Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 11.3.1.2 Crash

ITunes has always been shocking with its handling of podcasts.. I have setting to say keep 5.. but ITunes seems incapable of doing that.

So I saw this update.. with improves to Podcast handling so was VERY happy..

I updated ITunes.. went to Podcast section and it immediately crashed..

and of course.. as soon as I relaunch ITunes.. it opens on podcast section .. and crashes...GGrrrrrrr

I restart and quickly manage to switch sections before it crashes.. and when I go back to podcast.. it does not crash..

May be I generous and think " may be it got confused as it supposed to have only 5 versions.. but there more" (because it was crap at managing it before)...

So I unsubscribe from all podcasts.. sync.. go to iPhone and make sure that's completely clean as well..

So I got a nice clean Podcast section.. no crash..

I close ITunes.. and restart.. just to make sure..

I then subscribe to my podcast again..

It stars to download first podcast.. and then iTunes crashes again.

Seriously? Life is to short for this kind of grief 😟

Anyone else? or just me? (Please don't let it be "just me"!!)

Please help.. (or share your pain.. so Apple get it fixed ASAFP)

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit..

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 7:03 PM

47 replies

Aug 8, 2014 7:29 PM in response to YojiOne

Quick update,,

I was curious... .. so rebooted my PC (Surely if it needed reboot Apple would have told me to reboot after update?).

First the good news.. no crash yet (touch wood)..

But when I went and resubscribed to my podcast .. there are LOADS of podcasts in this podcast ... so I expected it to download the latest 5

It download three... and not even the latest 3..

It downloaded the latest 1, 3, 4 !!!

So well done guys.. I see the latest update is running true to form 😟

So if people seeing crashes after update.. see if a machine reboot helps..

If you seeing crazy Podcast behaviour.. you can tack onto this thread.. or start your own

Cheers

Aug 9, 2014 8:17 AM in response to YojiOne

Here is my experience and what seems to have fixed the problem for me:

- I rebooted after updating to 11.3.1.2 as the update process indicated. The problem you describe started occurring.

- My PodCast view was the active view, and it crashed as soon as it attempted to access the iTunes store, so I tried quickly switching to a different view, and that got iTunes to stay running, but if I switched back to the PodCast view and tried to refresh my PodCasts, iTunes crashed again.

- I shut down my laptop, disconnected my iPod, and restarted the computer. The problem continued as before.

- I went into the iTunes store directly via the button in the top right corner and went to the podcast listings in there.

- Now I can go to the PodCast view and refresh my podcasts.

I suppose I somehow managed to force an update of some kind by using the iTunes store directly. Hope this helps someone.

Aug 10, 2014 11:19 AM in response to YojiOne

At least I don't feel alone. Every single iTunes updated has cause far more **** than it fixed. I stopped updating intentionally just for that reason. But I went ahead and downloaded the new version and updated and poof , freezes and crashes at the podcast menu. All I use iTunes for is podcasts , so all that said screw apple...they are not the only ones who handle pod's , they were the best but as the saying says if it isnt broken don't fix it. It wasn't broken (much) so apple takes a sledge hammer to it. Hey , hear that ...that is the sweet sounds of Zune calling for you iTunes asking you to follow it into the abyss. Walk into the light , it's o.k. just go ahead.

Aug 11, 2014 8:32 PM in response to YojiOne

I have tried everything! Uninstall, re-install, update, restart, etc and none of it stops iTunes from taking about 10 minutes to update the 20 or so podcasts I subscribe to! I can't even scroll through the list of podcasts. Extremely disappointed with this whole thing. On the other hand, my ipad's podcast app works just fine.

Windows 8

Sony Vaio Core i7

Aug 12, 2014 1:04 AM in response to YojiOne

I have a similar problem. Two Windows 7 64-bit installs. Laptop and desktop. iTunes comes up in podcast view and crashes in a few seconds. After a few retries it didn't crash and then I noticed the 16 video podcasts I had downloaded but not watched yet had all been deleted from disk and were listed in the view with the little cloud "to be downloaded" icon. So I downloaded them all again overnight. Now I've restarted iTunes and coming up in podcast view and crashing in a few seconds again. I'm not going back in until I've watched or copied the podcast files somewhere. Sigh.

Aug 12, 2014 1:22 AM in response to YojiOne

I unfortunately updated (not that I was experiencing any issues). Now I can't click the 'download' button next to a podcast without iTunes crashing. I can't even play a podcast with the application crashing. So, off to the interwebs to find alternatives to iTunes. I have already reinstalled. Uninstalled. Deleted my XML file and imported my iTunes library from scratch. Still no joy. All on Windows 7 x64 as well.

Aug 12, 2014 5:48 AM in response to YojiOne

I have done software development for 30 years and I cannot believe that Apples releases iTune updates with such serious bugs. Their support is really non existent. Apple should at least announce this issue and say they are working on it. Someone in management should be replaced. I am in the process of moving my podcast to MediaMonkey. They have a good product and I can contact their technical people directly.

Aug 12, 2014 6:22 PM in response to YojiOne

Just updated to 11.3.1.2 in the hopes it would address the frequent crashes conveniently supplied with the previous update... no joy; crashes as frequently (if not more as the prior 11.3 version).

I noticed in the windows event log the following two log errors are produced with every crash:

==================== Application, Event ID: 1000 ====================
Faulting application name: iTunes.exe, version: 11.3.1.2, time stamp: 0x53dc1f90
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000008
Faulting process id: 0x194c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfb691d4163417
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 3e14abc1-2285-11e4-bdd7-b482fe646b36

==================== .NET Runtime, Event ID: 1026 ====================
Application: iTunes.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00000008
Stack:

I rebooted as part of the 11.3.1.2 "upgrade".

These crashes occur with my two primary iTunes libraries, from either the "Music Library" or iTunes Store.

The behavior is (no iPod is connected):

1. Start iTunes
  2. Wait for iTunes to start.
  3. Expect iTunes to crash within 1-2 minutes; regardless of activity within iTunes (idle, browsing music library, downloading, browsing iTunes store)
  4. Expectations met.

Windows 7 (32 bit)

I had attempted to uninstall/reinstall the previous version with no success; the problem remained after a clean uninstall/reinstall.

Aug 14, 2014 8:37 AM in response to YojiOne

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

If you've already tried a complete uninstall and reinstall try opening iTunes in safe mode (hold down CTRL+SHIFT as you start iTunes) then going to Edit > Preferences > Store and turning off Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases. You may find iTunes will now start normally.

You could also try working through

TS1717: iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues

tt2

Itunes 11.3.1.2 Crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.