Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App icon changes to generic iOS icon once installed

So, this one I can't quite make heads or tails of—while the app is downloading and installing on the iPad, I can see the app's real icon design behind the progress wheel, but once it's finished installing, the icon just turns into a generic iOS icon as if there was not one designed by the developer. This is happening specifically with the NPR One app. At first I was thinking it might have something to do with the fact that it's an iPhone app downloaded to an iPad, but I've been unable to replicate this issue with any other iPhone-only app. Thus far, I've tried deleting and reinstalling, deleting, restarting the iPad, and then reinstalling to no avail.

I've taken screen caps while installing and after:

While installing > http://cl.ly/X2Pc

After installing > http://cl.ly/X1ct

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 3:50 PM

30 replies

Nov 20, 2017 2:17 PM in response to Buadhai

Having the same issue with the Strava app on brand new iPad (128GB 2017 model with over 60GB free) for some weeks now and since both Garmin Connect and Foscam apps got updated this evening, now have three corrupted app icons on my iPad.. has anyone got a solution? All very frustrating for such an expensive with a supposed ‘just works’ cap. My older iPad mini is having the same issue and that’s stil on iOS 10 as I’m holding off upgrading to avoid the expected immediate battery degradation and performance issues which seem to be the norm to drive customers to buy new devices...

Dec 1, 2017 7:22 AM in response to JNeail

Ditto for me with the Strava and Garmin Connect apps. Both iPhone apps, and both now with a generic icon.

However, this condition for me started weeks ago with the beta builds of iOS 11.2. Beta 5 just got pushed out and the issues persist. I have an older iPad Air (2014), and have no major issues with them in general, and the apps do operate correctly. BTW I do not have my phone in the Apple beta program (currently running 11.1.2) and the icons of the newest versions of Strava and Garmin Connect are fine.

I suspect it’s a combination of the OS, anf the apps being classified as “iPhone only.” I’ll be contacting the developer, so it’s a wait and see.

Dec 1, 2017 9:15 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Got this reply from the Strava developers. Issue should be fixed with a future app update.

Thanks for writing in. We are aware of the recent iPad iOS 11.1 update removing icons for a number apps on iPad devices. We are working on restoring the missing icon and appreciate your patience. Even though the icon graphic is not present, the application will still open.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

Erikaceae

Strava Support Team

Aug 13, 2014 4:51 PM in response to Alex T.

You're welcome. Thanks for including the name of the app and the steps you already tried in your question. Normally the strange icon means a failed download. Ralph's reset would be step 1. Delete and reinstall step 2. Downloading the app to your computer and syncing a possible third step. In the end you'd still have the strange app.

Aug 13, 2014 10:38 PM in response to Alex T.

This isn;t a bug and no fix is necessary. What you are seeing is a placeholder icon that appears to let you know that the app is downloading. It remains until the app has fully downloaded. If you continue to see this icon, it means the app has NOT downloaded completely.

Tap that icon to restart the download or it that doesn't work, go to App Store, navigate to Purchased items and tap to restart the download there.

Aug 13, 2014 11:01 PM in response to Alfred DeRose

Aloha Alfred. Good to see you're alive and well, with the new format it's hard to keep up with my regulars. You never have to apologize to me, half of what I know about iPad's I learnt from you. Did you notice I can finally add screenshots from my iPad ? It almost looks like i know what i'm talking about.

Stay well and keep up the good work. Bob.

Jan 17, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Alex T.

I have the same issue of the generic icon on my iPad with two iPhone apps, To Due and DayMap. To Due is a recent addition that has always shown a generic icon but DayMap used to have a correct icon, although I did have to redownload it because of an issue. In purchased apps the only option is open.. Both apps work perfectly and sync correctly with their Mac versions, so no problems there. Just a tad annoying.

Mar 2, 2015 6:04 PM in response to ksingernc

I also have several generic icons on my iPad running OS 8. The apps involved are fully downloaded and work fine.

I finally decided to backup to iTunes, do a factory reset and restore from the backup. That all went well, but the generic icons are still there.

I don't want to delete and reinstall the apps. One of them is Launch in which I have created many custom actions. I assume that I will lose all of those if I delete and reinstall the app.

Any ideas?

May 14, 2015 9:32 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Alfred, you've just stumbled into one of my peeves! Helpful people who post with brash confidence, exclaiming they know exactly what is going on, when the evidence and reality states otherwise. It's important to recognize the limits to one's knowledge and avoid categorical, sweeping judgments!

You state that "no fix is necessary", yet proceed to describe a fix! You state that the generic icon shows up because the app hasn't fully downloaded, yet many are describing fully-functional apps!

That suggests a different problem or people wouldn't be seeing generic icons. Your solution is a good idea, but for the many of us who have tried that, there needs to be other ideas!

Note : I have two apps that, no matter what I do in terms of downloads, their app icon is the generic one! Both have fully downloaded and both are fully functional. Whether the bug is the iOS, the developer's code, or an interaction, I do not know-- but it is clear that something is broken. I've tried deleting and reinstalling; deleting, resetting, and reinstalling; downloading other apps whose icons are always fine; etc. No dice!

What I haven't yet done is to delete, delete on the Mac, connect via iTunes, and redo load from within there, and then synch...

I'll report back when I've tried that. In the meantime, maybe you or someone else has some other ideas!

App icon changes to generic iOS icon once installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.