There should be a setting in its preferences of the Adobe application such as Display PDF in Browser. I don't use those applications myself, so I can't be more precise. Deselect that setting, if it's selected.

Step 3

If you get a message such as ""Adobe Reader blocked for this website," then from the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and check the box marked

Allow Plug-ins

Then click

Manage Website Settings...

and make any required changes to the security settings for the Adobe PDF plugin.

Step 4

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it, the copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

From the folder that opens, move to the Trash any items that have "Adobe" or “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then quit and relaunch Safari.

Step 5

The "Silverlight" web plugin distributed by Microsoft can interfere with PDF display in Safari, so you may need to remove it, if it's present. The same goes for a plugin called "iGetter," and perhaps others—I don't have a complete list. Don't remove Silverlight if you use the "Netflix" video-streaming service.

Step 6

Do as in Step 4 with this line:

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins

If you don’t like the results of this procedure, restore the items from the backup you made before you started. Relaunch Safari.

Aug 5, 2014 9:31 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis, thank you for trying to help me with this issue. None of your help steps worked. I'll address each one of your steps.

Step 1: That's not my problem.

Step 2: I did find something in the Adobe program's System Preferences about the internet, but turning everything off didn't help.

Step 3: I do get the ""Adobe Reader blocked for this website" message, but I do not want to unblock it. The problem isn't that Adobe Reader is blocked. The problem is that Safari is using Adobe for PDFs.

Step 4: My /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder is completely empty

Step 5: Silverlight has never been an issue

Step 6: My /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder is completely empty

Thanks though. Any other suggestions?

Unfortunately, I have a few PDFs that require Adobe's horrible program to view them.

Aug 5, 2014 9:51 AM in response to joshua773

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

ls -@Oaen /L*/In*P* | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting.

Aug 5, 2014 11:02 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc Davis. Here's what I got. I don't think there's anything too personal in here. But let me know if there is and I'll delete the post.

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ total 8

-bash: total: command not found

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxr-xr-x 14 0 0 - 476 Jul 31 13:25 .

-bash: drwxr-xr-x: command not found

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxr-xr-x+ 63 0 0 - 2142 Jul 9 10:34 ..

-bash: drwxr-xr-x+: command not found

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ 0: ABCDEFAB-CDEF-ABCD-EFAB-CDEF0000000C deny delete

-bash: 0:: command not found

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 - 102 May 8 07:46 AdobePDFViewer.plugin

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 - 102 May 8 07:46 AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 - 102 Aug 25 2013 Default Browser.plugin

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxrwxr-x 3 0 80 - 102 May 24 2012 EPPEX Plugin.plugin

drwxrwxr-x 3 0 0 - 102 Jul 9 10:35 Flash Player.plugin

drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 - 102 Aug 25 2013 Quartz Composer.webplugin

drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 - 102 Sep 17 2013 QuickTime Plugin.plugin

drwxrwxr-x 3 0 80 - 102 Sep 13 2013 SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

drwxrwxr-x 3 0 80 - 102 Sep 13 2013 SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin

drwxrwxr-x 3 0 80 - 102 Sep 13 2013 Silverlight.plugin

-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 - 856 Jun 24 21:11 flashplayer.xpt

-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 compressed 2394 Oct 22 2013 nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

-bash: drwxrwxr-x: command not found

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxrwxr-x 3 0 0 - 102 Jul 9 10:35 Flash Player.plugin

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 - 102 Aug 25 2013 Quartz Composer.webplugin

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxr-xr-x 3 0 0 - 102 Sep 17 2013 QuickTime Plugin.plugin

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxrwxr-x 3 0 80 - 102 Sep 13 2013 SharePointBrowserPlugin.plugin

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxrwxr-x 3 0 80 - 102 Sep 13 2013 SharePointWebKitPlugin.webplugin

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ drwxrwxr-x 3 0 80 - 102 Sep 13 2013 Silverlight.plugin

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 - 856 Jun 24 21:11 flashplayer.xpt

-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$ -rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 compressed 2394 Oct 22 2013 nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ JoshWysowaty$

Aug 5, 2014 11:05 AM in response to joshua773

Try this:

1. Close Safari

2. Close Acrobat

3. Command + Shift + G

4. In the "Go to the folder:" field, put in the following path: /users/[YOUR_USERNAME]/library/Internet Plug-ins/

5. Remove any of the following items present to another folder on your desktop:

- AdobePDFViewer.plugin

- AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

6. Command + Shift + G

7. In the "Go to the folder:" field, put in the following path: /library/Internet Plug-ins/

8. Remove any of the following items present to another folder on your desktop:

- AdobePDFViewer.plugin

- AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

9. Relaunch Safari

10. Go to a URL with a PDF file

You should be good now.

How to disable Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.